Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Post your winter bike pics.

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Post your winter bike pics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-12, 01:53 PM
scotjonscot

Bikes: some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is from last winter. I'm looking forward to more fun in the snow this winter!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0330.jpg (98.7 KB, 571 views)
Old 10-28-12, 12:42 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Working on some fat fenders tonight. The front is almost ready to go except I didn't check the fit of the fork crown bracket before riveting it back into place and its a bit too short. I forgot about the rear loading horizontal dropouts on the Pugsley, which aren't full fender friendly.

Old 10-28-12, 03:12 AM
djyak

Bikes: Cannondale M300 mountain, '72 German Kurfalz touring

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now those are some fenders! Here in Germany, it snowed all day yesterday, about 4 inches. Took my daughter out riding in it, she had a blast!
Old 10-29-12, 08:10 PM
Mr Pink57
Did I catch a niner?

Bikes: Vassago Fisticuff/Surly Ogre/Surly Pugsley/Surly Pugsley 29+

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It is not done yet but list of parts so far are:

2009 Cannondale 29er 2 M frame
FSA Pig headset 1.5 to 1.25
Titec H Bars
Paul MTN with 9 speed Shimano thumbies
Salsa Mukluk fork with Fat Sheeba and HDU
Salsa Gordo 29er rim on WTB Speeddisc XC hub
Nokian Nokian Extreme 294 29x2.1
Shimano XT crank 180mm with xt chainrings
12t-36t shimano cassette
Microshift rear derailluer
Shimano front derailluer
Jagwire full length housing shift/brake
Shimano XTR levers with BB7s (180/160 rotors)
Time ATAC Z pedals

Most of this is just parts I have so it will be a cheap build and I think a fun one that will swap to a endo front and a wtb nano rear for summer commuting. I have a mud guard for the front and rear but I doubt they will do much. Also a friend of our group does frame bags so I am going to have him make one for this bike setup.

Last edited by Mr Pink57; 10-29-12 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-29-12, 11:00 PM
gecho

I can hardly wait to install the fenders. But I need to fix the paint in the front fender, and paint the rear fender. Maybe by the time I the fenders are ready to install my rack will have arrived.

I installed a Brooks saddle tonight and took the bike for a quick test ride. I'm surprised now quick and nimble it is. The thumb lever shifters make it very easy to shift and brake at the same time. I also removed several decals.

Old 10-30-12, 01:44 AM
djyak

Bikes: Cannondale M300 mountain, '72 German Kurfalz touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'd have to be grinning the entire time you are riding, like a kid playing. It looks awesome!
Old 10-30-12, 08:34 PM
TheDavid 
Sheeeee-it!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I applied the finishing touches to my winter bike earlier this month. We had snow over the weekend so I was finally able to take it for a spin. Eventually I'll put on the winter tires, but for now the Schwalbe Landcruisers do the trick.

Last edited by TheDavid; 11-03-12 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-30-12, 10:07 PM
gecho

Fenders on! Just need a rear rack.

Old 10-30-12, 11:16 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
gecho... you will have to explain how you did up those fenders, they look great.

As for racks... Filzer's disc rack bolt up pretty nicely as you can offset the arms and add a few spacers to get a good match to the offset in the frame... by spring I should have fabricated some custom racks for my Pug for the front and rear to handle greater loads.

Filzer disc rack...

Old 10-31-12, 12:16 AM
gecho

I got the idea from this thread on the mtbr forums: https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/yet...ad-744695.html . There are a few neat ideas for fenders in that thread.

On page 2 the user Sonic Death Monkey used the same fenders with strips from a garbage can as the center material. On page 4 I posted some additional pictures with some details of how I made mine.

For the center strip I used an 8 foot piece of white vinyl from Home Depot. I think I used about 7 feet of it. It was labeled "White cap 3 1/2 inch" and was in with the screen door stuff. There were two ridges on the inside I spent considerable time cutting off, which made a big powdery mess, so it might not be the best material to work with.

I painted it with Krylon Fusion for plastic paint. That paint has some nasty overspray issues. The website says it has lots of solids for good coverage. A side effect seems to be that those solids that fall out of the overspray left a red powder in a several foot radius of the area I did the spraying. I cleaned it up using a shop vac.
Old 10-31-12, 03:11 PM
scoatw

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Those look like the ingenious Sondgeroff fender. My question is; Do you remove the mounting bracket that sits in the center of the fender before you cut it in half ? And if you did, are the rivets hard to drill out to remove them.
the link is here; https://www.northcentralcyclery.com/?p=1419

the thread on mtbr.com; https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/cus...rs-672314.html

Last edited by scoatw; 10-31-12 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-31-12, 05:04 PM
gecho

Originally Posted by scoatw
Those look like the ingenious Sondgeroff fender. My question is; Do you remove the mounting bracket that sits in the center of the fender before you cut it in half ? And if you did, are the rivets hard to drill out to remove them.
I wouldn't be surprised if the work in the thread I linked to was inspired by the thread you provided. I see in your link he also widened the mud flap. I discovered on today's ride that I definitely have to put one back on the front.

I drilled out all the rivets before cutting the fenders in half. That included the fork bracket, mud flaps, and stay brackets. The stay brackets themselves also needed to be cut in half, but I did that separately. The fork bracket wasn't long enough, which I didn't discover until after I fastened the new rivets. I just bolted on an extra piece, but had I been thinking I should have just made a new longer bracket.

Some of the rivets were easy to get out. But others, particularly the mud flap rivets, had a tendency to just spin. A C-clamp might be helpful to keep the rivets from spinning, but I didn't have one to try.
Old 10-31-12, 05:19 PM
RGNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
been my daily commuter since this build pic. put Bar Mitts on it today for the high 30's cold rain. spare wheelset in the garage with Conti Winter Contacts.

Old 10-31-12, 09:28 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RGNY
been my daily commuter since this build pic. put Bar Mitts on it today for the high 30's cold rain. spare wheelset in the garage with Conti Winter Contacts.

How do bar mitts work with road bars? The only kind I've seen are for flat bars.
Old 11-01-12, 05:40 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
How do bar mitts work with road bars? The only kind I've seen are for flat bars.
Old 11-01-12, 07:12 AM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
drop bars:

https://barmitts.com/install.php

also, the cheap (~18-24$) ATV mitts from Cabela's, Gander Mountain type stores may or may not work on a drop bar, here they work OK on my Fargo

ATV mitts. by mbeganyi, on Flickr
Old 11-01-12, 05:53 PM
RGNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
road Bar Mitts. i can use them alone down to about 30F. and with a liner glove down to around 20F. i got size large so i can get a full glove in them if i have to.

Old 11-01-12, 08:50 PM
gecho

Added a mud flap to my fender. I stopped by a surplus store looking for rubber sheets, but found a big bin of leather remnants. I was hoping to go a bit longer but there weren't many large pieces. I should find out tomorrow whether its long enough.

Old 11-01-12, 10:53 PM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RGNY
road Bar Mitts. i can use them alone down to about 30F. and with a liner glove down to around 20F. i got size large so i can get a full glove in them if i have to.

The main problem with those bar mitts is that there are in contact with the hands. The cold air reach hands more easily when there is contact between the bar mitts and the hands. I've got the same problem with mine. It's not so much a problem at 20F but at -20F it is. I solved the problem with bar ends. Now there is gap, it's now way better against cold.

Originally Posted by gecho
Added a mud flap to my fender. I stopped by a surplus store looking for rubber sheets, but found a big bin of leather remnants. I was hoping to go a bit longer but there weren't many large pieces. I should find out tomorrow whether its long enough.

Mine were at the same length and i got some problems especially when going through water and mud. My feet were exposed when pedaling yours should be too i suppose. With the current set up the bottom of your bike should be covered with mud
I think your fenders are not large enough but only tests will tell.
Nice looking fenders by the way.
Old 11-03-12, 03:54 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Dear Old Man Winter,

Bring it on... I am ready.

1964 Sturmey Archer AG hub... an AW with a generator.

Suntour XC pedals...

Thermos of coffee...

New BM Lumotec Classic headlight which works brilliantly with the AG hub...

My dedicated winter bike... it wears those studded tyres all year.

Old 11-03-12, 08:22 PM
RGNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erig007
The main problem with those bar mitts is that there are in contact with the hands. The cold air reach hands more easily when there is contact between the bar mitts and the hands. I've got the same problem with mine. It's not so much a problem at 20F but at -20F it is. I solved the problem with bar ends. Now there is gap, it's now way better against cold.
agreed. glad i went with the large size. without gloves or with thin/liner gloves there is virtually no contact, only a little cold air swirling in through the back. not perfect, but a good tool to have in the box. of course i still haven't tried lobster mittens....
Old 11-03-12, 08:35 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Old 11-06-12, 07:43 PM
gecho

The rack I installed is far enough forward that I won't be able to fit quite as much stuff in my trunk bag. But at least the back of my legs aren't striking it as I pedal. I had to move the pannier back further than on my other bikes to avoid heel strike. One upside of the higher mounting position for the rack is that the pannier doesn't seem to be hit by as much road spray.

Old 11-07-12, 05:26 PM
TheDavid 
Sheeeee-it!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New pictures of my winter bike in its natural habitat. Changed the chainring from 48t to 45 and put on a 20t rear cog for a slightly lower gearing and I am glad I did! Running 48x18 is sadistic when the snow falls in Edmonton.

Last edited by TheDavid; 11-07-12 at 05:28 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-07-12, 08:22 PM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
[QUOTE=TheDavid;14925381]New pictures of my winter bike in its natural habitat. Changed the chainring from 48t to 45 and put on a 20t rear cog for a slightly lower gearing and I am glad I did! Running 48x18 is sadistic when the snow falls in Edmonton.

Running 48x18 is masochistic when the snow falls in Edmonton.

What kind of tires are those?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.