Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My winter build completed: 1986 Vitus 979 Road Bike!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My winter build completed: 1986 Vitus 979 Road Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 07:57 AM
vinfix
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Nice build! Very pretty. I had one for a while, too, with a similar mix of Campy, with a SunTour Cyclone MKII RD for more range. Probably the prettiest bike I've ever owned.
Old 05-11-16, 12:32 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 65 Posts
Very nice job on the build! And tastefully done. Where did you source the orange cable housing?

I had a red anodized 979 back in the early '80s that I really loved but sold the frame about 5 or 6 years ago. I had built it up with a compete Sun Tour Cyclone group. Weighed in at around 18 or 19 lbs, IIRC
Old 05-11-16, 02:23 PM
Areion
Road Rider

Bikes: Refurbished 1986 Vitus 979, 1978 Holdsworth, 1976 Fuji, 2012 Breezer Lightning Pro MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, vinfix and motogeek!

Motogeek, I found the cable housing on Amazon. It has a poly liner in it, and seems to be of good quality. It was about $10 less than comparable housing by Shimano. That said though, I ran Shimano's slick PTFE brake cable in it, and it works well.
Old 05-11-16, 02:35 PM
Areion
Road Rider

Bikes: Refurbished 1986 Vitus 979, 1978 Holdsworth, 1976 Fuji, 2012 Breezer Lightning Pro MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took my restored Vitus out today for its inaugural ride, and I'm in love! Very responsive, smooth, and light. The Omni Racer ceramic bearing BB is noticeably better than anything else I have ever ridden on. Everything worked really well, brakes, pedals, gearing, etc. I do have to tighten the freewheel shifter a little--it kept changing gears on me when I stood on the pedals. This is also the first ergonomic handlebar I have ever used, and wow, what a difference.

I think this is the beginning of a beau-u-u-u-tiful friendship!
Old 05-11-16, 02:44 PM
lotekmod

Bikes: '73 Flandria 3 speed, '84 Lotus Legend Compe, '87 Merckx Corsa Extra, '94 Kona Kilauea

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent restoration, I really like the orange accents (my favorite color). I had a Vitus way back when, it an uncommon green color. Wish I still had it sometimes. I remember the frame flex even at my 135lb racing weight. I would get brake rub at the rear wheel when climbing out of the saddle, which was pretty much always since I insisted on using a 12-19 freewheel or something ridiculous like that. I wonder if I would enjoy the frame more now that I climb seated with as large a rear cog as the rear mech will allow.
Old 05-11-16, 03:47 PM
Vintage Raleigh

Bikes: 1974 Copper Raleigh International, 1975 Olive Green Raleigh Grand Prix, 1974 Raleigh Europa Custom

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Areion
Sure--to get the appropriate distance between the saddle and the handlebars, place your elbow so it just touches the nose of the saddle horn. With your fingers fully extended toward the bar, the centerline of the handlebar (perpendicular to the bike frame) should be about an inch beyond your middle finger. Some people go as far as 2", but that is too much for me. It's an old rule, which I think I originally found in Eugene Sloane's book, The New Complete Book of Bicycling. I have the 1970's edition, so it's not so new anymore.
Glad to hear your Vitus is performing well! I had the same trepidation when the International finally came together as I'd never ridden it - I'd stripped it down as soon as I got it and it was a year before it was back together.
Thanks for that info I've never used it before - now I'll measure up my bikes!
So that's regardless of saddle height / head stem drop?
Also - one bike has a longish Brooks vinyl and the other a shortish Sella Italia is there an average saddle length factor?
Thanks Areion

Last edited by Vintage Raleigh; 05-11-16 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-11-16, 04:31 PM
Areion
Road Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Raleigh
So that's regardless of saddle height / head stem drop?
Also - one bike has a longish Brooks vinyl and the other a shortish Sella Italia is there an average saddle length factor?
Actually, that's a good question. I don't have a huge difference between saddle height and stem height--only about an inch, so it's never been an issue. I haven't been able to find anything on the web after a quick search, but maybe there's another forum member who might have more info?

Same goes for the different saddle styles--I've been using the same saddle for many years, and my other bikes have saddles with a similar shape. I would say that ultimately, it's where your pelvic bones are best supported on the saddle, and adjust the position accordingly. Your knee should be plumb with the pedal spindle when the crank is at the 3:00 position, so that should be factored in, too.
Old 05-11-16, 04:37 PM
Areion
Road Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotekmod
Excellent restoration, I really like the orange accents (my favorite color). I had a Vitus way back when, it an uncommon green color. Wish I still had it sometimes. I remember the frame flex even at my 135lb racing weight. I would get brake rub at the rear wheel when climbing out of the saddle, which was pretty much always since I insisted on using a 12-19 freewheel or something ridiculous like that. I wonder if I would enjoy the frame more now that I climb seated with as large a rear cog as the rear mech will allow.
Thanks, lotekmod! On my test ride today, after I adjusted the shifter tightness, I was able to climb out of the saddle and keep the gear I had selected. I didn't notice any frame flex, but I have a 53-39 crankset, and a 12-28 freewheel. I'll be curious to see if that changes when I climb very steep hills, like the 15% grade up Smuggler's Notch, here in Stowe, VT.
Old 05-11-16, 04:37 PM
Jmpierce

Bikes: 82 Trek 710, 90 Trek 750, 86 Vitus, Nishiki Cervino, 1989 Bianchi CdI, 2 Nashbars, an Italian Steel MTB, Sears Spaceliner, and a 74 Schwinn Speedster. I also manage a fleet of Volcanic Patrol bikes, 83 of them.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 120 Posts

My Vitus. Almost all Shimano 600, mostly tricolor. I'm 270 lbs and don't ride it very often so I haven't noticed the flex yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (95.0 KB, 74 views)
Old 05-11-16, 05:02 PM
Vintage Raleigh

Bikes: 1974 Copper Raleigh International, 1975 Olive Green Raleigh Grand Prix, 1974 Raleigh Europa Custom

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Actually, that's a good question. I don't have a huge difference between saddle height and stem height--only about an inch, so it's never been an issue. I haven't been able to find anything on the web after a quick search, but maybe there's another forum member who might have more info?

Same goes for the different saddle styles--I've been using the same saddle for many years, and my other bikes have saddles with a similar shape. I would say that ultimately, it's where your pelvic bones are best supported on the saddle, and adjust the position accordingly. Your knee should be plumb with the pedal spindle when the crank is at the 3:00 position, so that should be factored in, too.
Thanks Areion, much appreciate you passing on your knowledge and bothering to do a google search too!
Old 05-11-16, 05:03 PM
Areion
Road Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice, Jmpierce! That's a big frame! I see you're using the old Campy aero-style bottles, too!
Old 05-11-16, 08:12 PM
Areion
Road Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clean looking bike, Chuck, very nice. Yours is the first Vitus I've seen with a head tube label.
Old 05-12-16, 05:58 PM
Vintage Raleigh

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Areion thanks again for that info I've repositioned the saddles on two bikes and they both feel more comfortable to ride now.
Old 05-12-16, 08:06 PM
Areion
Road Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing that, Vintage Raleigh! I'm happy to hear your bikes are more comfortable with the adjustments.