Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

need help on bike lights

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

need help on bike lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-13, 06:12 PM
Hank244

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Light & Motion products are my favorites, too. Expensive, but worth every penny. When the price drops a little, I'll grab a Taz 1200.
Old 01-04-13, 10:49 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I put out the funds to get a hub Dynamo and an LED head and taillight wired to it.

so I don't worry about the battery run time, and its lowered performance when cold.
+1

On the Ixon IQ front, my understanding is that it's the same emitter and optics as the IQ Cyo. My Cyo is good to 20 mph, and 25 on a dark (but good) road. The low mount really shows up bumps in the road.
Old 01-05-13, 12:10 PM
Black Jaque

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well. I forked out the cash for one of those Philips Saferides since Peter White is discounting them to $130. It sounds like they are twice as bright as the Ixon IQ. It looks like the Philips has the "engineered" reflecters to put the light where you need it most. And it runs off of good ol' AAs which can be recharged. The drawback would be run time on high is reduced but so far on the worst days my commute has always been under 25 minutes. And since it uses AAs finding/purchasing/carrying back-up batteries should be a cinch.

It appears that the Ixon is more popular ($130 regular price might by why) but the reviews I've read from those who've experienced both seem to indicate the Philips is the better light. I'll report back when it arrives and I have a chance to road-test it.
Old 01-05-13, 01:31 PM
djyak

Bikes: Cannondale M300 mountain, '72 German Kurfalz touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I have 7 of the crees. (4 bikes) They are very bright, The zooming of the beam is an awesome feature.

[
Aside from the lights, I love the placement of the airhorn! Good idea!
Old 01-05-13, 01:33 PM
djyak

Bikes: Cannondale M300 mountain, '72 German Kurfalz touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I bought them for daytime riding with the strobe mode. They are brighter than the IQ.

Recommend two of these. I have similar models. One can be adjusted for distance the other for close up.
Run time 3 hours on one battery.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...674344012.html

Are those just the stretchy wrist bands holding the lights? I never would have thought of that!
Old 01-05-13, 03:55 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Jaque
Well. I forked out the cash for one of those Philips Saferides since Peter White is discounting them to $130. It sounds like they are twice as bright as the Ixon IQ. It looks like the Philips has the "engineered" reflecters to put the light where you need it most. And it runs off of good ol' AAs which can be recharged. The drawback would be run time on high is reduced but so far on the worst days my commute has always been under 25 minutes. And since it uses AAs finding/purchasing/carrying back-up batteries should be a cinch.

It appears that the Ixon is more popular ($130 regular price might by why) but the reviews I've read from those who've experienced both seem to indicate the Philips is the better light. I'll report back when it arrives and I have a chance to road-test it.
Cool! Great grab at that price. I'm even tempted...although I think the unit is huge and ungainly. I'd love to have that shaped beam, though. Hmmm....maybe I ought to.
Old 01-05-13, 10:38 PM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a cheapo $15 Cateye 3 LED bike light that has worked well enough for me during my summer commutes.

However, now that I am biking at night in the snow I can appreciate the value of some of these higher dollar bike lights. I'm considering the Niterider 650, or a Cateye EL625, or a Busch & Muller Ixon IQ. The problem is I cannot find anything on the Ixon IQ that compares it to how many lumens it has. It only expresses the output in LUX which is not really convertable.

I am impressed with the Peter White page that has pictures of the Ixon IQ beam. But of course on his website there is no such pictures for the Cateye or Niterider. I like the idea of using regular AA batteries - but something tells me that 4 AAs won't produce 600 lumens, but maybe I'm wrong?

Anyway, I need to be able to see the details of this sea of white stuff in front of my bike to prevent crashing. If I'm going to spend around $120 or so does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on these three lights?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZgVa...e_gdata_player
Old 01-06-13, 10:05 AM
Hank244

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lopeak, that looks exactly like my SpokeGrenade light. However, I paid $80. I'll not cry, for that light has served me well for over a year. As I mentioned in my first post, I don't think the lights are putting out a (true) 1000 lumens. I would guess more like 700. In any case, it has turned out to be a great deal. With much more brightness and a smaller battery pack (lasting three hours on high), it instantly replaced my Ixon IQ Speed light.
Old 01-10-13, 08:51 PM
Black Jaque

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's the cheapo light I was using before I got the Philips. https://www.amazon.com/Cateye-HL-EL20...pr_product_top a Cateye EL200.

So I guess just about anything would be an improvement. So far the Philips Saferide seems robustly built with a metal body. It is really bright. Plenty bright so give me the visual detail I need. The only problems I could anticipate would be if the battery life turns out to be a pain; but it seems plenty bright on low, so . . .

I also have not tested the handlebar mount in bumpy conditions. So I hope it holds snug.
Old 01-13-13, 12:24 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Here's the cheapo light I was using before I got the Philips. https://www.amazon.com/Cateye-HL-EL20...pr_product_top a Cateye EL200.

So I guess just about anything would be an improvement. So far the Philips Saferide seems robustly built with a metal body. It is really bright. Plenty bright so give me the visual detail I need. The only problems I could anticipate would be if the battery life turns out to be a pain; but it seems plenty bright on low, so . . .

I also have not tested the handlebar mount in bumpy conditions. So I hope it holds snug.
SANYO ENELOOPS! Good for 1000 (or 1500) recharges. $30-35 for a giant set with charger at Costco fairly often. I use the AAA Eneloops in my rear blinkies. Good for the environment too!