Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Good trailer hitch mount bike rack?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 02-26-06, 07:44 PM
Tag1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for something that will hold 2 or 3 bikes, and mount onto the trailer hitch. Suggestions? Anyone have one they are pleased with?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-06, 07:54 PM
Hank Rearden
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tag1
Looking for something that will hold 2 or 3 bikes, and mount onto the trailer hitch. Suggestions? Anyone have one they are pleased with?
Sportworks, now owned by Thule.

Old 02-26-06, 07:58 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hank Rearden
+ 1. I've got the Sportworks Mod Series. Incredibly convenient to put bike on and off. Go to mountainbikereview.com to read tons of positive reviews.
Old 02-26-06, 08:47 PM
Tag1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hank Rearden
Thanks, I'll definitely check it out.

Last edited by Tag1; 04-01-06 at 01:33 AM.
Old 02-26-06, 08:53 PM
cryptid01
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sportworks T2 here.

Nice rack.
Old 02-27-06, 08:35 AM
wvxc
Montani Semper Liberi

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fabbed my own to suit me. A band saw, a MIG welder, a little tubing and some UHMW for the cradles was all it took. Cost me about 27 junior bacon cheeseburgers, and 2.5 hours labor (free since it was me). The cradles were the hardest part. UHMW is rigid, but not hard enough to scratch paint.
Old 02-27-06, 10:20 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wvxc
Fabbed my own to suit me. A band saw, a MIG welder, a little tubing and some UHMW for the cradles was all it took. Cost me about 27 junior bacon cheeseburgers, and 2.5 hours labor (free since it was me). The cradles were the hardest part. UHMW is rigid, but not hard enough to scratch paint.
Ahhh . . . another fabricator. Good to see
Old 02-27-06, 10:22 AM
cryptid01
one less horse

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cost me about 27 junior bacon cheeseburgers, and 2.5 hours labor (free since it was me).
The presumption, I imagine, is that you already have a mig welder and a bandsaw in your garage...
Old 02-28-06, 07:38 AM
wvxc
Montani Semper Liberi

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
Ahhh . . . another fabricator. Good to see
Have you built one? If so what kind of cradles did you use. I am assuming that Thule won't sell T3 cradles to us lowly hacks. Hell I'd even use the Yakima cradles if I could get my hands on them. I used 1 inch bar stock for my outriggers (same as Thule) hoping to score some T3 Cradles later, it should just be a bolt on then.

MIG welders and band saws are relatively inexpensive, and more than pay for themselves quickly. Not to mention MIG welders are user friendly and easy to master. Come to think about it I made my reciever hitch, all my tongues, and when you throw in this rack I'd say the welder has paid for itself with these projects alone.
Old 02-28-06, 10:49 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Have you built one? If so what kind of cradles did you use. I am assuming that Thule won't sell T3 cradles to us lowly hacks. Hell I'd even use the Yakima cradles if I could get my hands on them. I used 1 inch bar stock for my outriggers (same as Thule) hoping to score some T3 Cradles later, it should just be a bolt on then.
Actually, I haven't built a rack. I cheated and bought a Thule from REI Outlet on a closeout. I DID build the receiver hitch it went into though. I LOVE scrap yards! I got all the square tubing, plate, etc. that I needed for .15/lb. (I've also made a complete back blade for my tractor and rebuilt a snow plow to fit my truck.) I think your idea of the UHMW for crades is good. The stuff is tough yet still cutable and/or machineable. The other thing you could use is synthetic 2x or 4x stock (like Trex decking) from the local lumber yard. I made blocks for my pipe clamp jaws so that I could fashion a repair stand. The stuff is easy to work, tough and non-marring.

If you want cradles like the T-3s but better, check out the Stealth cradles. They're a very versatile rubber cradle with a simple velcro strap (instead of Thule's breakable rubber one). You should be able to order the cradles from a local Stealth dealer as replacement parts.

MIG welders and band saws are relatively inexpensive, and more than pay for themselves quickly. Not to mention MIG welders are user friendly and easy to master. Come to think about it I made my reciever hitch, all my tongues, and when you throw in this rack I'd say the welder has paid for itself with these projects alone.
Ahh, I wish I had a MIG. Shoulda bought that Lincoln back when Costco was still selling them. All I have is my trusty ac buzz-box and an oxy-acet outfit. You using flux-coated wire or do you have a gas bottle?

Last edited by dminor; 02-28-06 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-28-06, 12:12 PM
jz19

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check swagman.net
If you plan on eventually using the rack on a car you might want to consider the XP series as the craddles can be rotated to allow more clearance to the ground. Otherwise, the standard racks would work fine for you.
Old 03-30-06, 09:54 AM
MatL

Bikes: none yet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking that it would be nice to rack bikes and STILL fit a 2 inch receiver hitch to tow stuff. (family pop-up camper or fishing boat.)

Anyone try a carry + tow version of the fold down carriers? Comments?
Old 03-30-06, 08:22 PM
wyosam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you've got many bikes, i'd be leary of using a "pass through" that lets you still pull a trailer. better solution is to add a reciver to the back of the trailer, and put the rack there. also dont have to worry abouting smashing bikes when turning sharp.
Old 03-30-06, 08:30 PM
Hank Rearden
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MatL
I was thinking that it would be nice to rack bikes and STILL fit a 2 inch receiver hitch to tow stuff. (family pop-up camper or fishing boat.)

Anyone try a carry + tow version of the fold down carriers? Comments?
I looked into it and found this type:

https://www.sportomotoring.com/Result...04676513339079

The problem for me is that my boat/trailer is 5500 lbs dry and unloaded so for now I just chuck the bikes in the boat or put them on the roof.
Old 03-30-06, 09:09 PM
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager

Bikes: Road, mountain and folding

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am quite pleased with my Yakima HookUp: https://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=103. It comes in a 1.25" receiver mount, with a max capacity of two bikes, or a 2" receiver mount, with a stock capacity of two bikes and can be expanded to four bikes.