Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Not happy with my Fuji

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Not happy with my Fuji

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-12, 02:50 PM
rjkfsm

Bikes: 2013 Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not happy with my Fuji

I bought a Fuji Sunfire six months ago and the bike has not been the most reliable. This combined with Fuji's "warranty" has got me annoyed. I like the engineering on it, very much so. I can take the bike on mountain bike trails as well as ride at a decent clip down the street and everything in between. Being a long distance touring rider in a previous life (long story), I appreciate the low rolling resistance and strong frame.

The annoyances started the very first week. The LBS I bought it from didn't pre-stretch the cables and for the next month, I was constantly making adjustments just to be able to ride. There were a couple of occasions where I had to stop riding to make adjustments. After a month, everything settled in and for the next four months, everything was peachy with a little tweaking here and there.

Then I broke a spoke. I was on a ride and I was 15 miles from home. I didn't have a choice. I removed the spoke, disconnected the back brakes and rode home with a wobbly wheel. I replaced the spoke and trued the wheel. Less than 20 miles later, I broke another. A week later, I broke yet another. These spokes were warranty spokes. Fuji's warranty covered the part, but not the labor. So, I could get the $0.99 spoke for free, but would have had to pay for the replacement and truing ($25 each time) if I didn't know how to do it myself. So, instead of going back and validating the definition of insanity, I bought a set of spokes and re-laced my back wheel.

Then, my front tire simply exploded while I was riding. Yes, I wiped out. Tires are not covered under Fuji's warranty, so I bought two new ones and put them on. The front wheel also had to be trued afterward.

Then, one of the pedals seized up unexpectedly with my foot attached to it. The metal cage that surrounds the post actually broke. I went into a convenience store, bought some WD-40, sprayed some down into the bearings and stomped on it until it broke free. The LBS told me that they were going to contact Fuji about my bike. I never heard another thing, so I contacted Fuji. Yes, I can afford $10 pedals and I have since replaced them myself, but it was the principle of the matter. This is what they sent back:
Hi,

We do not handle warranty claims direct with consumers, so please contact the dealer that sold you the Fuji product for warranty service. If the dealer you purchased the bike from is not available to you, you can visit any other local bicycle shop for assistance as we are open to working with any bike shop willing to help you through the claim. Just make sure you have a copy of your original receipt or invoice that proves you are the original owner of the Fuji product purchased from an authorized Fuji dealer if you are not going to have the shop that sold you the bike assist you with your claim.

For as to whether or not your pedals are covered under warranty we really can't speak to that without first hearing from a shop.

Thanks for contacting us,

Advanced Sports International
Well, to be honest, I would like to hear from a shop too. So, now my bottom bracket bearing is clicking. I brought my bike to a different LBS (not Fuji) and I was told that I needed a new bearing. Well, I don't have the tools for this repair and I have a funny feeling that the bearing is not going to be covered either. However, even if it is covered, I will get a bearing and have to pay to get it replaced.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Russ
Old 09-09-12, 04:11 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That sucks
Old 09-09-12, 05:50 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
All-in-all, I don`t think Fuji is the problem. More likely your bike shops suck. The tyre exploding is very unusual. If it`s a manufacturering fault, the bike shop will replace it via the tyre company dealer if it`s under a year.
Old 09-09-12, 06:47 PM
skibender

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 2.0, 2011 Gary Fischer Cobia 29", 1980's Ross 10 speed, 2014 Fuji Gran Fondo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's weird cuz I broke 3 spokes on my Fuji Absolute - my LBS replaced the rim to a beefier rim and no charge to me. The only thing I had to pay for is a new chain @ 1800 miles.