Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Ibis DV9 :D

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 06-16-19, 01:15 PM
HyBr1D

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Ordered this last week... Can't wait for it to arrive!

Ordered with Competitive Cyclist
Frame in White/Teal, Medium
RockShox Pike RCT3 29 Charger DebonAir 130 Boost Fork
Chris King InSet Tapered Headset with Griplock
TruVativ Descendant 35mm Stem (40mm)
TruVativ Descendant 35mm CF Handlebar
Ergon GA2 Grips
SDG Components Tellis Dropper Seat 31.6x413mm/125mm
WTB Volt Comp Saddle
Sram Dub BSA BB
Complete Sram GX Eagle Drivetrain 175mm/32t
Crank Brothers Stamp 2 Pedals
Shimano XT SM-RT86 Rotor 180mm/160mm
Shimano SLX BL-M7000 Brakes
Stan's NoTube Arch MK3 29ers
Maxxis Minion DHF Wide Trail 3C/EXO/TR 29x2.5 Tires...
Likes For HyBr1D:
Old 06-27-19, 12:51 AM
emanuel_v19

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice, post a pic when you get it!
Old 06-27-19, 07:14 AM
HyBr1D

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It comes in today sometime in the afternoon/evening! I'm so pumped!
Old 06-27-19, 09:09 AM
emanuel_v19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice . Yea, I may be picking up a Trance this weekend. Never owned a FS bike so I'm excited just like you are!

Post a pic!
Old 06-27-19, 02:41 PM
HyBr1D

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wow, one post away from 10 and it won't let me post pics... Hopefully this will do lol.
Old 06-27-19, 02:42 PM
HyBr1D

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
She just came in and took her for a little drive (pavement real quick)... rides amazingly smooth... gear transition is a bit rough might need some oil. All-in all happy with my purchase...

Decent clearance (29x2.5)

With my dirty car lol..

Old 06-27-19, 03:00 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Looks good! I love 29'rs.
Old 06-27-19, 05:24 PM
HyBr1D

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The Maxle I forgot to close it, was in a rush putting things together.

again, was in a rush so I didn't tweak much. I will be adjusting the handlebars and probably lowering the stem some.
Old 06-27-19, 10:07 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by event horizon
Step 1: Learn how to use your Maxle.

https://www.servicearchive.sram.com/...axle_rev_a.pdf

Step 2. Consider rotating your handlebars.forward. Right now they sweep downward.
Damn, good eye sir
Old 06-27-19, 10:09 PM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by HyBr1D
The Maxle I forgot to close it, was in a rush putting things together.

again, was in a rush so I didn't tweak much. I will be adjusting the handlebars and probably lowering the stem some.
Hot bike, enjoy her
29r hardtails are still my favorites. Just haven't sprung for a fancy plastic one yet

Btw, what car is that
Old 06-27-19, 10:58 PM
emanuel_v19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the color! Enjoy! I can't wait for Sunday for my turn haha

Post pics when you're in the mountains!
Old 06-28-19, 06:27 AM
HyBr1D

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
Hot bike, enjoy her
29r hardtails are still my favorites. Just haven't sprung for a fancy plastic one yet

Btw, what car is that
Yeah, I figured I might as well start right with something I can grow with... it was ultimately between this one, SC Chameleon and a Canyon Exceed CF...

The car is a '12 Nissan Sentra SR (not stock, modified)

Originally Posted by emanuel_v19
Love the color! Enjoy! I can't wait for Sunday for my turn haha

Post pics when you're in the mountains!
I was torn between the colors but the orange just wasn't doing it for me. heh... What's coming in for you on Sunday?

No mountains here in Florida but when I do make it out on the trails I'll make sure to get some shots.
Likes For HyBr1D:
Old 06-28-19, 06:55 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by event horizon
Step 2. Consider rotating your handlebars.forward. Right now they sweep downward.
I prefer backswept bars on MTB but have seen many new bikes (and riders)with bars swept forward. Can you explain this.Looks uncomfortable.
Old 06-28-19, 07:49 PM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by trailangel
I prefer backswept bars on MTB but have seen many new bikes (and riders)with bars swept forward. Can you explain this.Looks uncomfortable.
for me with the sweep down, the brake levers end up in an awkward position even if adjusted. Though if works go for it. For a Pivot 429SL I run a larger bike due to the short reach and I have the bars a tad sweep down.
Old 06-29-19, 06:36 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Sweet bike!

I am a little surprised they chose the “WT” versions of the Minion tires to put on 26mm rims.
Old 06-29-19, 10:24 AM
HyBr1D

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Sweet bike!

I am a little surprised they chose the “WT” versions of the Minion tires to put on 26mm rims.

I chose 26mm to allow slower transition upon using the side knobs being that I am a novice at trails the bike already has soft and responsive steering, finding the line and maintaining it will be difficult for a nub like myself. So, having 29mm+ rims with increase the engaging rate of the 2.5" tire faster and may cause me to not react fast enough to the already fast and smooth steering on top of that the frame is very nimble and light so, it will change directions that much faster on a well-rounding tire to rim setup. 26mm will allow a more squishy feel and slower interaction with my user input maintaining control. If I need to change this on the fly I can add or remove tire pressure which can simulate more grip (or less, depending on feel) but there is no direct substitute to correct sized hardware.

In the future when experience is gained, I will run a wide rim (29/30mm) probably keep the front at 2.5, maybe even go up to a 2.6 (the frame won't clear anything wider) and the rear I might bring it down to 2.35 reducing the grip a bit at the tail for more whipping fun
Old 06-29-19, 12:09 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I chose 26mm to allow slower transition upon using the side knobs being that I am a novice at trails the bike already has soft and responsive steering, finding the line and maintaining it will be difficult for a nub like myself. So, having 29mm+ rims with increase the engaging rate of the 2.5" tire faster and may cause me to not react fast enough to the already fast and smooth steering on top of that the frame is very nimble and light so, it will change directions that much faster on a well-rounding tire to rim setup. 26mm will allow a more squishy feel and slower interaction with my user input maintaining control. If I need to change this on the fly I can add or remove tire pressure which can simulate more grip (or less, depending on feel) but there is no direct substitute to correct sized hardware.

In the future when experience is gained, I will run a wide rim (29/30mm) probably keep the front at 2.5, maybe even go up to a 2.6 (the frame won't clear anything wider) and the rear I might bring it down to 2.35 reducing the grip a bit at the tail for more whipping fun
Well first I should say that you are ultimately going to be fine with this setup, and what follows below is really just discussing the finer points....

I understand what you are thinking, here, and it makes sense in theory. Running some tires on overly wide rims can lead to abrupt and aggressive transition to the side knobs that can hook up when you don't want them to.... But I am not sure if you are aware of how that plays out with the specific tire and rim combo you have there.

The whole idea of the "WT" versions is that the tread profile is more rounded, so that 30+mm rims do NOT square-off the profile too much and cause the side knobs to dig in prematurely. In other words, they are designed to avoid what you are concerned about, but on 30mm+ rims.

A standard (non-WT) 2.5 DHF on a 26mm rim would not be overly squared off. It would actually be just about right for that tire.

It is also worth noting that tires like the DHF have a relatively wide and dead transition zone to begin with. As a result, it actually takes a concerted effort to get the side knobs to dig in. You have to actively lean the bike in turns to get them to hook up (but then they REALLY hook up). In other words, a tire like the DHF already addresses your concern pretty well, even on the proper sized rim (which for the WT version is 30mm+).

Running a WT version on a undersized 26mm rim makes the tread profile even rounder than intended, and thus it widens the dead transition zone. So now you need to lean the bike over even farther to get the side knobs to dig in. It is certainly doable, but this is not the most beginner friendly setup.

I guess my point is that I understand wanting to avoid having an abrupt and aggressive transition to the side knobs, but between the tire (which already has a wide transition in the tread pattern), and WT profile combined with a narrow rim, it is being taken to an extreme, and you may find that you have a hard time getting the side knobs to hook up when you want them to, such as in corners or getting traction on off-camber terrain.

I guess these are pretty fine points, though. You are going to learn to work with whatever tire and rim combo you ride just fine. It is hard to go wrong if you are on a mountain bike. And that is a sweet one for sure.
Old 06-29-19, 04:04 PM
HyBr1D

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ok, Fixed the Maxle (corrected), adjusted the handle bars upward (way more comfortable to shift and brake while standing and such. Also, lowered the stem 10mm. Will setup the sag next. Also, some goodies from MRP

Old 07-06-19, 07:39 PM
emanuel_v19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I figured I might as well start right with something I can grow with... it was ultimately between this one, SC Chameleon and a Canyon Exceed CF...

The car is a '12 Nissan Sentra SR (not stock, modified)

I was torn between the colors but the orange just wasn't doing it for me. heh... What's coming in for you on Sunday?

No mountains here in Florida but when I do make it out on the trails I'll make sure to get some shots.
My Giant Trance! Just got it and going for a ride tomorrow here in Fort Ord. I'm excited. How is your ride going so far?
Old 07-08-19, 08:16 AM
HyBr1D

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nice FS! I was tempted on going FS at the price point my HT was but I believed before I go FS to gain the foundation experience on a HT first before I go with the other option. heh... I haven't really had much time to explore the bike being that the hitched rack hasn't arrived yet (backorder) So, until then I'm stuck. Enjoy your new whip!!
Old 07-08-19, 09:25 AM
qclabrat

Nice FS! I was tempted on going FS at the price point my HT was but I believed before I go FS to gain the foundation experience on a HT first before I go with the other option. heh... I haven't really had much time to explore the bike being that the hitched rack hasn't arrived yet (backorder) So, until then I'm stuck. Enjoy your new whip!!
which rack are you getting? I have a tray style Yakima and it's okay but starting to pitch to one side
Will be looking for a Kuat or 1Up in the near future. Cracked a rib and broke it again the other day, doc wants me off the bike for 2 months so I won't be riding till September-ish. That gives me lots of time to clean my bikes....
Old 07-08-19, 09:46 AM
HyBr1D

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
which rack are you getting? I have a tray style Yakima and it's okay but starting to pitch to one side
Will be looking for a Kuat or 1Up in the near future. Cracked a rib and broke it again the other day, doc wants me off the bike for 2 months so I won't be riding till September-ish. That gives me lots of time to clean my bikes....
I ordered the Yakima Holdup Platform Bike Rack - 1-1/4 Hitch. Hold's 2, it's not exactly the 2019 model but good enough. Second spot is for the wife's future bike. That sucks on the cracked rib and not being able to ride for a while.. At least the bikes will be spotless until you get them running again.
Old 07-08-19, 08:00 PM
emanuel_v19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! That's a nice rack! I've always wanted those but that would mean I need to install a hitch, and then that gets pretty expensive for me.
Old 07-08-19, 09:55 PM
qclabrat

I ordered the Yakima Holdup Platform Bike Rack - 1-1/4 Hitch. Hold's 2, it's not exactly the 2019 model but good enough. Second spot is for the wife's future bike. That sucks on the cracked rib and not being able to ride for a while.. At least the bikes will be spotless until you get them running again.
I have the same each, after 7 years the rack is showing wear. Carrying heavy list assist bikes far has taken it's toll. It's still a great rack for the price.
Old 07-08-19, 09:58 PM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by emanuel_v19
Thanks! That's a nice rack! I've always wanted those but that would mean I need to install a hitch, and then that gets pretty expensive for me.
I installed the hitches myself and they were always in the $100 range. I'll never go back to anything else. The platform racks makes getting out so much quicker

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.