Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Fenders yes or no

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.
View Poll Results: Fenders
Leave them on
79.66%
Take them off
13.56%
Doesnt matter either way
6.78%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Fenders yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-13, 09:07 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
I didn't vote either. It depends. My fenders only go on the bike for tours in wet weather, and I used to use them for commuting in rainy seasons only. I have a love/hate relationship with fenders--love them when it's raining, hate them when it's dry. And I agree fenders are as valuable for keeping one clean as they are for keeping one dry. My clothing, drive train and packs are so much cleaner with fenders. I don't care so much about water, or I wouldn't be cycling in the rain.

I know some cyclists in Phoenix who put fenders on in the summer! They say there's so much over-watering from irrigation systems there. That's sad.
Old 01-28-13, 09:14 PM
xyzzy834

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always have fenders on my touring bike. Of course you'll still get wet in the rain, but you won't get nearly as dirty from road grime. As soon as it stops raining, I stop getting wet no matter how wet the road is or how many small puddles. The thermoplastic fenders are an insignificant weight addition and of no possible aerodynamic consequence on a bike with four panniers.
Old 01-28-13, 09:16 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
I didn't vote because it depends. IME there are two concerns, neither of which is assembly/disassembly.

1) Weather. No sense in running them if rain is a slim possibility. They are a PITA when fixing flats and other things.
2) Hotels. The easiest way to move a bike in an elevator is to stand it on end, meaning front fender only. And if you're touring, you have all this stuff on the back anyway and very probably will not have another rider on your wheel. So only the front makes a big difference anyway.
Old 01-29-13, 12:23 AM
busted knuckles

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
fenders for me. ever ride over mushy road kill?
Old 01-29-13, 02:38 AM
djyak

Bikes: Cannondale M300 mountain, '72 German Kurfalz touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On my touring bike, I leave them on. A good turns to a great ride when they are in place with wet weather, and yes, even road kill. I have some removable ones for my mountain bike, but half the fun of riding purposely in the mud is to get muddy with it.
Old 01-29-13, 04:59 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by djyak
I have some removable ones for my mountain bike, but half the fun of riding purposely in the mud is to get muddy with it.
Since you mentioned the mountain bike... I have been impressed by how little mud gets on me when mountain biking. Other than a streak up my back I found that I come home cleaner from mountain biking than from trail running. That got me to thinking that with the rack on the bike I wouldn't even have that streak. As a result of those two revelations, I wound up leaving the fenders off of my bikes that I used on the last few tours.
Old 01-29-13, 05:19 AM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On a rainy day I prefer not to eat spray from the front wheel. It makes ridig with glasses a PITA. That being said on a nice day I'll ride one of my fenderless bikes by preference.
Old 01-29-13, 07:49 AM
djyak

Bikes: Cannondale M300 mountain, '72 German Kurfalz touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Since you mentioned the mountain bike... I have been impressed by how little mud gets on me when mountain biking. Other than a streak up my back I found that I come home cleaner from mountain biking than from trail running. That got me to thinking that with the rack on the bike I wouldn't even have that streak. As a result of those two revelations, I wound up leaving the fenders off of my bikes that I used on the last few tours.
Yup, the streak. Just to prove I was out having fun
Old 01-29-13, 09:02 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Its a big question for me at the mo.
My current bike, my Moulton APB, has worn fenders for the entire 17 years I've owned it.
The dropouts are vertical so its no extra bother to remove the rear wheel.
I'm looking at a Surly Ogre and am dreading whats involved in puncture repair.
As the dropouts are horizontal, it looks like remove the fender first and then try to remove the rear wheel.
I think its whats holding me back from buying my frame to be honest.
Shame as its the only "budget" off road touring frame thats disk brake and Rohloff friendly that I've found in 29er format so far.
Old 01-29-13, 10:22 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
rifraf, see my earlier post about these flexible fenders, I have had two tie wrapped onto this bike for years and years and years, theyve never come off, and being flexible, are great for transport.
Dont break, go back to their sshape, and keep crap off me and with the second one attached to the vertical part of the frame, stop crap going all over the rd.

they are ugly but work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
flexible_fenders-2.jpg (99.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-29-13, 10:58 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I voted to leave them on.
If it ends up raining on me, I'd rather only have to fight with it from above than also spraying me from the tires.
Old 01-29-13, 11:20 AM
jbphilly

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For on-road touring or mild dirt roads, definitely, even though putting them on is annoying.

For mountain biking/bikepacking, I use the same bike and don't want fenders. They get in the way and get knocked out of whack all the time.
Old 01-29-13, 12:33 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
In addition to wet weather protection, fenders also keep crap off your drivetrain when it is dry. Everything the front tire slings up is aimed straight into your crankset/chain, and transferred to cassette and derailleurs. Fenders weigh little and are a nuisance to install, but they can pay for themselves many times over in extended drivetrain component life.

If you're going to bother with fenders, then you need to also clean and lube your chain frequently for best shifting and component longevity. I've used homemade chain cleaner/lube for years, it works great and is much cheaper than commercial alternatives. Just mix motor automotive engine oil and paint thinner at a 1:5-7 ratio (it's not an exact science). Best to store/mix in an old commercial lube bottle that allows drop-wise application to chain, so you don't make a mess. Apologies for thread derail.
Old 01-30-13, 09:16 PM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I scoffed at the idea of fenders for many years. Then I installed cheap fenders, and discovered they were almost useless. About seven years ago, I installed decent fenders on a new bike, and have never looked back. They make riding in bad weather much easier... no wet stripes on my back!

I wouldn't be overly concerned with the weight on a touring bike. 200 or 300 grams does not make a significant difference in performance. If you insist on saving the weight, eat 80 or 100 calories less every day, and exercise 10 or 15 extra minutes a day!
Old 01-30-13, 10:26 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Alaska I've heard is rainy in summer & Atlantic coast can be rainy in May also so I'd go with some plastic fenders. With LHT removal/installation shouldn't be too hard with dedicated stay eyelets & not having to mess with brake bolts, eh?
Old 01-31-13, 03:48 AM
Lasse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
With LHT removal/installation shouldn't be too hard with dedicated stay eyelets & not having to mess with brake bolts, eh?
Indeed easy to install/remove fenders on the LHT. For some fender models you might have to cut the stays to size the first time you install them (which is also easy anyway). A front SKS fender is fixed by 3 easily removable bolts, the tire can just stay in. The rear is fixed by 4 bolts, but the tire has to be removed to reach the chainstay bridge bolt (at least on my installation).
Old 01-31-13, 06:45 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 12bar
I have been trying to decide weather to leave the fenders on my LHT or take them off to save a small amount of weight and make shipping disassembly / reassembly a little easier. So what are your thoughts on the subject of fenders.
You want to take them off for the weight? Just don't eat that cupcake in front of you and leave the fenders on.

Or, just make sure you never ride when it is raining or recently rained.
Old 01-31-13, 12:38 PM
neil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If there's a non-zero chance of rain, keep them on. There's nothing like riding several hours in the rain to make you appreciate some good fenders.

I've found that the front fender needs to be detached for shipping, but at least my bike has no problem being packed with the rear fender intact.
Old 01-31-13, 02:28 PM
boomhauer

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Dirt is the main reason for fenders. If you ever go down a gravel road or cinder bike path you will be lubing the chain very often. Since I finally put on fenders I only oil the drive system 25% as often. Don't know why I waited so long.
Old 01-31-13, 03:33 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I don't use fenders for the weight, and because I hate fixing/adjusting them on tour. Then again, I just spent an hour and a half today cleaning road sand out of everything, due to it being winter in the Northeast.

Road Salt is wreaking havoc on my bike, but you know what they say about Zen and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance... I feel at peace.
Old 01-31-13, 06:05 PM
stevage

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Sport 2009

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Never used em. Don't like the clanking sound other peoples' always seem to make. Can't really see the point of them, to be honest - about the only benefit would be not getting a muddy streak up my back. I usually have enough stuff on the front of the bike that spray doesn't reach my face.
Old 01-31-13, 06:10 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I take them off so I can pack them, does that count? I think I would keep them. I like to ride in the rain, but I like it more when I have fenders on.
Old 01-31-13, 08:07 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by mdilthey
I don't use fenders for the weight, and because I hate fixing/adjusting them on tour. Then again, I just spent an hour and a half today cleaning road sand out of everything, due to it being winter in the Northeast.

Road Salt is wreaking havoc on my bike, but you know what they say about Zen and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance... I feel at peace.
just saying, the weight thing is one thing, thats up to you, but in all the years Ive used fenders, they never need fixing or adjusting--maybe once in a blue moon a tug on the metal stays to center a fender if it gets pushed in by something (hardly ever happens and its a 5 second operation).

I too feel at peace after bike maintenance, but a good set of fenders really does keep sandy crap off the fd and less on the chain too, so I can feel at peace faster.

Im pretty much in the middle with this debate, but riding in rain and or on dirt, they certainly keep the drivetrain cleaner.
Old 01-31-13, 08:21 PM
SuperLJ
"part timer"

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1978 Bertin C35, 1982 Trek 614, 1983 Trek 620, 1984 Nishiki Seral, 1995 Mercian Ko’M, 1998 Fisher HKEK, 2000 Rivendell RS, 2001 Heron Touring, 2016 Nobilette Custom

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 61 Posts
Leave them on. Every well-dressed touring bike should have them.

It's true that if it's pouring rain you'll get just as wet even if you have fenders. What about when it's just light rain, drizzle, or right after it rains and the pavement's wet and there's puddles everywhere? You'll stay much dryer with a good set of full coverage fenders. They also keep your feet and drivetrain waaaaay dryer and cleaner. Rainwater is clean - roadspray is not!

I used to cart my bike around in the back seat of my car, and fixed it up so that I could remove the front fender in about 30 seconds with just an allen wrench (and no, it never rattled loose).

Last edited by SuperLJ; 01-31-13 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-31-13, 08:22 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Properly installed fenders are silent and last essentially forever, barring misadventure. They also weigh pretty much nothing, especially in the context of a touring bike - and wind tunnel testing shows them to slightly reduce aerodynamic drag. Of course, claiming that you should put fenders on your bike to reduce drag is about as silly as saying you should take them off to save weight...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.