Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Confused, looking for tricycle suggestions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-11, 08:41 PM
Series of Tubes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum--wasn't sure where would be the best place to post my question.

I don't know a ton about cycling, but would really like to get into it this summer to get fitter, save money, and hopefully have fun in the process! Unfortunately I have balance issues and don't feel comfortable with a standard bicycle, so I am really looking for an adult tricycle, I think I would feel a lot safer with that instead.

I have been reading as much as I can about how to pick a type of bicycle to meet your needs, but I am confused how much of that applies to tricyles. Maybe because adult tricycles are less popular, but there seems to be less of a selection? Maybe I am just looking in the wrong places.

There is a bike store near where I live but I asked if they sold adult tricycles and just got laughed at, so I'm not keen on going back.

Maybe someone on here can suggest some reliable brands/models to look at that would meet my needs? Money is an issue, so if I ignorantly ended up with some shoddy lemon brand or something that I can't use for what I wanted, it will definitely hurt the household budget. I want to take my time to pick something reliable that will be good for what I need.

I mainly want to use it for commuting to/from work and running errands around town (groceries, post office, etc.) Storage bins/baskets a big plus for that, most models seem to have these. It would be ridden in an area with lots of hills, mainly on paved roads but sometimes rougher surfaces like gravel. I prefer to stay away from recumbents, they just look a little too bizarre for me.

Any help or advice would be great! I'm just feeling overwhelmed with all the info and have nobody to ask in person.
Old 04-26-11, 09:02 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Yes, there are fewer trikes than bikes on the market. Sun makes 'adult trikes' and 'recumbent trikes'. https://www.sunbicycles.com/products.php?cl1=ADULT+TRIKE. Any bike shop can order Sun products - not sure how many shops have models on hand.

Worksman is another maker of trikes. https://www.worksmancycles.com/

You're right, recumbent bikes and trikes and the people who ride them are bizarre.
Old 04-26-11, 09:05 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Here is a brand that's worth a look:

https://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_s...html/pav3.html

Made in New York, I believe. The company has a good reputation and has been around forever.
Old 04-26-11, 09:19 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Depends on how fast you want to go. As mentioned, Sun makes both upright and recumbent trikes. I'd personally recommend a recumbent, since they are more comfortable, and stable than an upright. My wife also has severe balance issues, and rides a Sun EZ3 SX. We've taken it on hops around town, as well as loaded touring.

as well as charity rides

Her trike is what is called a Delta Trike.

Then, there's a Tadpole, from companies like Greenspeed, or Whizwheels, or Sun, or any number of other companies.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 04-27-11, 05:25 AM
Esteban32696

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lots of good info at this site. Maybe so much it is confusing. You mentioned hills in your area, & that will make a few trikes not desirable to you. Sometimes, here in Fl., you can get very good deals on used ones. May try that in your area. Take a good test run before buying any you find, new or used.

https://www.industrialbicycles.com/
Old 04-27-11, 05:43 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The UK has a much more active adult tricycle scene. These are lightweight, upright touring trikes made to a high spec, usually by small custom workshops, NOT the heavy industrial models or retirement home run-abouts found in the USA.
Longstaff have a good reputation and do a reasonably prices stock trike that works on rougher ground.
Their touring trike is more expensive.
Bob jackson make similar light-touring/racing trikes.
There are some conversions either 2 front wheels or 2 rear wheels.
You can find them on the Tricycle Association links page
Old 04-27-11, 06:57 AM
pinsonp2 

Bikes: 2008 Trek 2.1 WSD, 2010 Specialized Amira Elite, 2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Esteban32696
Lots of good info at this site. Maybe so much it is confusing. You mentioned hills in your area, & that will make a few trikes not desirable to you. Sometimes, here in Fl., you can get very good deals on used ones. May try that in your area. Take a good test run before buying any you find, new or used.

https://www.industrialbicycles.com/
These folks are local to us. They sell bikes as well as trikes (Jack's Bicycle and Fitness in Dearborn, MI). They are great at customer service and I would reccommend them highly. (They replaced my Trek Madone 5.2 WSD without even contacting Trek when a crack/serious paint flaw appeared after 85 miles!) My husband bought a recumbent trike from them, Cat Trike Villager, that he loves. You really ought to give the recumbents a try as they are ligher and faster than the full up right trikes....also a bit more expensive.

Good luck in your search,
P2