Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

First real swim...

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

First real swim...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 12:28 PM
judson

Bikes: Scott Team MTB, Trek Hilo 1000, Bianchi Denali

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First real swim...

So I tried swimming for the first time yesterday. I say first time, but in truth I have gone to the pool many times before for more social aspects than fitness. OMG, This was an eye opener. I could only get through about 250-275 meters before I was toast, I even rested somewhere in there.
I figure I can pedal the bike in a lower gear, walk if need be in the run, but I will surely drown if I don't make it through the swim. lol. I may never make it to the bike!!! My wife was trying her best to show me the ropes (she was swimmer in high school). I'm a little sore in muscles I didn't know were there, but not too beat up. I was thinking of hiring a coach to help my swimming (or flailing) so I don't have to relearn technique. I'm planning on doing a sprint distance next year, after I build some endurance and lose some weight. I'm a little hesitent about a training plan as I travel extensively for work. Sticking to a plan may be discouraging as I have little control over where I might be, hours and time I have to commit. Most hotels have a tredmill, pool and or stationary bike. I've been pretty good about doing something most days being gone but a lot of days are 12-16 hours long. Eating good on the road is probably my biggest challenge.
Any ideas or insights to training or nutrition on the road would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Judson
Old 08-31-06, 01:10 PM
MatL

Bikes: none yet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
judson -- good to see you hitting the water already.

I've realized it's OK to throw in a lap of sidestroke or breast stroke if start to feel winded. As long as you keep moving even while 'catching your breath'.
Old 09-01-06, 11:53 AM
H2OChick
One day at a time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cjbruin has likely mastered that travel/workout thing. I'm sure he can give you his two cents...

As far as the swimming goes - if you have the $, hiring somebody to do a few private lessons would probably be a good idea. I bet you'd get a fabulous return on your investment. It's a tricky thing to learn as an adult, even harder if you're trying to teach yourself. Get the fundamentals down first. Lots of folks here like the Total Immersion program, too, but if you're truly a non-swimmer, a few lessons would be good.