Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Show yer fruit.

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Show yer fruit.

Old 09-15-19, 04:53 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
I have seldom seen many produce stands while on tour that others seem to never be far from. People often write about relying on them. I guess it just depends on where you tour and on what kind of roads.

While it might have been tough to buy one day quantities I prefer, some fresh produce would have often been enough of a treat to make me willing to carry more. Alas I recall only two times on the entire Trans America where we bought some fresh produce by the roadside other than in a store, once in a stand and once off of a truck. On other tours I remember similarly sparse pickings wrt produce stands. On the ST for example the only thing I remember was at either end there were some places selling mostly large boxes of citrus. These were common at either end, but the vast majority of the trip was brown sagebrush with not much in the way of towns let alone produce.

Perhaps there were more stands on some of my trips and I just don't remember some of them now, but they certainly weren't a daily occurrence on any of my tours. Many times it would have been a real treat to have some fresh fruits or vegetables.

I do remember that before I moved to Tallahassee I rode past two or three on just about any day ride where I headed out into the country from my suburban home (Maryland).
Old 09-15-19, 11:58 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
This is great. Thank you!

-Tim-
You are quite welcome friend. Enjoy. Grapes are amazing that can do so much yet are so small.
Old 09-15-19, 07:02 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts

Your basic Red Seedless Table Grapes, and a kick-butt bicycle bell, from an antique store I visited this morning. This bell is LOUD. 😁
Old 09-15-19, 07:23 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I have seldom seen many produce stands while on tour that others seem to never be far from.
I agree, but on this occasion we hit the jackpot when cherries were just being picked as we toured through northwestern Michigan, lower pen. They were yummy.

Old 09-16-19, 07:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
S. Jersey has decent number of produce stands. It is, after all, the "Garden State."

This place is on one of my long weekend getaway routes:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.4631...7i13312!8i6656

It also has a bakery. Got the most delicious pistachio muffin fresh from the oven this spring. One fall I duct taped a pie to my front rack platform to take home. There is no produce source near the place where I camp so I usually stop there and pick up a zucchini, shallots and/or tomatoes that become part of dinner.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-16-19 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-16-19, 03:27 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It also has a bakery.
Now that is something I do have fond memories of at stops when on tour, bakeries! There weren't enough of them to suit me, but there were a few good ones. I remember a Mennonite bakery in Rawlins WY that was amazing. When I drove through there a few years later I was heart broken to find an empty lot where the bakery used to stand. I almost cried. The sticky buns were to die for. Other items were amazing too.

It is funny how often when we talk about somewhere on the Trans America, or the Sierra Cascades, or where ever it comes down to "that was where that had those great tacos or ribs, or gumbo, or whatever". Or "that is where we bought a bottle of wine and cooked whatever". Wasn't that the town that had that great bakery. The references wind up being what or where we ate more often than not.

Last edited by staehpj1; 09-16-19 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-16-19, 08:38 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

I didn't make it to the place with grapes today, so settled for a big ole can of Mandarin oranges. Poor me, but they were actually pretty good. 😁
Old 09-20-19, 09:13 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 53 Posts
I guess my favourites were the pineapple stands as I toured around Ishigaki! Nothing like a freshly harvested and sliced pineapple to set you up for the next leg of your tour (usually to the next pineapple stand)
Old 09-20-19, 09:59 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

I love fresh pineapples, but they just have too much of that acidy thing going on, for my tummy. 🥺 It's a lot like tomato sauce, I love it, but it doesn't love me. 😋

I got more grapes this morning, the green ones WITH seeds this time, and they're delicious. 👍 Grapes are perfect for touring in or near the desert. You just keep the bag open, inside your handlebar bag, and munch a few if you even start to feel thirsty. 😎 It doesn't replace water or other drinks, but you need far less drink breaks, so "might" make better mileage. 🤔
Old 09-20-19, 11:18 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 228 Posts
touring here in hainan, and southern china, we gots plenty of fruitses! and it seems there's always something being harvested.

we gots pineapples and coconuts and mangos and papayas and durians and jackfruitses and custard apples and bananers and lychee fruitses.......

there's always roadside stands outside any village, along with the farmer's markets in the center of town.

they even got rest stops set up for travelers. some dude will sell coconuts by the roadside, and rent hammocks by the hour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Picture 104.jpg (429.8 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by saddlesores; 09-21-19 at 04:27 AM.
Old 09-21-19, 03:57 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
The fruit look delicious but remember presentation is everything.
Originally Posted by stardognine
My grandfather used to eat the core, too. ���� I've tried a few, can take them or leave them.
Better to leave them. There's enough fiber in the fruit. Unless you're a horse?
Old 10-07-19, 06:39 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

These particular grapes, called green seedless table grapes, are really crisp when you bite them. Not crunchy, lol, but they do make a sound like that. 😁 Some are huge, like a half-dollar, and they're de-licious. 👍

I haven't tried one yet, but I also got nectarines, which should be yummy too. 🙂
Old 10-07-19, 06:41 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by KraneXL
The fruit look delicious but remember presentation is everything.

Better to leave them. There's enough fiber in the fruit. Unless you're a horse?
I guess we're all entitled to our own opinions.
Old 10-09-19, 05:39 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Somewhere on the tour of the French Riviera.

Old 11-11-19, 03:44 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Lest there be any doubters, California strawberries are the best!!! 😍 I admit, these 3 are the biggest in this particular crate, but they're all good fer eatin'. 😁