Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Group / Paceline Question

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Group / Paceline Question

Old 08-23-19, 12:32 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
That at would be fantastic If people would hold to that. For example, on a ride last week I had pulled for a couple minutes at 26.5-27mph, when I drift over and started soft pedaling the persons that was now the leader kicked the pace up to 29mph before I was back in the line. So the soft pedal tuned into a hard sprint just to grab a back wheel. Not fun, considering I was already recovering from a long hard pull. I guess it’s just human natural to blow it out when you get on the front.
You pulled for too long and you jumped too late or timed getting back onto the back wheel wrong. Its okay it takes a while to get used to. When you move over and soft pedal you still need to maintain a close speed differential with the line depending on how many riders there are and anticipate when the end of the line is coming up. You should be matching their speed by the time they pass and just sliding over
Old 08-23-19, 12:33 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
You pulled for too long and you jumped too late or timed getting back onto the back wheel wrong. Its okay it takes a while to get used to. When you move over and soft pedal you still need to maintain a close speed differential with the line depending on how many riders there are and anticipate when the end of the line is coming up. You should be matching their speed by the time they pass and just sliding over
But also people shouldn't surge when they get on the front. It can be two things.
Old 08-23-19, 01:52 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
That at would be fantastic If people would hold to that. For example, on a ride last week I had pulled for a couple minutes at 26.5-27mph, when I drift over and started soft pedaling the persons that was now the leader kicked the pace up to 29mph before I was back in the line. So the soft pedal tuned into a hard sprint just to grab a back wheel. Not fun, considering I was already recovering from a long hard pull. I guess it’s just human natural to blow it out when you get on the front.
I don’t take long pulls for that reason. I don’t want to be so fatigued that getting back on might be an issue. Honestly, I don’t generally enjoy riding in groups where they feel the need to ride like it is a race. I bought a power meter and started using TrainingPeaks software. I noticed that many of the the groups rides were very uneven. The Efficiency Factor number was very high, while the average speed wasn’t much higher than my solo rides. I would always feel so toasted riding with those guys.
Old 08-24-19, 08:30 PM
Zuzus pedals

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Ah! That route starts in Owego! I'm in Ithaca and ride down to get on 96B/96 between here and Owego about 2-3 times a year, usually between Willseyville and Catatonk. Also have a low-hanging fruit (only 21.0 mph average) KOM on an out-and-back segment from Candor to Spencer and back to Candor. That area is definitely as flat as it gets around these parts - that and 17c between Waverly and Tioga Center. The bit from Candor to Spencer is a tiny bit more rolling than Strava shows it to be, but it's significantly flatter than the Ithaca area. That 17c stretch is where the state TT is. I've never done that, but drove down to ride on the course once to see if it was as easy as they say, and it's pretty flat too!
Old 08-26-19, 03:44 AM
billyymc

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Well this all turned out to be academic! Of the four of us planning to ride, two begged off a day before the ride.

So it was me and my buddy who did Ironman Lake Placid (last weekend in July). Well turns out he hasn't done a lot of riding since then, and 30 or so miles into this planned 200 mile ride he was falling off the pace quite a bit. He decided at mile 38 that he didn't have it in him to do 200 yesterday. I had already decided I wasn't going to ride the ride solo again, so we shut it down and finished a nice 60 mile morning ride and got home in time for a late breakfast.
Old 08-26-19, 02:43 PM
phillman5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
He wants to swap leader every 5 to 7 minutes or so - which seems like a lot to me.
Not really. A local pro rider (invited to the Olympics try outs in '88 or maybe '92) and Team TT was his speciality, said the line should almost be continuously changing so you pull for maybe 10 seconds.
Old 08-26-19, 03:08 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by phillman5
Not really. A local pro rider (invited to the Olympics try outs in '88 or maybe '92) and Team TT was his speciality, said the line should almost be continuously changing so you pull for maybe 10 seconds.
So what you're saying is that, yes, it is long.

Team TT is different than weekend recreational group rides. For most people in this category, posting the fastest time is not their goal. Doing 10 seconds pulls would take the enjoyment out for me. I normally ride with three or four guys, so about 2-3 minutes up front is just about perfect.
Old 08-26-19, 05:13 PM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
So what you're saying is that, yes, it is long.

Team TT is different than weekend recreational group rides. For most people in this category, posting the fastest time is not their goal. Doing 10 seconds pulls would take the enjoyment out for me. I normally ride with three or four guys, so about 2-3 minutes up front is just about perfect.
We're supposed to do 45 seconds but traffic is a big factor on our rides.
Old 08-26-19, 06:13 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by phillman5
It is not the same pace. A 4 man team tt will cover 100 kilometers in under 2 hours. Their pace won’t be nearly that fast, which means you can spend more time at the front.
Old 08-26-19, 07:24 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
The "most correct" way to pull off is into the wind, but in practice, riding on the right side of the road makes pulling off to the left (and passing on the right, yes) the most practical way to roll a paceline. I've never been in a paceline where people pulled off to the right except in a race, and even then people tend to rotate to the left just out of habit.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
We pull off to the left, slap right hip as a signal. That cannot be mistaken for pointing out a pothole or such.
I used to see guys do this when I was living and riding in the South, but the more conventional, internationally recognized "pull through" signal is to flick the right elbow.
Old 08-26-19, 07:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
The "most correct" way to pull off is into the wind, but in practice, riding on the right side of the road makes pulling off to the left (and passing on the right, yes) the most practical way to roll a paceline. I've never been in a paceline where people pulled off to the right except in a race, and even then people tend to rotate to the left just out of habit.

I used to see guys do this when I was living and riding in the South, but the more conventional, internationally recognized "pull through" signal is to flick the right elbow.
Same. But when you get a big continuous rotation with experienced racers, people don't even flick. They just slot over.