Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Rear View Mirrors???

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Rear View Mirrors???

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 03:47 PM
Litespeed
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since I am deaf in one ear, and can't tell what direction noise is coming from, I always use a mirror that is attached to the visor on my helmet. I wouldn't be without it. I even find I miss it when I am walking my dog and think I hear something behind me. When my husband first started cycling again he refused to wear a mirror. I finally convinced him to try it for a while and now he wouldn't ride without it either.
Old 07-06-08, 09:54 AM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I really like my cycleaware reflex mirror, but it has broken after only a month and a half of use. It has never been bumped, dropped, or mistreated, and I've used it on a total of 12 16 mile rides. I've never once removed it from the helmet, and I don't flip it up. The plastic broke near the top of the stem (see photo). Although it's usable like this, it doesn't stay in position, and has to be readjusted frequently.

MirrorBreakSmaller.jpg

The company seems to have good customer support, and I expect they will send me a replacement, which I will beef up by gluing supporting material to it.
Old 01-02-09, 10:43 AM
TONY M

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have a look at www.bike-eye.com the "bike eye" mirrors is really neat & unobstrusive, the fitting position reduces the risk of it being knocked or wrecked and is almost vibration free, not for the rider with loads of luggage on the back of the bike but works brilliantly well on the general commuting or training rides etc. It' shown on the right side on their web site but fits bothe sides no problem, it can be shipped assembled for left or right use, just tick the right boxes if you buy one.
Old 01-04-09, 11:11 PM
masiman

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Please disclose your affiliation with the company Tony M.
Old 01-05-09, 01:10 PM
waldowales
Old Fogy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really like the idea of the helmet or eye glass mounted mirror, I have a Take-a-Look. I have tried several times to use it, but failed. I just can't see anything useful with it, I see the sky, my ear, my eyeball, but not the road behind me.

I finally gave up and use bar end mirrors. I hate the way they are damage prone, but I like the way I can keep an eye on what's behind me.

I have a mirror on top of the bars on an old Schwinn 3-speed. Looks tacky but works fine.
Old 06-28-09, 06:05 AM
bikeideas

Bikes: Trek Elite 9.8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwbnyc
I've finally gotten the hang of the helmet/visor/glasses type after quite a few failed attempts with mirrors of different sorts.

My favorite at the moment is the Bell Metro visor mirror which doesn't seem to be all that popular. Works for me anyway.

The Take A Look is probably the best. It's certainly larger than most. I like being able to fold the mirror up out of the way and the smaller overall size of the Bell personally.

The best thing about mirrors of this type is that you can keep an eye out for cars substantially further back that may be closing at speeds considerably in excess of the speed limit, IOW the sort of drivers you might want to look out for.

They don't replace looking over your shoulder. They just give you another option.

The quality of viewing is down to how well your eyes work.

I can't really focus on anything too clearly. But, I can see well enough to have an idea of what is coming up from behind.

It is worth acclimating to them IMO.

I'm not comfortable with any mirror I have to look down at to use. That rules out any of the mirrors that attach to the bike in one way or another for me.
Thanks for the good advice on mirrors. I look over my shoulder when riding but like many cyclists, I also like a hint of what's to come. I decided to go with a eyeglass-mounted mirror.

Seems like Take-A-Look is the standard. They look good but seem big (for me) to have in your face and hover around $15.

I decided to try a different approach and it works quite well.

The mirror is small so I use it in a glancing manor, usually when I'm on a standing/coasting rest. Its compact enough that I almost forget its there. Anyway, wanted to post it for feedback or in case someone wanted to pattern it.

Thanks