Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tell me why I shouldn't be scared of dying on the road ...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tell me why I shouldn't be scared of dying on the road ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-19, 08:59 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
If you ride on the roads, and you're not fearful of being hit by a motor vehicle, then you're ignorant. Fact is that it's a fkn stupid thing to do, there's a huge risk of you getting hit, in fact it's only a matter of time.
Old 08-02-19, 09:02 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Try gravel.

Hardly any cars on gravel.

-Tim-
No cars but watch our for the bears! Just eating breakfast and watching the news and one of the main stories is a cyclist lying in a hospital bed with a mangled leg. He was riding on a gravel road when he was knocked over by a grizzly. Tried playing dead but the Grizzly kept chewing on him. So he did what any good boy scout would do. Pulled out his pocket knife, stabbed the grizzly, got back on his bike and rode 7km to a logging camp.

B.C. man recounts fighting grizzly off with pocketknife
Likes For gregf83:
Old 08-02-19, 09:04 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
If you ride on the roads, and you're not fearful of being hit by a motor vehicle, then you're ignorant. Fact is that it's a fkn stupid thing to do, there's a huge risk of you getting hit, in fact it's only a matter of time.
Guess your definition of 'huge' is different than mine.
Likes For gregf83:
Old 08-02-19, 09:07 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Some of these folks pedaling along without a care in the world, earbuds firmly planted... (*sigh*... I don't mean the earbuds are a "cause", just a common example of a distraction) don't seem to be worried about getting splattered, but are probably more likely to add to the statistics than someone who can channel their natural fear into alertness and good judgement.

Wednesday evening I was whooshing down a slight downhill and had a fairly sudden loss of pressure in my front tire. Handling gets a bit squirrely when that happens.

There was some fear, and the thought of what it's like when that happens on a long/steep/fast downhill. I'm still on the large side of the Clyde range, and can only imagine what sort of damage I could do if/when I come down in an unfriendly meeting with the asphalt. It was much easier to take a fall when I was younger and fitter.
Not letting that keep me off the bike, though. I will, however, keep a closer eye on tire maintenance. That won't prevent a random puncture on the road, but every little bit helps.

Last edited by velojym; 08-02-19 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 09:09 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Come hang in the old folks home for a bit and observe dying from Alzheimer's or Parkinson's on a daily basis. That'll cure ya.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 08-02-19, 09:16 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerjw
You ought to see my afternoon commute. 1/2 mile downhill to a stop light one of the busier intersections in the area. The best scenario is if it is red and I am 3 or 4 cars behind the lead car. Once it turns red, I can maintain speed with the traffic for a couple of other lights until the road widens and there is a bike lane. FWIW the bike lane is covered with road debris.

It is a little unnerving to be in the mix of traffic like that but unless I get some rammy driver behind me who just can't stand being behind a cyclist, all is well.

I would say that fear is as dangerous as complacency.
I recently posted about a similar scenario I occasionally (rarely) encounter where a rear view mirror is invaluable:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… IMO, besides routine monitoring rearwards with the mirror, a most important use is to make quick decisions when encountering an obstacle in front of you, such as a car door, pothole, car entering your path, etc. Can you immediately veer left?...

Personally, I use an eyeglass mounted Take-a-Look mirror that allows me to maintain a forward-looking head position with just a sideward glance to see the rear.

I really don’t want to turn my head for an over shoulder glance away from the line of travel when speeding downhill on a pothole-strewn road with heavy traffic to my left and parked cars to my right. Furthermore, wind noise can sometimes obscure the sound of a passing car.

I find mirrors so easy to use, and so helpful that I wear both right and left (link).
Old 08-02-19, 09:17 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Brocephus
You're obviously being sarcastic here, but you still kinda lost me. When we're cycling on the road, the on-coming traffic, that's at least a full lane away from us, isn't the threat that the traffic behind us is. The traffic we're riding with, that is of most risk to us, is coming up from behind us, and is moving very quickly and is basically unseen, and that's what I was referring to. (and even the relatively few riders that use those tiny helmet mirrors, generally aren't going to have enough warning time to veer off into the ditch, to avoid a vehicle that swerves into their rear wheel).
Sarcasm aside, my point is its an irrational fear. Getting into your car and being hurled down the road at 60+ mile per hour loaded with gallons of explosive fuel carries significantly more potential dangers and with a greater likelihood to result in an incident and yet most of us do so everyday without giving it a second thought.

If you're that afraid of cycling then give up your bike, stay home, lock all your doors and windows and crawl under your bed where its safe. There is potential danger in everything we do. That doesn't mean its dangerous.
Likes For KraneXL:
Old 08-02-19, 10:03 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
Some of these folks pedaling along without a care in the world, earbuds firmly planted... don't seem to be worried about getting splattered, but are probably more likely to add to the statistics than someone who can channel their natural fear into alertness and good judgement.
Woah there- pump the brakes...or feather them i guess since this is a cycling forum.
Wearing ear buds doesnt mean one isnt worried about getting splattered and it doesnt mean one is riding along without a care in the world. Riding creates wind noise, which is about 85 decibels at 15mph, so you cant hear anything under 85 decibels when riding at a decent but hardly fast pace. Ear buds reduce wind noise and so playing music at a smart volume allows you to both hear the music AND still hear outside noises. Furthermore, I use sight WAY more than sound as a means to stay safe while riding since, you know, that wind noise thing inhibits hearing to a degree. Looking up ahead, looking left and right, glancing behind- this makes me as aware with ear buds as i feel when i dont wear them. Since they reduce wind noise, i can have conversations while riding and music is playing. Magical, I know.

Maybe this will allow the thread to pivot and add another 6 pages.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-02-19, 10:21 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
The Fly, 1986 version with Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis.
Haha thanks that was a good one!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-02-19, 10:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

Maybe this will allow the thread to pivot and add another 6 pages.
Especially if someone brings up helmetless people wearing ear buds.

Old 08-02-19, 10:24 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
I’ve got one leg 2” shorter than the other from getting hit by a car on a bike.

So if you are looking for someone to say there is not real risk there, I’m not the one.

I know more people who have been seriously hurt road biking than I do from being in a car accidents, even though I know way more people who drive than road ride and even most road riders probably spend more time in the car.

I actually find mountain biking to be a lot less risky than road riding.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-02-19, 10:43 AM
SeanBikes
Cyclist

Bikes: 1987 Nishiki Altron 7000 (Road), 1983 Norco Monterey (Fixed-gear), 2005 Kona Blast (MTB), 2008 Lemond Poprad (CX)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
This GIF offers no evidence of cars ever being ON the gravel...
Likes For SeanBikes:
Old 08-02-19, 10:56 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by einstruzende
I was a pretty serious cyclist from 2003 through 2010, and ended up switching to running for years. Trying to go back to cycling, but I find I am now convinced I'm going to be hit by a car and killed.

I know, statistics probably say better chance of getting hit by lightning or something, but it's always there, and it is almost paralyzing my motivation.

Anyone go through this? I did have one cycling acquaintance die on the road back in 2009, I think that has something to do with it. He seemed invincible.
When I decided to cycle commute to work on busier higher speed roads than I was used too, I shared your fears. That was over 13 years and 40,000+ miles ago. What worked for me was training. I highly recommend Robert Hurst's "Art of Cycling" book, and the "Bicycling Street Smarts" training guides online. There are others. (like this board) Oh, and I got a mirror and learned how to use it. A couple years in I also took the LAB road course just for fun.

I was still scared at first, but as time went on I noticed that incidents were few and far between. Drivers were not swerving, skidding, or nearly clipping me. I saw first hand that riding in traffic was not as dangerous as most people (myself included) assume it to be... especially if I did it right.

It's important that one is using proper, proven techniques, instead of just going on their instincts, which may easily cause them to end up taking on more risk.

Don't leave your safety to the motorists, or to the statistics. Take full responsibility for it yourself, because you can do a better job of it.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 08-02-19, 12:29 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Well...I've been hit a few times, twice with injuries. I was a relative novice the first time, and a more experienced cyclist likely could have predicted and avoided the collision. The second time (exactly one month ago) was a genuine accident. Because I knew what to do, I dodged the worst case scenario and was able to get back on an upright bike after a few days and a road bike after about two weeks.

To be perfectly honest, I see more (and worse) injuries on road bikes that are not car-related at all. I've known (and witnessed) several riders with season-ending injuries resulting from dodgy pacelines...broken collarbones, broken wrists and elbows, and other things that require surgery. Bad pavement, poor descending techniques, and random gravel can also cause some serious injuries. Don't even get me started on my MTB friends...they wear giant bandages with pride.

I've just accepted that cycling on the road - whether solo or in a group, for transportation or sport - is an activity that comes with certain risks. To me, the risk is worth the reward: I can get the rush of epic speed on a tiny human-powered machine, see some awesome places I'd never go otherwise, and save a bunch of money on transportation and gym memberships. It's a calculated risk, but learning about how crashes happen and improving one's knowledge and skills increase your odds of survival.
Old 08-02-19, 12:41 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Sarcasm aside, my point is its an irrational fear. Getting into your car and being hurled down the road at 60+ mile per hour loaded with gallons of explosive fuel carries significantly more potential dangers and with a greater likelihood to result in an incident and yet most of us do so everyday without giving it a second thought.

If you're that afraid of cycling then give up your bike, stay home, lock all your doors and windows and crawl under your bed where its safe. There is potential danger in everything we do. That doesn't mean its dangerous.
First, you seem to have confused me with the OP. I didn't write the opening post, so I'm not "that afraid of cycling".
I was merely illustrating in a subsequent post the fact that there is a limit to what good our "being careful" can do, given that the real threats are dozens of 2000 lb pieces of metal flying inches away from us at 40-60 miles per hour, that are operated largely by clueless, oblivious people that probably shouldn't have a driver's license in the first place, and most significantly, that are coming at us from our our blind side !!!!!
We're usually doing 15-50 mph our own damn selves, and our only protection is a puny styrofoam helmet, and a 1/2 mm of spandex !! Plus, our feet are locked into the pedals of these mobile folding-lawn-chairs we love so much !!
I'd say this is the very definition of a "dangerous" activity. In fact, we all routinely acknowledge that fact by wearing a protective helmet and neon clothes, something that didn't come into widespread practice until recent years, and after widespread injuries. In fact, people that don't ride with helmets are routinely called everything from idiots to "organ donors". Hmm, why might that be ??
What percentage here personally know people that have been seriously hurt, or even killed on a bike? I personally know several, as do most cyclists I know.
Obviously, road cycling isn't on par with being on the varsity bomb squad in Baghdad, but like it or not, road cycling IS a dangerous activity, and the fact that other things are also dangerous doesn't alter this fact.

Last edited by Brocephus; 08-02-19 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-02-19, 12:54 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by SeanBikes
This GIF offers no evidence of cars ever being ON the gravel...
Prior to launch...
Old 08-02-19, 03:15 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
In the last couple of years I had some really weird single bike accidents that dumped me out in the middle of pretty busy roads and drivers always stopped and helped me up. In one case an expensive tire broke a cord and blew off the rim throwing me to the "slow" lane of the main street in Oakland, CA, not exactly the world's friendliest town. I had three cars stop and people helping me up instantly. In another case magically a green pine cone appeared under my wheel a quarter mile from the nearest pine tree. I assume that it had been kicked down the road by passing traffic and a car then clipped it so that it shot under my front wheel since it sure as hell wasn't anywhere in front of me. Again two cars stopped to make sure I was OK.

Though they appear to be passing rapidly and not caring whether you're dead or alive, cars are going places too and as long as you're minding your business they're minding theirs.

There were something like 700 bicycle fatalities last year. There were over 40,000 car fatalities. As a cyclist you can pick your roads and learn the safest way to ride. I have ridden on the most dangerous streets in the San Francisco bay area without ever feeling threatened more than I would if I were driving. And I'm a lot smaller target.

The problem isn't that as a new/returning cyclist you shouldn't feel endangered, it is that new drivers do not.
Old 08-02-19, 03:31 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I don't like being on a boat anymore having paddled canoes, been on sailboats on the Great Lakes and been off-shore fishing the Gulf Stream.
So I don't get on boats anymore. No big deal: Done.

If that's how you feel about riding on the open public roads: Don't.
Also no big deal.

You might want to try Zwift for fitness using a pedal-machine indoors, or not.
Also no big deal.

-Bandera
Old 08-02-19, 03:37 PM
Dingman 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
I don't like being on a boat anymore having paddled canoes, been on sailboats on the Great Lakes and been off-shore fishing the Gulf Stream.
So I don't get on boats anymore. No big deal: Done.

If that's how you feel about riding on the open public roads: Don't.
Also no big deal.

You might want to try Zwift for fitness using a pedal-machine indoors, or not.
Also no big deal.

-Bandera
I understand what you're saying - but rather than put my bike and gear in the car, and drive to the trail, and then get gear\bike out... vs... riding from the house, on the 5 miles of city to the trail. You see what I mean, from the house is sooo preferable.
And some trails have a few section of shared road - don't think we like that, we don't - but can't always be avoided.
I just want to ride a little way safely, that's all. We try as hard as we can to be safe and STILL (nearly) get killed.
Old 08-02-19, 03:37 PM
mrt2you

Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2010 specialized roubaix, 2014 specialized roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
No cars but watch our for the bears! Just eating breakfast and watching the news and one of the main stories is a cyclist lying in a hospital bed with a mangled leg. He was riding on a gravel road when he was knocked over by a grizzly. Tried playing dead but the Grizzly kept chewing on him. So he did what any good boy scout would do. Pulled out his pocket knife, stabbed the grizzly, got back on his bike and rode 7km to a logging camp.

B.C. man recounts fighting grizzly off with pocketknife
watch out for deer also.
not on the road or gravel but on paved bike trails on the outer edges of the city where it goes thru swampy area. i have had a deer jump out in front on me on 3 occasions. the first time it happened i was riding at 25+mph a deer jumped out in front of me. i think i missed him by 2". needless to say i ride with caution in that area now.
Old 08-02-19, 03:46 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Time for the note I carry in my wallet every bike ride:

Emergency Responders

If I should die as a result of this bicycle accident, however traumatic it may have been, I want you to know that I died doing what I love and that I died at peace. I have lived a good life. I would like to have lived longer, but I also knew for years that with the miles I ride every year, the odds were that my life would end on a ride. Those rides have been my love and spiritual focus for many years. This happened to be the ride I did not come home from. It is not a tragedy.

Please copy this and pass it on to all involved.

Thank you,

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-02-19, 04:02 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
The safest time to ride is when there is an NFL game on television. However, the period before the game starts is dangerous because everyone is rushing to get beer, chips dip, and more beer, and the period after the game when everyone is drunk.
Chuckled at this one. Around here it's U of M home games up the street from us. All the same reasons compounded by lots of out of towners.. lost. I always wait for kick-off and make sure I'm back by the end of the game.. unless they are losing badly then you might want to move up the return time.
Old 08-02-19, 04:04 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Dingman
We try as hard as we can to be safe and STILL (nearly) get killed.
Assessing risk and mitigating it by choosing the time of day/night to ride, the route selected and on and on and on to get out on the bike because you enjoy riding it is SOP around here.
As far as I can tell not being killed will end sometime, might as well be present and get what you can enjoy out of the moments until your number comes up.
For me, those moments will be boat-free.

As always, suit yourself.

-Bandera
Old 08-02-19, 04:21 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I have been hit by a car once and it hurt, but just your basic cuts and bruises.

I don't fear cars unless they are driven by clowns or zombies. Clowns and zombies are scary.
Old 08-02-19, 04:56 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
We are all going to die sometime.

I just hope I can complete those epic bucket list rides before I leave this world.

I pray before every ride for safe travels.

Seems to calm the anxiety and fears of disasters.

My focus is then turned to riding with safety being the arbiter of how I ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.