Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Should I experiment with different chain lube before picking the right one for me?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Should I experiment with different chain lube before picking the right one for me?

Old 10-10-19, 01:00 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
FWIW, I have experimented with different lubes and finally decided ... the differences between any of them aren't worth worrying about. Extending the life of my $10 chain is a low priority.

If you're rocking featherweight DuraAce stuff the considerations might change.
Likes For wphamilton:
Old 10-10-19, 01:18 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Your efforts are better spent measuring your chain for stretch every few months, and replacing the chain when it gets too worn ("stretched"). New chain for your bike is only $10.

Use any chain lube. Regular cleaning and lubing will make the chain last longer, but it's only $10 for a new chain.
Old 10-10-19, 01:33 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26375 Post(s)
Liked 10,353 Times in 7,191 Posts
Old 10-10-19, 01:51 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Design of Experiments

Really, people? Simple anecdotes about what you tried and how you're satisfied?

How is that an experiment. The OP said that he'd like to experiment.

The American Society of Quality Engineering has web instruction on Design of Experiments (DOE), that may be beneficial to the OP. Of course, he'll have to master several disciplines including quantitative methods, and build testing facilities, probably hire a few graduate students or interns....maybe apply for a Government grant. Hmmmm...

Or, he could simply buy some lube and use it...
Old 10-10-19, 02:59 PM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Really, people? Simple anecdotes about what you tried and how you're satisfied?

How is that an experiment. The OP said that he'd like to experiment.

The American Society of Quality Engineering has web instruction on Design of Experiments (DOE), that may be beneficial to the OP. Of course, he'll have to master several disciplines including quantitative methods, and build testing facilities, probably hire a few graduate students or interns....maybe apply for a Government grant. Hmmmm...

Or, he could simply buy some lube and use it...
Why re-invent the wheel...

This has been done many times around the world.
Zero Friction Lube Testing
Old 10-10-19, 04:34 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,902 Posts
or use honey... it'd be the sweetest product on the bicycle!
Old 10-10-19, 06:57 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
There have been several lab-based experiments testing commercial chain lubes for both friction and durability. A Google search should turn up a number of them including one Velonews magazine did a while ago. Be a bit cynical of the ones sponsored by a specific maker.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 10-10-19, 08:30 PM
Ronsonic 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Cleaning the chain, lubing it and replacing it before it is badly worn - this is far more important than what lube you use or how you clean it.

I will recommend that the wax based stuff in the big box stores is mostly crap. Motor oil is better.
Likes For Ronsonic:
Old 10-11-19, 05:32 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3647 Post(s)
Liked 5,380 Times in 2,731 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike569
I m thinking of experimenting or test different type of lubes from different brands to see which one is the best for my Giant ATX 3 mtb.
How will you know which is best?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-11-19, 07:06 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Cut the guy some slack, the OP is a newbie.

I’ve been riding for more years than I care to count and I am still experimenting with different chain lubes.

As someone mentioned earlier, Muc-Off seems to be coming out with new lubricant formulations. I like their dry and wet lubes.

BTW, in addition to good lubrication a chain needs regular cleaning (I don’t want to start a how-best-to-clean-a chain debate). A clean and well-lubed chain runs smoother, quieter and it is easier on expensive drive components.

Ride often, ride safely.
Old 10-11-19, 07:07 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Ronsonic
Cleaning the chain, lubing it and replacing it before it is badly worn - this is far more important than what lube you use or how you clean it.

I will recommend that the wax based stuff in the big box stores is mostly crap. Motor oil is better.
This!
Old 10-11-19, 07:08 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I think, as already pointed out, It is more important that we clean and lube the chain regularly then the which brand of chain lube we use

I use WD 40 Wet chain lube because that is what was on the shelf at my local Canadian Tire store. Works fine. Thick enough to not splash on the frame and wheels, Thin enough to penetrate into the chain. They have a Dry chain lube too.

Since a bottle will last me years, I don't even look at the price.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 10-11-19, 07:15 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by HillRider
There have been several lab-based experiments testing commercial chain lubes for both friction and durability. A Google search should turn up a number of them including one Velonews magazine did a while ago. Be a bit cynical of the ones sponsored by a specific maker.
The only “problem” with articles, like the Velonews write up, is that new lubricants, with better formulations, keep popping up all the time. Hard to keep up with all the new stuff.
Old 10-11-19, 07:43 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
1. After frying your bacon for breakfast on Sunday morning, remove the chain from your bike and soak it in the hot grease.
2. Remove the chain and let it cool/congeal.
3. Re-install chain and report back with results.

I am hoping we can merge this thread with the latest 'chased by a dog' thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...l#post21158084
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 10-11-19, 07:48 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronsonic
Pro tip: If you are on a long ride and need chain lube (caught in the rain and wax lube washes off, for example), go to any gas station, look into the garbage cans by the pumps, and you almost definitely will find an 'empty' motor oil bottle. This bottle will contain ~20-50ml of oil that can be carefully applied to your chain. Apply as thin a coat as you can, let it soak in a bit, then wipe the excess off with a paper towel from the gas station.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier:
Old 10-11-19, 08:18 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
I've tried a lot of different lubes over the years and what I like about Squirt is that it is clean. I stopped rolling up my pants leg and don't worry about grabbing the chain if it derails or when swapping it onto my trainer. There is nothing to get on your hands that doesn't wipe right off. And it also makes the bike silent. The downside is it doesn't last, 100 miles at most.

But any chain lube is better than no lube.

I also have a box of new KMC chains and a chain checker, and am ready to replace any that need it at any time.
Old 10-11-19, 08:25 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6194 Post(s)
Liked 4,193 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
As you may have gathered "the best chain lubes" questions are a very contentious and have been beaten to death in many, many long threads here. Almost everyone has their favorite and defends it vociferously. A search should give you hours of reading material.

Basically there are two classes of chain lubes:

1. Wax based types, either melted wax or wax dissolved in an evaporating solvent. These work well enough in very dry conditions like the desert southwest. They are quiet and very clean but not very durable and, depending on the type, can be laborious to use. They do not work well in wet conditions at all.

2. Oil based, either oil, specialty oil or heavy oils thinned with evaporating solvents. These are easy to apply and work well in general and wet conditions but tend to attract dirt if the excess isn't wiped off.

As above, pick almost any one of the commercial lubes (or make your own as described in several other threads) depending on your riding conditions and use it frequently. You are unlikely to be able to make any meaningful comparison among the available brands and all will work adequately.
While I agree with your two classes of chain lubricant, I disagree with one having superior performance in wet conditions. People tend to misinterpret their observations of chain lubricants when used in wet conditions. While it is true that wax lubricants will squeak following rain, the lubricant isn't being "washed off" as many people seem to think. Wax doesn't have an appreciable water solubility. It really can't be "washed off". The wax doesn't flow back in to the gaps in the chain so water can get in contact with the metal and cause some oxidation. The chain "squeaks" because the lubricant doesn't back fill. Application of more wax lube following rain can alleviate this problem by filling in the gaps.

Oil, on the other hand, does flow back into the gaps but it also carries water with it. Water and oil will eventually do what water and oil do and phase separate after you quit churning them as you pedal. The water settles out on the bottom right next to the metal and will do the same thing that it does with the wax. The issue is that the oil masks the "squeak" from the oxidation. It's doing the same damage but it's just hidden now. If you ride in rain with an oil based lubricant you should do the same as with a wax based lubricant and reapply following rain.

There is also the issue of grit that the oil traps and transports down into the chain. The only part of the grit that is important is the silicon dioxide part but that is the largest percentage of all the grit in the World. The grit is harder than the steel and erodes it. The result is wear of the chain pins.On yet another hand, the wax, because it can't flow back into gaps after it is forced out, allows for more metal-to-metal contact which results in wear as well.

The point of all this yammering is that both lubricants offer about the same "protection" against wear. Different mechanisms but the result is the same. Whether you use oil or wax, you can expect just about the same amount of wear on a chain. Mike569 can experiment to his heart's content...I never say to someone to not experiment...but I doubt the result is going to be significantly different.

One final point of yammering is mileage between application. I've found through my own experimentation that application of wax doesn't need to be all that often. I get 600 to 700 miles between application of a solvent based wax lubricant. I certainly don't need to apply it every 50 to 100 miles. I get the same mileage out of a chain as most other people report. The advantage I find with the wax lube is that I don't have to clean it all the time. I clean chains once prior to installation. That's the last time I clean them. I lube it when it needs it or after rain but I don't spend a lot of time...in some reported cases here on the Bike Forums, an inordinate amount of time... on cleaning.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-11-19, 08:27 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by zacster
But any chain lube is better than no lube.
I really wish I had the guts to test that statement. Nothing that you can do to a chain will extend the life much past about 3500 miles. I really wonder if an unlubricated chain on a bike that is kept indoors but ridden outdoors would make that much of a difference?
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-11-19, 08:45 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
One final point of yammering is mileage between application. I've found through my own experimentation that application of wax doesn't need to be all that often. I get 600 to 700 miles between application of a solvent based wax lubricant. I certainly don't need to apply it every 50 to 100 miles. I get the same mileage out of a chain as most other people report. The advantage I find with the wax lube is that I don't have to clean it all the time. I clean chains once prior to installation. That's the last time I clean them. I lube it when it needs it or after rain but I don't spend a lot of time...in some reported cases here on the Bike Forums, an inordinate amount of time... on cleaning.
I find it just starts getting noisy, or at least not silent, on my road bike after about 100 miles. It probably doesn't bother me enough on my commuter and I go longer on that one, but since I've retired it isn't getting nearly as much use, just occasionally when I run an errand that doesn't require a car or where it doesn't matter that I'm a bit sweaty.

I only clean my chain because I like to have a clean bike and I use the park tool complete wash method, which gets the chain wet regardless. But that's like a twice a year thing unless I get caught in the rain which I rarely do.
Old 10-11-19, 03:03 PM
cyccommute 

I find it just starts getting noisy, or at least not silent, on my road bike after about 100 miles. It probably doesn't bother me enough on my commuter and I go longer on that one, but since I've retired it isn't getting nearly as much use, just occasionally when I run an errand that doesn't require a car or where it doesn't matter that I'm a bit sweaty.
Granted the noise of a waxed chain is different from an oiled one. The question to ask, however, is whether or not that is important? There is a difference between the kind of clattery noise I hear with a waxed chain and the squeak of a rusting chain. I seldom hear a chain that squeaks. My mileage is also similar to what other people using oil report. I don't feel I'm doing anything wrong if I get the same result as others using oil.

I only clean my chain because I like to have a clean bike and I use the park tool complete wash method, which gets the chain wet regardless. But that's like a twice a year thing unless I get caught in the rain which I rarely do.
I like my chain to be clean. That's really the only thing that bothers me about dirt on bicycles. Since my chain goes on clean and the lubricant I use remains clean, I don't have to do any other kind of cleaning as I would if I were using oil lubricants.

Everything else on my bikes are sealed and no dirt, dust or water can get into them. I don't mind surface dirt and look on it as a badge of honor. Charles Shultz put it well in regards to Pig-Pen

Don't think of it as dust. Just think of it as the dirt and dust of far-off lands blowing over here and settling on "Pig-Pen!" It staggers the imagination! He may be carrying the soil that was trod upon by Solomon or Nebuchadnezzar or Genghis Khan!
My bikes carries the dust of the ancients upon it!

Old 10-11-19, 03:51 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Okay, so the million-dollar question, then, is how does just a regular rider who is not a mechanic tell when it's time for a new chain?
Old 10-11-19, 04:21 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26375 Post(s)
Liked 10,353 Times in 7,191 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Okay, so the million-dollar question, then, is how does just a regular rider who is not a mechanic tell when it's time for a new chain?
...you measure it.
Old 10-11-19, 04:33 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Replacing Chain

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Thank you very much!
Old 10-13-19, 03:51 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I really wish I had the guts to test that statement. Nothing that you can do to a chain will extend the life much past about 3500 miles. I really wonder if an unlubricated chain on a bike that is kept indoors but ridden outdoors would make that much of a difference?
Before I began using the ultrasonic cleaner I cleaned my chain in an old Ragu bottle with solvent. A chain lasted a little over 6000 miles. With the cleaner they lasted over 14,000 miles. I replace at 1/16" wear. I use chainsaw bar oil for lube.
Old 10-13-19, 04:51 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by davidad
Before I began using the ultrasonic cleaner I cleaned my chain in an old Ragu bottle with solvent. A chain lasted a little over 6000 miles. With the cleaner they lasted over 14,000 miles. I replace at 1/16" wear. I use chainsaw bar oil for lube.
You’ve made these claims before and I find them hard to believe. You are claiming 3 to 5 times what most every other person out there claims. Perhaps you have found some magic elixir but no one else seems to have found the same elixir. I’ve used something similar to chainsaw bar oil (Phil’s Tenaceous Oil) and didn’t find it to be anything other than incredibly messy and a dirt magnet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.