Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Advocating new Single-tracks in my town ... so much ignorant hate

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Advocating new Single-tracks in my town ... so much ignorant hate

Old 08-27-19, 12:20 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Truth ^^^

“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
Donny Miller

But I guess in our internet culture, you can find the information that supports your personal bias and stop there and claim you're informed. [/shrug]
Old 08-27-19, 01:06 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
But I guess in our internet culture, you can find the information that supports your personal bias and stop there and claim you're informed. [/shrug]
Of course. And it's hard for people who work full time and active in their down time, to compete in board meetings and courtrooms with people who are retired. At least you don't seem to have the wealthy horse owners hoarding trails like we do here
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-04-19, 02:07 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
I've got a bunch to say on this topic when the time is right.
I'm a member of an organized group who builds and maintain trails in NJ. Advocating for new parks has been very difficult especially with opposing groups of hikers, equestrians and environmentalists.
When things like this happens in a rogue trail, it helps no one:
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...430856233.html

Now the family is suing the town. We are monitoring the municipal response to the case.
Old 09-18-19, 09:43 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

That wasn't a shocking outcome - hoping that the courts and city didn't waste too much time and money on this frivolous suit.

I expect it's too late in the season to start trail work. But the path is clear to get started in the spring!

Edit: Forgot to share that the opposition are starting a campaign to vote out council members that voted in favor of the new trails. They know how to win friends and influence people.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 09-18-19 at 12:49 PM.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-08-19, 02:38 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

It's been a long trail getting to this point .... but we have a timeline to get to ride trails by (hopefully) Sep 2020 - https://eminnetonka.com/current-proj...ain-bike-trail
Old 08-19-20, 07:11 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Update: Another lawsuit threat

City Receives Notice of Intent to Sue

On Wednesday, Aug. 5, the city learned the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) intends to take legal action if within 60 days the city does not apply for an Incidental Take Permit (ITP) and develop a habitat conservation plan pursuant to the federal Endangered Species Act regarding the rusty patch bumblebee and the city’s mountain bike trail in Lone Lake Park.

Although the CBD asserts that an ITP is required, the city is still collecting the information necessary to make that determination.

City Actions to Protect Bee Habitat

The city is currently developing a mitigation plan to identify and address potential impacts to the rusty patch bumble bee and any habitat in the area of the mountain bike trail. The city hired Barr Engineering to prepare a biological assessment of the area and the University of Minnesota is conducting a bee survey. The city also continues to consult closely in this effort with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the federal agency that oversees implementation of Endangered Species Act requirements.

Once these assessments are complete, the city will be able to make a responsible, informed decision regarding whether federal law requires an ITP and habitat conservation plan in addition to the city’s current mitigation plans for the bees.
I spent a couple hours last night with a group of volunteers and city staff removing invasive plants from the trail corridor. I'm happy that the city is continuing to move forward with the trails.

The painful irony is that those opposing the single-track trails are using the bees for their NIMBY objectives. If saving bees (and pollinators) was honestly their goals, they'd be working to eliminate the massive pollinator wasteland of suburban turf lawns, ban the use of pesticides and herbicides. But their one-and-only way to save the bees is to stop this trail. I'm no expert (not in the least), but I'm having a very hard time understanding how a dirt trail would require an ITP to protect bee habitat ... for reference, this park has dirt paths, limestone paths, paved paths, soccer fields, tennis courts, basketball courts, new last year pickleball courts (these NIMBYs had nothing to say about that) ... and the NIMBYs are silent about the townhouses being built on farmstead property adjoining Lone Lake Park.

[/whining]
Old 09-11-20, 07:14 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

I saw this recently too ...

"Biologists have concluded that habitat loss is not the biggest reason for the bee’s decline, the service said. Additional factors include pesticides, disease and climate change."

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/0...ered-bumblebee

Edit - forgot to say that after a summer of buckthorn removal, the trail building started last night too.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 09-11-20 at 09:37 AM.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 09-11-20, 12:49 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I aplaud your stubbornness to see this through. I have seen similar issues with getting trails approved here locally. If I am ever passing through Minnetonka, I will stop and see the trail and buy you a beer.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 09-15-20, 05:06 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 128 Posts
That's awesome! Congrats on sticking with it to the end.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 11-04-20, 04:57 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

I honestly didn't believe this day would ever come! 3 years after starting this thread, 4 years after I started working with the advocacy group, 5 years since high school kids raised the funds to research trails in Minnetonka ... I was invited to ride the 'soft' opening of the trails this afternoon. So proud of all the hours of volunteer work and advocacy and hard fought battles to get to this point.

Old 11-04-20, 08:32 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I'm so glad to hear this.

There's a network of trails near me that are heavily bike trafficked but not technically legal. More like posession is 9/10 of the law. The land manager has had the bike club going in circles for twenty years
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 11-05-20, 08:33 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Here's a quick (Quik) edit from my preview ride last night, not sure when the opening will be announced - I expect they will wait until the ground is frozen and we have snow pack. It was a great evening to ride, it really shows the beauty of this trail!

Old 11-05-20, 05:08 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Nice!

Congrats on your perseverance.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 11-05-20, 09:31 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Here's a quick (Quik) edit from my preview ride last night, not sure when the opening will be announced - I expect they will wait until the ground is frozen and we have snow pack. It was a great evening to ride, it really shows the beauty of this trail!
Looks nice. No need for long travel there.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 11-20-20, 08:52 PM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Kudos bro.

Hypno Toad congratulations.

I spent two decades doing MTB advocacy. Eventually I was fired from California State Parks. And burned out.

We learned a lot and grew a thicker skin. Got some trails done too!

​​​​​​
Likes For Sorcerer:
Old 12-08-20, 02:44 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

We have entered the NIMBY terrorist phase of the new single-track trails (Facebook post screenshot below). I know the rider bitten, and I understand the dog owner is a known NIMBY member.

On the bright side, I rode the trail early today to look for any new vandalism (I found nothing today), and bumped into local PD officer walking the trails. This officer is a mountain bike fan and excited to ride the new trails ... I'd love to see him interact with the bitty-dog-lady (he recommended mace and kicking any attacking dog).