Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

What bike do I need?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

What bike do I need?

Old 07-11-19, 07:27 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 411 Times in 317 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
Seems like the best place to buy on the secondary market is either Pinkbike or FB.
I've never bought on FB, but lots of my friends have found good condition bike at fair prices. Here are a few large HTs I found on PB for your perusal

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2601627/

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2598485/

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2590696/

Try to find something in with thru axles (TA) front and rear. It's pretty much the standard now. There's lots of standards for rear spacing, but the better bikes now rarely have quick release (QR) and have moved to Boost 148 or superBoost 157. I personally like the 142 thru axle widths, but not many bikes are 142TA. Also don't dismiss a bike just because it has a Suntour fork, the XCT and XCM models aren't great but the higher end ones are better than the entry level Fox and RockShox out there.
Managed to take a peek at those bikes and, I gotta say, I’m impressed with those offerings. I’d be happier if RH could take a look at ‘em in person but those are some pretty thoughtful choices in a more appropriate size and within his budget.
Old 07-12-19, 08:52 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the suggestions as to what to be looking for. I won't likely buy right away unless I find such a great deal it can't be passed up. What these suggestions will do however is to let me look into those bikes a lot more, and even ride them or their equivalent locally. I may then later run up on a local deal where I can actually lay hands on the bike first, or I will have acquired enough knowledge to know how to better evaluate a bike better if I do decide to buy sight unseen.