Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

65-85+ Thread

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

65-85+ Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-13, 10:42 AM
Sandy Barringer

Bikes: 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
That's what my wife keeps telling me. She rants on about reading that 30-60 minutes of exercise 3 times a week is sufficient. Maybe for her.
Reply: That 30 to 60 minutes of exercise 3 times a week can't be right! There is no way. I tried that and it does absolutely nothing for me except waste my time. I didn't have any muscle build, calorie burns that were worth noting, nor any real challenging (to the cardiovascular system) aerobic workouts. This is like the food pyramid the government put out: it is worthless and will probably in the long run make you less healthy, not more healthy. I mean, geez, it takes me 15 miles cycling to even begin to get warmed up and have the power and speed kick in. Personally, I think the minimum should be 60 minutes per day, 6 days a week. Hey, is anyone listening to anything the government tells you any more? Do what you know works for you.
Old 09-16-13, 12:20 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
She says this stuff comes from Dr. Oz, Dr. Weil, Livestrong.com, and several other "health and wellness" websites.
I just let her say her piece. Then I go out for my 30+ mile or 3+ hour rides.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-16-13, 01:37 PM
Joe1946

Bikes: Surly Pugsley,Mongoose Hybrid, Nashbar road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Welcome back, Joe1946. BTW, this was your 300th post!

I have not yet tried a 29er - still stuck on my 26er mtn bike!
Thanks, btw my first 29er was my Surly Pugsley that came with 26x4.00 tires and I had the custom 29er offset wheels made a few weeks later along with a 26x3.00 setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
26x3-2.jpg (51.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 09-16-13, 02:02 PM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that 30-60 X 3 is just an introductory offer
Old 09-16-13, 02:52 PM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by lenA
that 30-60 X 3 is just an introductory offer

I guess I used up my coupons for the intro offer so I now have to ride longer and harder.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-20-13, 08:45 AM
RonH
Life is good

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I moved to a wee house with no stairs .
A wee house? I hope its big enough so you can keep the bikes inside.

Old 09-20-13, 09:26 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I hope its big enough so you can keep the bikes inside
Some .. do occasional work at LBS, have some of them in their Basement..

helps that my last buys were small wheel.. Bike Friday, and Brompton M3L folders..

they go in the entry/mud room.

basement, is just a few inches short of my standing Upright..

The old drop bar bikes can go down there, there.. assume, early,
the hunkered over posture to ride them ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 09-20-13 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-24-13, 11:22 AM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ron, I haven't been on the forum in some time and I see that you have relocated. How do you like the new location?
Old 09-24-13, 05:34 PM
RonH
Life is good

Hi Jim. Good to hear from you.

We've been renting in *****assa since Nov 15, 2012. Today we closed on the house we had built so we'll be moving next week. The mailing address is Lecanto.

I've been riding on the Suncoast Trail and Withlacoochee Trail approx 3 days a week since last fall and loving it. Did a few rides with Sue and friends. We missed you at the BIG ride last February that Sue organized. Several BF regulars joined us.

Will you be at the Rails to Trails ride on Oct 6?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0164.jpg (100.9 KB, 47 views)

Old 09-27-13, 01:03 PM
kjc9640
Slo Spoke Jim

Bikes: 1982 Raleigh road bike & love it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ron, I goofed up and signed up for the CF ride here in Orlando the same day as The Rails to Trails ride. This will be the first one that I have mussed in a long time. Let me know the next time you all do an organized ride and I will try to make the trip. I love riding in that area.
Old 09-28-13, 03:13 PM
Velo Fellow

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For maintaining minimal heart health, your wife's numbers may be adequate to lift you up above "sedentary". But, cycling always demands ever more.... or at least our vanity does. Last month I hiked the Upper Yosemite Falls trail on a hot day. It can be a quad and cardiovascular butt kicker especially for us grayheads. I doubt your wife's numbers would have gotten me to the top. But, to stay out of the hospital cardio ward a 60x3, diet, and some luck should work. Trouble is, hanging with fit 50Plussers requires more.... and cycling is never about "minimums"-- it's about Maximums whether that's 8mph on a huge trike on much faster on a full race machine.
Old 10-05-13, 07:47 PM
bowzette

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Been riding 20 years-two 10 year periods with 8 years off between. Started riding fixed gear six months ago and did 107 miles today at the Piney Woods Purgatory in Lufkin, Tx. Amazed the "kids"-40 year olds-that the old man could do the ride on fg :-) Got to get the small victories where I can!
Old 10-07-13, 08:06 AM
Sandy Barringer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Fellow
For maintaining minimal heart health, your wife's numbers may be adequate to lift you up above "sedentary". But, cycling always demands ever more.... or at least our vanity does. Last month I hiked the Upper Yosemite Falls trail on a hot day. It can be a quad and cardiovascular butt kicker especially for us grayheads. I doubt your wife's numbers would have gotten me to the top. But, to stay out of the hospital cardio ward a 60x3, diet, and some luck should work. Trouble is, hanging with fit 50Plussers requires more.... and cycling is never about "minimums"-- it's about Maximums whether that's 8mph on a huge trike on much faster on a full race machine.
Reply:
Yup, cycling always demands more, and I got more yesterday. I rode the Blue Water Ramble for the first time. That was only a 41.1 mile ride, but I was astonished by my results. It was raining the whole time and that should affect you, but it didn't. I had rain gear. The temperature was perfect. I've been doing core work and upper body strength training and the results showed yesterday. I had given up on being a rider who could crank 15 miles per hour mile after mile, but with the training, I was cranking 13, 14, and 15 miles per hour for the last 20 miles. Even on mild hills, I never dropped below 12 mph. To me, that was an astonishing and unexpected development!
Old 10-15-13, 12:39 PM
RCPlains

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandy Barringer
Reply:
Yup, cycling always demands more, and I got more yesterday. I rode the Blue Water Ramble for the first time. That was only a 41.1 mile ride, but I was astonished by my results. It was raining the whole time and that should affect you, but it didn't. I had rain gear. The temperature was perfect. I've been doing core work and upper body strength training and the results showed yesterday. I had given up on being a rider who could crank 15 miles per hour mile after mile, but with the training, I was cranking 13, 14, and 15 miles per hour for the last 20 miles. Even on mild hills, I never dropped below 12 mph. To me, that was an astonishing and unexpected development!
Very impressive Sandy! Keep up the good work!...i've also given up on the 15+ mph average...i only go half the distance you went on most of my rides...last ride, 14.0 mph average for 20.3 miles on my Trek FX 7.4...i'm semi-happy with that...

PS - Ya gotta wonder about all those 60 - 80 year olds on here that claim to be averaging 18 to 21 mph on long rides...what kind of "illegal to the NFL" supplements are they on?...and how accurate are those bicycle computers that they're using? (mine is "spot on" with my car's odometer...)

Last edited by RCPlains; 10-21-13 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-21-13, 08:02 AM
Rocky1405
Hey, I AM peddling!

Bikes: Dahon Espresso 26" and Raleigh Passage 4.0

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm pretty content cranking along at 12 mph - us regular riders musn't let the "High Speed" bikers make us feel inferior. Riding is riding - the main thing is that we are out there on a bike enjoying our good health. IMHO - I'm just sayin'. 8-)
Old 10-21-13, 01:34 PM
John C. Ratliff

Bikes: Rans Stratus, Trek 1420, Rivendell Rambouillet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 3x30 minutes per week is a pure minimum; but I've been finding that my knee doesn't like extremely long rides. And today I am recovering from a cold, and decided it was time to take a day off. Between the knee and my cold, it will be later this week before I get going again.

John
Old 10-21-13, 03:12 PM
Sandy Barringer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RCPlains
Very impressive Sandy! Keep up the good work!...i've also given up on the 15+ mph average...i only go half the distance you went on most of my rides...last ride, 14.0 mph average for 20.3 miles on my Trek FX 7.4...i'm semi-happy with that...

PS - Ya gotta wonder about all those 60 - 80 year olds on here that claim to be averaging 18 to 21 mph on long rides...what kind of "illegal to the NFL" supplements are they on?...and how accurate are those bicycle computers that they're using? (mine is "spot on" with my car's odometer...)
Reply,
RCPlains, I have wondered about those 60-80 year olds who claim to average 18 to 21 mph on long rides. I've always wanted to ask them "what they're on" as I wonder if the human-powered engine really operates at the level. But, I doubt they would tell me their secret to speed and endurance.
I take real good care of myself, but I don't forsee ever achieving that level of riding even after discovering that core work and upper body strength training gave me some great speed and distance results. I'm still just a clunk-along rider who just wants to enjoy the ride, the scenery, the sunshine (or whatever nature shares that day). But, I would like to finally achieve a mile century. Just because. I can do the metric century almost any time (but not fast).
Old 10-26-13, 07:10 AM
RonH
Life is good

I went to the new bike shop in town yesterday and was invited on a group ride by the p/t mechanic. He'll be 70 next month.
I told him I'd try to make it but after I got home I asked myself again -- not the first time -- why so many retired folks feel the need to get up early to do a ride? Retired folks usually aren't on a schedule. Plus I would have to get up before 6AM and be at the trailhead around 7:15. So I decided to pass on the group ride. I slept in until 7:50 and I'll be leaving shortly for my own group or no group ride.

Old 10-27-13, 06:55 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
I wish I could sleep that late once in a while. My internal clock always wakes me before 6AM and I usually like doing early activity. So after running with a group of friends at 8AM, the big question is what to do with the rest of the day when the best part is over by 9:30? At least bike rides last a lot longer so I can spend most of the morning at it.
Old 10-27-13, 07:05 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
I went to the new bike shop in town yesterday and was invited on a group ride by the p/t mechanic. He'll be 70 next month.
I told him I'd try to make it but after I got home I asked myself again -- not the first time -- why so many retired folks feel the need to get up early to do a ride? Retired folks usually aren't on a schedule. Plus I would have to get up before 6AM and be at the trailhead around 7:15. So I decided to pass on the group ride. I slept in until 7:50 and I'll be leaving shortly for my own group or no group ride.
Early riser here. The best time of the day is in the early morning.
Old 10-28-13, 05:48 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Age 80, ride normally 6 days a week and get in 100+ miles a week year round.
Old 10-29-13, 07:29 AM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My loss of grip strength gets annoying at times.
Old 10-29-13, 09:57 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Early riser here. The best time of the day is in the early morning.
Ditto. Takes me minimum of 1.5 hours to get out of the house: breakfast, feed horses, clean stalls, feed/walk dog, ride bicycle. I'll get up a 0530 after I retire so I can ride at 0730 latest.

What I don't understand are clubs that start weekend rides at 0930 or 1000. Anything over 40 miles takes the better part of the day. Even after retirement life's too short to burn a whole day riding a bicycle.
Old 10-30-13, 01:55 PM
JohnBerry
LerpwllWelsh

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe 2003. Bike Friday World Tourer. Trek 1.2Alpha

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't posted as often as I should, I have troubles getting messages to post. After I log in, write the message, and hit "Post", I get an error message saying "You do not have permission to perform this action. Please refresh the page and login before trying again." Does anyone know why this happens? But I really enjoy reading everybody's posts about their rides and quirky lives. I'm with rdtompki on starting rides early so that there's some day left afterward! Thank goodness I have no horses to clean and feed!
Been having a rough time recently. Collapsed in France while trying to walk the Camino de Santiago in July. Went to Plan B, which was to ride my bike from the Spanish Border to the Normandy Beaches and all around Brittany. Managed that, over the dead bodies of the French doctors. 1200 miles in 25 days, all under canvas.
When I got back home went to the Docs to follow up on the collapse, and ended up in the hands of an Oncologist-Hematologist, and am presently waiting for the results of a bone marrow biopsy. The blood tests I've seen look like multiple myeloma, which is why my kidneys are packing it in.
Last weekend did a 70-mile ride on Saturday to raise funds for breast cancer sufferers, then on Sunday a 10-mile foot race to raise funds for drilling water wells in Africa. Woke up on Monday feverish and passing blood. Not much better on Tuesday, which was my 72nd b'day.
As they say, it's hell growing old, but the alternatives are worse. Grrrrr!

For my birthday I took delivery of my new Bike Friday, which I hope will make biking overseas a lot easier. I'm still working on configuring it to my taste.

JohnB
_____
Bianchi Volpe (Tourer)
Trek 1.2alpha (roadie)
Bike Friday New World Tourist
Old 10-30-13, 03:13 PM
RonH
Life is good

I like to ride in the sunshine, summer or winter, so thats why I don't want to do early rides. I guess I'm weird.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.