Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bike Pressure Gauge

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bike Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-12, 10:59 AM
paintplongo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Pressure Gauge

Does anyone have a recommendation for a handheld tire pressure gauge? I'd be looking for something small and portable for touring, but don't want cheap and crappy. Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-17-12, 11:14 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Not what you say you're looking for, but I no longer have a separate gauge. Instead I use a Road Morph G:
https://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/RoadMorphG

Great pump, inline gauge, very convenient.
Old 10-17-12, 11:22 AM
paintplongo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Leyzne pump which I love and it's extremely lightweight. I'm looking for a stand alone tire pressure gauge so I can check where the tires are at since I don't trust me sense of feel to gauge pressure.
Old 10-17-12, 11:39 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
I have an old plastic one similar to this

https://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Cyclin...sure-gauge.jsp

mine is very light, is probably similar in build quality to this and still works after having it I dunno, 15 yrs or more of being wrapped up in a cloth along with my other tools I have with me. That said, since getting a small pump with built in gauge, I tend not to take it with me anymore (and I have a floor pump with an easy toread gauge that I use at home)

you should be able to find a gauge like the one I put up, for somewhere around 15 bucks that will last a long time and doesnt weigh as much as a metal one.
Old 10-17-12, 01:14 PM
wbuttry

Bikes: diamondback outlook turned commuter/ bike packer And a tour easy recumbent for on road touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here is what i use i have had it for about a year i got it from walmart it was like 1.97 not bad to seconds is what it takes to use it plus small and easy to carry it is a slime product so it isnt a piece of junk....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF0127.jpg (96.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 10-17-12, 02:02 PM
Western Flyer 

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone gravel bike Dahon MU folder w/2x8 speed internal drive train

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have used a Zefal Twin Graph gauge for years on tour. Simple, lightweight, no batteries and seems to be very accurate. Last one I bought was on Amazon.

https://www.zefal.com/en/other-access...win-graph.html

Last edited by Western Flyer; 10-17-12 at 02:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-17-12, 02:03 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
^^^^ I use the same one:

Old 10-17-12, 06:54 PM
surfjimc
Used to be fast

Bikes: 85 Specialized Expedition, 07 Motobecane Immortal Spirit built up with Dura ace and Mavic Ksyriums, '85 Bianchi Track Bike, '90 Fisher Procaliber, '96 Landshark TwinDirt Shark Tandem, '88 Curtlo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leyzne makes an in-line gauge for their pumps that use a hose. Very convenient and right there all the time.

Last edited by surfjimc; 10-18-12 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-17-12, 10:10 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Not what you say you're looking for, but I no longer have a separate gauge. Instead I use a Road Morph G:
https://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/RoadMorphG

Great pump, inline gauge, very convenient.
should mention how happy I am iwth this pump, well made, pumps to 90-100 fairly quickly and you dont have to be a body builder to do it, built in gauge pretty accurate (gotta use reading glasses tho if over 40....)

of course, only if you need a new pump. I did a few years ago, hence not using the small gauge much.
Old 10-18-12, 05:53 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I have the digital SKS airchecker and it's really nice. Long battery life, works well with presta and shraeder, has a mechanism for letting out air, and gives very precise readings. Of course, I mostly got it to dial in low pressures for cylocross, and such accuracy isn't really so critical for touring in most cases.

Or use a Road Morph G. The gauge is reasonably accurate at typical touring pressures, and they're amazingly nice pumps aside from that.
Old 10-18-12, 06:25 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
i used to carry a gauge on tour, but now rely on a few pumps every other morning and the gauge on a topeak roadmorph.

may not be the most accurate, but within a bar.

Even without a gauge, a good strategy is a few pumps of air every other morning.
Old 10-18-12, 10:03 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I used to use an AccuGage made for Presta. Worked well.
https://www.ghmeiser.com/bicycle.htm

I have also used a Topeak Smarthead digital that was both Presta and Shrader. It leaked a lot of my air taking a reading in Presta mode, but it works very well taking a reading with a Shrader adapter threaded onto my tube. In other words, I use it in Shrader mode. This model gauge is no longer on the Topeak website, they now sell a different digital gauge that I have not used.

I usually use the gauge on my Silca floor pump for my bikes. But on the bike I have on my trainer, the pump that I use on that does not have a good gauge so I use the Topeak gauge.
Old 10-18-12, 11:28 AM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schwalbe tubes sometimes come with a guage. They seem pretty good.

z
Old 10-18-12, 01:14 PM
bud16415

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I would much rather have a built in gage / pump combo. There is not enough volume IMO in the tire to waste air getting the gage on and off. I give it the squeeze test and can tell if it’s low. But the recommendation to air each day or every other day is a good one. I have a cheap Bell pump that works really well up to about 80 PSI. Perfect for the touring bike. I like it because it’s small and light but still has a short 8 inch hose so I can pump against the ground. I always use it with an adapter and reverse the adapter and store it on the wheels as caps. The holder mounts to the rear rack and has storage for a patch kit and a spare adapter.The pop of air when I remove it is the air stored in the hose.
Old 10-18-12, 03:22 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by azesty
Schwalbe tubes sometimes come with a guage. They seem pretty good.

z
Can you elaborate on this?

I too use the Zefal gauge.

The important thing is to make sure that the nozzle will fit the type of valve you use.

And bek is right to a point. If you use a gauge and the finger-press test in unison over time, you should be able to judge with just the finger-press if your tyres are up to pressure each day and maybe dispense with having to carry a gauge.

But do be aware that initially, you will underestimate the actual pressure quite a bit just by pressing the tyre with your finger.
Old 10-18-12, 07:09 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Rowan
But do be aware that initially, you will underestimate the actual pressure quite a bit just by pressing the tyre with your finger.
I am often surprised how I lose accuracy of the "press" method if I dont do it regularly, but yes, underestimating is really common
Old 10-19-12, 06:43 AM
campylover

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse SL with Campy Record 10sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I used to use an AccuGage made for Presta. Worked well.
https://www.ghmeiser.com/bicycle.htm

I have also used a Topeak Smarthead digital that was both Presta and Shrader. It leaked a lot of my air taking a reading in Presta mode, but it works very well taking a reading with a Shrader adapter threaded onto my tube. In other words, I use it in Shrader mode. This model gauge is no longer on the Topeak website, they now sell a different digital gauge that I have not used.

I usually use the gauge on my Silca floor pump for my bikes. But on the bike I have on my trainer, the pump that I use on that does not have a good gauge so I use the Topeak gauge.
This is the gauge I use on the road. I have a Topeak frame pump and check pressure with the gauge. At home I use my floor pump.