Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

Peugeot PX-10 for sale by original owner

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-19, 08:28 AM
GEMoore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually...by the daughter of the original owner, who was given this bike and then rode it through grad school and a post-doc. Not a bike flipper. Would like to see this bike go to someone who wants it.

Price reduced to $300, including shipping.

Probably a PX-10LE, but can't tell for sure from the vintage websites. Am not certain of the year of purchase, but circa 1975. Hasn't been ridden in many years, though (most amazing) the tubulars still hold air.

See on Craig's List.
https://ithaca.craigslist.org/bik/d/...944485723.html
Old 08-26-19, 09:37 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by GEMoore
Actually...by the daughter of the original owner, who was given this bike and then rode it through grad school and a post-doc. Not a bike flipper. Would like to see this bike go to someone who wants it.

Probably a PX-10LE, but can't tell for sure from the vintage websites. Am not certain of the year of purchase, but circa 1975. Hasn't been ridden in many years, though (most amazing) the tubulars still hold air.

See on Craig's List.
This is a real deal....where are the Peugeot lovers at?
GLWTS, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 08-26-19, 12:29 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts
already loving my '72 PX10! your bike is a great deal!
Old 08-26-19, 02:50 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts

See on Craig's List.
Smokin deal, kinda small which will help when that person comes along, until then......

Blue, great color, looks to be in good shape. Simplex skewers still there with one wingnut toast, covers ok.

Can't see seat and post good enough to identify, post still Simplex, seat?

Waaay too small for me and I foolishly paid more for one that was pretty rough, had good original post and bolt, cranks and caps, BB, HS, skewers, cable clips, RD, front wheel and both hubs.

Key factors aside from that were Nervex Pro's AND as close to my size at 62cm.

GLWS
Old 08-26-19, 09:06 PM
GEMoore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac

Blue, great color, looks to be in good shape.

Can't see seat and post good enough to identify, post still Simplex, seat?
GLWS
It's in fine shape. I myself ride an '83 Vitus 979 as my main ride, and recently sold my childhood Schwinn Sting-Ray Fastback. So I'm pretty familiar with old bikes, and this PX-10 is nice.

I am not into classic bikes, other than to ride the bikes I've owned and loved (don't see the point in getting rid of a perfectly good bike). I have no idea what a Simplex seat post looks like. The current saddle is an Avocet Touring I that has a C-clamp type of mounting. I would guess it's not the original seat post, but have no idea.

GEM
Old 08-26-19, 09:24 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
Great looking bike! Good luck. I love mine.
Old 08-26-19, 09:28 PM
Sprocket Turner

Bikes: '73 Mondia Special, '73 Frejus TDF, '84 Gitane Rallye Tandem, '85 Trek (Custom) 660, 85/86 Gitane Professional, and a few more!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
It's in fine shape. I myself ride an '83 Vitus 979 as my main ride, and recently sold my childhood Schwinn Sting-Ray Fastback. So I'm pretty familiar with old bikes, and this PX-10 is nice.

I am not into classic bikes, other than to ride the bikes I've owned and loved (don't see the point in getting rid of a perfectly good bike). I have no idea what a Simplex seat post looks like. The current saddle is an Avocet Touring I that has a C-clamp type of mounting. I would guess it's not the original seat post, but have no idea.

GEM
I sent an email via craigslist. I'm very interested in it for my 5'2" spouse.
Old 08-27-19, 12:40 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts

GEM
No worries, SP if original would have a very small Simplex badge at the top front of it, on this bike Sp and binder bolt, toptube cable clips, F+RD, shifters, skewers and dropouts would all be Simplex if original, it was all very lightweight and parts of them could be somewhat fragile when proper care was not taken during repair and adjustment. So when we see some that has survived well it's a bonus.

The Avocet is a good saddle and a find if in good shape as well, original would have been a Brooks Pro I believe.
Old 08-27-19, 05:23 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
This is a real deal....where are the Peugeot lovers at?
GLWTS, Ben
I'm here, I like the color, but it's too small, (and i'll let it stay intact, rather than stripping it and waiting for a 58 cm PX-10 or Gitane TdF to come along). Great chance for the right person.
Old 08-27-19, 07:59 AM
GEMoore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
No worries, SP if original would have a very small Simplex badge at the top front of it, on this bike Sp and binder bolt, toptube cable clips, F+RD, shifters, skewers and dropouts would all be Simplex if original, it was all very lightweight and parts of them could be somewhat fragile when proper care was not taken during repair and adjustment. So when we see some that has survived well it's a bonus.

The Avocet is a good saddle and a find if in good shape as well, original would have been a Brooks Pro I believe.
Seat post is definitely not Simplex, but all the other parts are; they don't look to be too fragile, but we have only cleaned it up and have done nothing to recondition the bike. You're correct, one of the skewer nuts has been replaced with a plastic & brass butterfly nut. I'm told the original saddle was indeed a Brooks, but it wore out (must have been some time ago if it was replaced with an Avocet Touring I. I had an Avocet Touring II on my Vitus that I really liked (but have since discovered Brooks!), so the saddle is a nice replacement in good condition (if not a Brooks).

It was originally the bike of my friend's Mom, who gave it to her as a commuter when my friend was in grad school in the late 90's. It was ridden through her post-doc fellowship until she got a faculty position. She's a biomechanist, so is pretty good with maintaining gizmos and hardware. The bike has the remnants of a university or town registration sticker on the top tube, but it appears to be paper so should come off fairly easily. Hasn't been ridden in 15 years or so. She has a box of old bike stuff, including several folded-up tubular tires that have gotten totally rigid. That's why I'm amazed that the tires on the bike still hold air (they were pumped up a month ago and are holding pressure!).
Old 08-27-19, 10:08 AM
cpsqlrwn
OldSchool

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Sent a message thru Craigslist