Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Seller BEWARE...

Old 09-25-19, 12:41 PM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Not sure what I would have done.

Maybe let him off the hook if he forked over the full asking price. And told him never to contact me ever again about anything.

Well, he still wanted to buy the bike at the full price but when I did not sell it to him, he did get just a little bit snotty because he had driven to my home from Toronto (about 32 miles) to pull this stunt, and he insinuated that if I was not going to sell him the bike maybe I owed him for his time and gas because I was reneging on the sale. That did not fly.
Seriously, he had more nerve than a tooth-ache.

Bink
Likes For Binky:
Old 09-25-19, 12:53 PM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts
Not sure what I would have done.

Maybe let him off the hook if he forked over the full asking price. And told him never to contact me ever again about anything.
This rat's a**hole stands out because he has been the only joker in the deck.
So I should add that over the years I have met just this ONE total jack-off -- and also countless wonderful young people.
I have passed over to them lots of bikes that I hope will still be ridden and enjoyed long after I am dead. Like my kids, they are my legacy.
I am quite elderly now, well past my "Best By" date, and I can easily imagine that many of the better bikes I have rebuilt will outlast me by many years, especially here in Canada where the biking season gets interrupted by winter every year.

Bink
Old 09-25-19, 01:12 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Maybe let him off the hook if he forked over the full asking price.
I don't think I'd accept 100%.

Perhaps tell him that the new price has gone up 10 - fold, and that you're calling the police about fraud and damages, unless he pays the new price.

Originally Posted by Binky
he insinuated that if I was not going to sell him the bike maybe I owed him for his time and gas because I was reneging on the sale.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-25-19, 08:07 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I would have beat that azz.
Old 09-25-19, 08:46 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Seriously? Boy, am I naive... Though if someone came off a test ride and showed me that, I'd know something was fishy.
Two girls actually yes girls nice looking mid 20's nice were a couple of the slammers they just bent a link but FU'd it up and messed up the DR. Actually ended up changing the dr and chain but sold the bike later the same day for above asking brice,
Old 09-25-19, 09:17 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Two girls actually yes girls nice looking mid 20's nice were a couple of the slammers they just bent a link but FU'd it up and messed up the DR. Actually ended up changing the dr and chain but sold the bike later the same day for above asking brice,
How do you sell a bike for above your asking price?
Old 09-25-19, 09:48 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Probably above the originally asked price from earlier in the day.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 09-26-19, 09:40 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
On a bike with 8 speed or higher and messing with the chain basically totals the chain in my view. I have ridden a bike with a 9 speed chain where I had to repair it with a chain breaker, but I replaced it when I got home.
Old 09-26-19, 11:30 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
On a bike with 8 speed or higher and messing with the chain basically totals the chain in my view. I have ridden a bike with a 9 speed chain where I had to repair it with a chain breaker, but I replaced it when I got home.
I've pushed pins in and out with 9 speed. But, wouldn't do it with 11 speed. And, I'd be careful with selling stuff that I didn't believe in.

So, unless it was an older 5/6 speed bike, the scammer should owe the seller the value for replacement pins, quick links, or a replacement chain. Plus, any additional damages.

Letting him go may have been letting him off too easily.

Hopefully a photo was taken of the person and of the vehicle to post scam warnings on Craigslist.
Old 09-26-19, 12:24 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 145 Posts
Ridiculous, that guy should be wearing your big ring right now. What a shyster.
Old 09-27-19, 10:48 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
This happened to me once. I had a buyer setup and told the 2nd buyer that I already had an appointment right after I got off work (I really did). He offered more to come an get it right away so I took a lunch break and sold it to him.

I have also tried offering $10 more than ask to buy a bike that a seller was holding for someone. She didn't accept and the other buyer bought it. I would of offered more to sweeten the pot if that bike was my size.
Old 09-28-19, 08:05 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 188 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
This happened to me once. I had a buyer setup and told the 2nd buyer that I already had an appointment right after I got off work (I really did). He offered more to come an get it right away so I took a lunch break and sold it to him.

I have also tried offering $10 more than ask to buy a bike that a seller was holding for someone. She didn't accept and the other buyer bought it. I would of offered more to sweeten the pot if that bike was my size.
Let me get this right.

You're selling bikes from under people if they offer more than the original buyer, even if that bike is already reserved for that buyer.

When buying, you offer more to encourage sellers to sell others out on bikes already spoken for.

I wouldn't be happy in either situation. If I give my word to sell a bike at a certain price, that's what I do.

If I were expecting someone to hold a bike for me and the seller sold out to someone else, wouldn't be happy there either.
Old 09-28-19, 08:24 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,801 Posts
Yeah, I have people ask me to do that all the time and have the nerve to get angry with me when I say, "um, no". If I give my word, that's that.
Old 09-28-19, 09:18 AM
katsup

Originally Posted by bargainguy
Let me get this right.

You're selling bikes from under people if they offer more than the original buyer, even if that bike is already reserved for that buyer.

When buying, you offer more to encourage sellers to sell others out on bikes already spoken for.

I wouldn't be happy in either situation. If I give my word to sell a bike at a certain price, that's what I do.

If I were expecting someone to hold a bike for me and the seller sold out to someone else, wouldn't be happy there either.
Definitely, I have had agreed upon phone prices, some with appointments, disappear on me way too many times. As long as there are a few hours until the appointment, so the 1st buyer hasn't left, I will sell it to the first person to see it. I went out of the way for this guy as he offered a good amount more than ask. I never agree to save it for the 1st buyer.

Over the last 2 weeks, I have had a buyer and seller ghost me. The buyer had made an appointment, confirm a few hours earlier, so I give my address, then go silent and not answer the phone and never show up. The seller I travelled 4 hours for (week long road trip with my fiancée) and disappear on me. We had an agreed upon price and appointment with this lady and she had a week in advance to prepare things. Luckily I had a backup bike in the same area (same make/model/year, just more expensive) that I was able to get.
Old 09-28-19, 11:32 AM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by bargainguy
Let me get this right.

+1 I thought it sounded problematic.
Old 09-28-19, 12:10 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
"Ah, perhaps you need a U-lock. Here, test it out on the side of your head while I swing it."

Old 09-29-19, 05:06 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

Had that happen to me once. I had an appointment set up to buy a bike and had arranged a car ride to get it and had confirmed that we'd be there at the agreed upon time. I told the seller i was coming from out of town. When I got there the seller had sold the bicycle to someone else. I was NOT happy not was the fellow who drove me the 60 miles to get the bike. A 120 miles round trip for nothing.

Cheers
Old 09-29-19, 05:17 PM
katsup

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Had that happen to me once. I had an appointment set up to buy a bike and had arranged a car ride to get it and had confirmed that we'd be there at the agreed upon time. I told the seller i was coming from out of town. When I got there the seller had sold the bicycle to someone else. I was NOT happy not was the fellow who drove me the 60 miles to get the bike. A 120 miles round trip for nothing.

Cheers
I understand first come first serve as a seller as 2/3's of the buyers flake or cancel, but I'd never do that if someone is already driving. In my case, there was a 5 hour gap till the appointment and I sent him a text right away saying it sold.

I've been left out cold as a buyer as well, it sucks the worse when they just don't respond and you are left at the meeting spot waiting.
Old 09-30-19, 09:03 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I've sold more than a few bikes above my asking price. Most recently, the couple so appreciated my advice, patience fitting the husband, and the work that I'd put in restoring even to the smallest details, that they handed me money ~6.5% above my asking price. This was for a fine Fuji America.
Old 09-30-19, 01:19 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
I had a buyer setup and told the 2nd buyer that I already had an appointment right after I got off work (I really did). He offered more to come an get it right away so I took a lunch break and sold it to him.
This is a tough call, as your first buyer could always bail. But I think the right thing to do is to stand by your own word with the first guy. After all, it was the same day.
Old 10-02-19, 08:51 AM
Last ride 76 

Originally Posted by wrk101
I did this once where a guy from 100 miles away offered $75 more for a bike I already agreed to sell someone else. As luck would have it, I had a second one, so I "took" his line jump offer by giving him an identical bike that I had not listed yet. So he thought his offer got him put to the front of the line, ahead of others. So be it.

Funniest part is this was for a 1970s Schwinn Varsity!

I do not take higher offers to line jump. On the other hand, I don't hold bikes either, unless you are in your car on the way. C/L is the land of no shows. So "Will you hold it for me?" gets the same answer, "Call me when you are headed here, and I will hold it until you arrive." And of course, if their 30 minute drive becomes 3 days, no I am just holding it for a reasonable drive to my location.

I also do not believe in dibs. If you respond first, but you require multiple additional pictures, details on every component, want to trade a bike, etc., you go to the bottom of the pile. The first person that looks like an easy transition gets moved up to "dibs" status.
I'm asking, trying to get a sense of how folks operate... If I make an appt to see a bike this evening after work, you're saying it may or may not be there, if someone comes earlier? and do you say so during the call? You make it clear it's first come, first served? As long as it's up front, that seems fair, but if we make a deal over the phone, I expect that deal to be upheld...
Old 10-02-19, 01:42 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
As for the OPs situation, I would have cussed the guy right off my property and told him never to come back.

Personally, related to some of the other stories being passed around, I've attempted to sell a bicycle and meet the buyer halfway, only to have them say they weren't interested when I was already 75 miles from home. The guy even called back said he'd mail me a check for $20 for gas because he felt bad about it, so I gave him my information and never got a check. That was a bad idea in hindsight, methinks, revealing my abode... But nothing came of that. That was the crappiest deal I ever had.

When I sell on Craigslist I always offer to meet at a local Starbucks, where I can arrive early to assemble the bike and then meet up safely away from home and any suspicious conduct.

Oh, once, when I was young, I was offered $250 for a bike I desperately needed to sell. The guy called back and said he could do $125 + the same amount in marijuana. I was young, so I said okay... Got to our rendezvous and ended up with just a trash bag full of trash weed. That was the second crappiest deal I ever made, especially since it went up in smoke.

-Gregory
Old 10-02-19, 01:53 PM
katsup

I'm asking, trying to get a sense of how folks operate... If I make an appt to see a bike this evening after work, you're saying it may or may not be there, if someone comes earlier? and do you say so during the call? You make it clear it's first come, first served? As long as it's up front, that seems fair, but if we make a deal over the phone, I expect that deal to be upheld...
It really depends on the seller. Sellers just want to sell the bike, most will not sell it if the appointment time is near and they know you are driving. If you only have an agreed price and meeting time, I don't consider that a "deal" as I have been left out cold way to many times after people do this. If they ask me to hold it for them, I judge that on a case by case basis, but usually only give them a day or 2.

However a few will not tell you they sold the bike until you knock on their door or not answer the phone when you are waiting on the meeting spot. Unfortunately, the later has happened to me multiple times, both as a seller and buyer.
Old 10-02-19, 06:12 PM
combover

Bikes: Way to many to list

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Binky
Seller BEWARE:
If you are selling a bike in Toronto please read this. A little while ago a guy replied to an ad I had for a decent Italian road bike I had for sale. He took it around the block for a test ride and brought it back with the chain jumping erratically off the rear sprockets and the rear derailleur banging. He insisted that he still wanted to buy the bike.... but at a drastically reduced price. I was suspicious because I had ridden the bike before he arrived and it was OK then.

I checked the chain and found that two or three of the pins had been pushed partially through the chain with a chain tool, enough to foul on the next bigger sprocket in the cassette. He told me I was pretty smart to catch that and that he can usually knock about 1/3 of the asked price off a bike with that trick !!. I also got the impression that he buys a lot of used bikes to resell in Toronto but I do not know the name of his shop or business (and even if I did I would not post it here because it would be his word against mine).

Binky
I would have to refrain from punching him in an attempt to rip me off !! what a punkass !
Old 10-02-19, 07:39 PM
UKFan4Sure
Useless Member

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 113 Posts
No one gets out of my visual sight on my bikes. My truck is parked up front, just in case. Everyone arrives in a car to look at mine anyhow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.