Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo rebuild

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 02-09-18, 04:10 PM
ScootermanBob

Bikes: 2017 Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently had my local bike shop do some changes on my '96 Hoo Koo E Koo. Two years ago I came back to biking with a Giant Cypress DX. I had to shelve my road bikes and the Gary Fisher because of a cervical spine injury. I can no longer ride in the leaned over position. I did take one of my road bikes on a 15 mile ride last Summer and confirmed that riding in that position is over for good. Both road bikes will be up for sale. I considered buying a FAT bike for bad weather riding but thought that maybe I could convert the mountain bike to fit. The idea worked! I had a handlebar riser and 5" handlebars installed. It now rides in a perfect (for me) upright riding position. I also went with a more streetable tire since my true off road days are also behind me. The bike came out much better than I thought it would. Its in very good condition for its age and now fits me perfectly. A bike saved! I'd like to add a kickstand to it to make it easier to live with.

Has anyone ever added a kickstand to a Gary Fisher mountain bike? If so, I'd like to know the brand and model so I can add one. I have an extra on my workbench from an old Fuji road bike. That one won't fit into the space between the downtube and the tire. I'd like to avoid one that attaches to the chainstay but will get one if that is all that will work.

Any ideas or thoughts are welcome.

Great site by the way...

Bob
Old 02-12-18, 10:53 AM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Congratulations on your decision to keep on cycling. A lot of people quit! As an ex Gary Fisher dealer, I can say that A basic Greenfield kickstand should work. Make sure that you get the (longer) 305 length. Your Fisher has a higher crank height than your road bike, so the Fuji road bike kickstand would be too short. I do not know anything about you/ your back condition, but in general as people age, they do not do regular back strengthening exercises and their back condition deteriorates with age (this really helps /keeps back doctors/ chiropractors in business.) So, if possible, I would suggest a back strengthening regiment. Consider holding off on the road bike sell off until you try back strengthening for a while ans see if you have any improvement.
Old 02-13-18, 12:54 PM
Sheik24

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you're getting back into it. Nice to see other HKEK shredders out there! Post a pic when you get a chance. Here's mine:

Old 02-13-18, 05:23 PM
ScootermanBob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian25
Congratulations on your decision to keep on cycling. A lot of people quit! As an ex Gary Fisher dealer, I can say that A basic Greenfield kickstand should work. Make sure that you get the (longer) 305 length. Your Fisher has a higher crank height than your road bike, so the Fuji road bike kickstand would be too short. I do not know anything about you/ your back condition, but in general as people age, they do not do regular back strengthening exercises and their back condition deteriorates with age (this really helps /keeps back doctors/ chiropractors in business.) So, if possible, I would suggest a back strengthening regiment. Consider holding off on the road bike sell off until you try back strengthening for a while ans see if you have any improvement.

Thanks for the tip. I know my dealer sells Greenfield's so I'll head over there to get one. I like to give my business to the local shops as much as possible. I bought that bike there from the present owner in 1995.

Regarding the back. My doctor can't believe how much muscle I've added in the past two years including my lats and traps. I also do stretching exercises that the physical therapist gave me when it happened. I "destroyed" a few disks in the cervical spine somehow. I have managed the pain 100% on my own so far. Giving up grains of all kinds have completely eliminated them for over a year! When I rode the road bike, the pain was coming back by the end. I can't even comfortably ride one of my scooters because of how the scoot makes my neck feel. Sitting upright is the way for me at this point. I am going to post a pic of what the Gary Fisher looks like now. I rode it in the driveway today (roads are snow covered) and it is as comfortable if not more so than the Giant! Two great machines. I could use the $ from the road bikes to put towards my never ending addiction to two wheeled contraptions.

Bob
Old 02-13-18, 05:30 PM
ScootermanBob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sheik24
Glad you're getting back into it. Nice to see other HKEK shredders out there! Post a pic when you get a chance. Here's mine:

Mine used to look almost exactly the same! Great bike. I used to take it on some pretty tough terrain back in the day and it still looks great. These bikes are tanks. Mine had the same bars only silver and my seat post is silver. I also had bar ends until the rehab. I even had gumwall tires on it until last week! Weird tip: I rubbed the frame with Armorall and it looks great. Should even help with keeping it clean in the future. The snow should be mostly melted by Sunday with temps around 40. I'm taking that bad boy out for ride.

Bob
Old 02-15-18, 04:39 PM
ScootermanBob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a chance to take the bike out today. Just puttered around some neighborhoods but I can tell that this change with the stem/handlebars and tires worked! Smooth and quiet with a nice riding position. Not straight up but with a slight lean- very comfortable. I think its the steel frame and the less aggressive tires that makes it ride so nice. I tried to post a pic of it last night but couldn't figure out how. I may try again later.

If anyone is thinking of making their mountain bike more comfortable (if you're getting to that point) do it!

Bob
Old 02-15-18, 06:28 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I have rear mounted Greenfield. It mounts on the back of the left chain stay. It's advantage is it never gets caught up with the crank if I walk the bike backwards. I have it mounted on a vintage Nishiki Ariel. It's a little more difficult to mount, but very practical. Might want to consider that option.
I don't know your financial situation, but the guys I know with back trouble ride dual suspension MTBs. You can find used 26ers at very good prices right now. That might give you a better ride than the Hoo Koo E Koo. I sold my steel 90's Hoo Koo E Koo a while back. Kinda wish I still had it.
Old 02-16-18, 07:25 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by ScootermanBob
I tried to post a pic of it last night but couldn't figure out how. I may try again later.

Bob

Postimage.org ? free image hosting / image upload
Old 06-10-19, 04:56 PM
Stuoverunder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all,

I can buy this exact green Fisher beat up a bit with no seat for 70 bucks should i do it?

THnakss
Old 06-11-19, 06:21 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Stuoverunder
Hello all,

I can buy this exact green Fisher beat up a bit with no seat for 70 bucks should i do it?

THnakss
if it fits and works after adding a seat, sounds like a fair deal
It's no grand barn find if that's what you are wondering...