Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Aligning both STI shifters

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-14, 03:28 PM
Caribou007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How should be horizontal and vertical angles of the levers be measured to ensure both left and right levers are mounted in identical positions? Unfortunately, the handlebars have no markings to assist with positioning of the levers.
Old 06-01-14, 03:37 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lay a straightedge across the top, then very carefully look across the front, changing your viewing angle so you are looking at both the straightedge and your bars. When the sliver of light between them is the same, so are your levers.

The other is using a bubble level. Prop your bike until the bars are level, then put the level on the top of the levers.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.

Last edited by RoadTire; 06-01-14 at 03:41 PM. Reason: really crappy first daft .... umm, draft.
Old 06-01-14, 03:38 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked 2,673 Times in 1,488 Posts
Mount one lever where you like it. Then mount the second loosely and slide it close to even by eye. Lay a broom stick or similar across both and lower your head until you can line up the broomstick with the tops of the bar. Any error will be obvious. Adjust, recheck, and tighten.

BTW- if you just mount these by eye and can't feel a difference when riding that's close enough. It's not like your arms are identical anyway.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-01-14, 03:42 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
.. It's not like your arms are identical anyway.
Crap, that explains a lot. I thought it was my bars causing me to pull left...
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 06-01-14, 06:41 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Caribou007
Unfortunately, the handlebars have no markings to assist with positioning of the levers.
If handlebar makers are going to put markings near the stem, as in the attached photo, they could put them on the bends for quick lever placement. I have no clue what use those clamp area markings are good for, by the way.

I ride with traditional bend drop bars and usually start from scratch - mount the levers, snug 'em up a bit, put the bars on the floor and get the lever tips to touch the floor. Then I mark the clamp band positions with a Sharpie and ride around for awhile with reference points if I need to make adjustments. No need to carry a broom handle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0956.jpg (99.3 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-01-14, 06:57 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric S.
If handlebar makers are going to put markings near the stem, as in the attached photo, they could put them on the bends for quick lever placement. I have no clue what use those clamp area markings are good for, by the way.

They help you center the bars in the stem clamp and give you an index to set the angle of the drops and hooks. There are bars with index marks on the bends to assist brake lever/brifter placement

I ride with traditional bend drop bars and usually start from scratch - mount the levers, snug 'em up a bit, put the bars on the floor and get the lever tips to touch the floor. Then I mark the clamp band positions with a Sharpie and ride around for awhile with reference points if I need to make adjustments. No need to carry a broom handle.
Uhhh, you don't carry the broom handle, it stays in the shop. Frankly, the broom handle/yardstick method of equalizing lever placement is a lot more convenient than standing the bike on it's head to use the floor for the same purpose.
Old 06-01-14, 07:12 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
They help you center the bars in the stem clamp and give you an index to set the angle of the drops and hooks. There are bars with index marks on the bends to assist brake lever/brifter placement

Uhhh, you don't carry the broom handle, it stays in the shop. Frankly, the broom handle/yardstick method of equalizing lever placement is a lot more convenient than standing the bike on it's head to use the floor for the same purpose.
Adjusting angle is purely by feel, I don't see how those + 0 - lines help. You ride around and make adjustments.

What I meant by "starting from scratch" was handlebars off the bike.
Old 06-01-14, 08:39 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

What I meant by "starting from scratch" was handlebars off the bike.
Most mechanics attach brake levers after the bar is on the bike. Part of the reason is habit dating to when this was the only way it could be done. The other reason is the bike or stem holds the bar freeing the hands for the job. Of course ypou could always hold the bar another way, but why do it the hard way.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 06-01-14, 08:50 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

The other method. (from Park Tool website)
Attached Images
roadposition11.jpg (27.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-01-14, 09:31 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked 1,212 Times in 769 Posts
I'm going to try the broom handle thing next, just for grins.

What I usually do is mount one lever where I want it. I then run a piece of tape up the inside curve of the bar bar from the bar end to the clamp and cut it to length. I then use the same piece of tape on the other side and put the clamp where the tape ends. It's generally close enough for my needs.

I used to eyeball it and generally close enough. Sometimes I'd be bugged by a mm of difference, so would just take the tape off one side and adjust as necessary and re-wrap the tape. A few minutes at the most, once per bike.
Old 06-01-14, 09:41 PM
FBinNY 

For those who mount the levers before putting the bar into the stem, there's an easy accurate way that works most of the time.

Mount the levers and tighten one. Place the bar on a table and, holding the levers out, roll it forward until the tips of the levers touch. You want 4 point contact, like a table that doesn't wobble.

This method doesn't work as well if the levers extend below the line from the bottom of the drops, but otherwise it's quick and easy.

Old 06-01-14, 09:53 PM
Caribou007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the 4 points method suggested by a few people here. One could also use a pane of glass or something, attach some things to create space for the stem, and do it with the handlebars already installed.
Old 06-02-14, 04:10 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
the rotation about the bar affects your grip and wrist angle.
before you tape up, play with different angles. I prefer some inboard cant.
Old 06-02-14, 04:48 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft

The other method. (from Park Tool website)
That's how I do it, but just eyeball the gap (or overlap).
I do it before taping. I usually do a couple short rides without bar tape, and bring tools for adjusting things when setting up a new bike.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-02-14, 10:38 AM
jin_yeugh

Bikes: '00 Raleigh USA R-600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I definitely like the 'mount one lever to comfort, then match the other by eye/feel' method. It takes a little longer sometimes but, after a couple test rides to get the placement just right, I feel like I've got the placement just right for myself.

Since arms aren't perfectly symmetric, even with the broomstick I would have to make micro adjustments.
Old 06-02-14, 10:48 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by jin_yeugh
I definitely like the 'mount one lever to comfort, then match the other by eye/feel' method. It takes a little longer sometimes but, after a couple test rides to get the placement just right, I feel like I've got the placement just right for myself.

Since arms aren't perfectly symmetric, even with the broomstick I would have to make micro adjustments.
I agree. I use the broomstick method when setting up other peoples bicycles, because it's a very quick way to eyeball symmetry reasonably closely. As far as I'm concerned any effort to get it more precise reflects a degree of obsessiveness that seems to have become trendy.

As I said in post No.3 our arms aren't that perfectly matched anyway.

Old 06-04-14, 07:05 PM
Caribou007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lol i did it.
Attached Images
IMG_51591.jpg (85.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 06-04-14, 07:07 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Caribou007

lol i did it.
Does this qualify you for my "you might be OCD if...." thread?

Last edited by FBinNY; 06-04-14 at 07:16 PM.