Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Road cycling in southern Delaware?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-15-19, 02:44 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts

We move back to the US in a couple months and we'll probably be spending a lot of time at my parents' house in southern Delaware (Millsboro to be exact).

When I drive there from the DC area on Rt 404, I see bicycle signs but have never seen any cyclists on it. I can only recall seeing a handful of cyclists on the roads there in the past few years. I'd also love to ride from Rehobeth down to Ocean City, MD on the 1. Is there a path there?

Are there safe routes there?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 10-15-19, 04:00 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I live 6 miles west of Bethany Beach. Rte.404 does not have many cyclists because of the amount of traffic and it is moving very fast. It does have signs posted for bicycles but it is not a dedicated bike lane/path. I ride in traffic a lot, not usually bothered by it, but I would not like riding on 404. Rehoboth to Ocean City on Coastal Hwy., Rte.1, does have a lot of cyclists, especially in the summer months. There is not a dedicated bike path other than a couple of spots. There is a bike "path" that runs from Rehoboth to Lewes, and Indian River bridge has a separate, protected pedestrian/bike lane on the east side of the span.Rte. 1 does have a wide shoulder in very good condition but it is not separated from the highway. It is a very nice, scenic ride. Lots of cyclists use it. Ocean City does have what they call a bike/bus lane that runs the entire length of Ocean City. It is not bad except for in the summer. I do ride that usually early morning. Once again, it is not separate or protected from the traffic lanes. If you would like more info, I can help. Also, google bike Delaware and bike Ocean City, Md.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 10-15-19, 04:47 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
delbiker1, much appreciated for the feedback. I don't mind riding in traffic, but usually the question is does traffic mind riding with you. I'll search for those two things and get back to you.

Let's see what kind of weather we get this coming winter. My Dad has actually had to take out his snowblower a couple times in the past couple years.

BTW, are you aware of any rides that run the length of the state? I grew up in Dover and distinctly remember learning that DE is less than 100 miles long so there must be something that celebrates that.
Old 10-15-19, 05:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
Liked 15,484 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by pennpaul
BTW, are you aware of any rides that run the length of the state? I grew up in Dover and distinctly remember learning that DE is less than 100 miles long so there must be something that celebrates that.
DoubleCross | White Clay Bicycle Club
Old 10-15-19, 07:45 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
I suggest you check out the Sussex County Cyclists club. Even if you don't join or do their club/group rides, their website has lots of good info.

Sussex Cyclists - Home
Old 10-15-19, 08:17 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Just an FYI...The Delaware Double Cross goes East-West. Check out the Bike to the Bay which goes North -South. It's an annual MS Charity Ride.
Old 10-15-19, 08:42 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,461 Posts
In addition to what’s already been said, southern De has lots of country rides with little traffic and generally courteous drivers. There are some nice roads north from Millsboro towards Milford and east towards Lewes and Ocean View. I especially like Route 1 along the beach. 404 is fine with a wide shoulder but boring and lots of traffic noise.