Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Dry bags as panniers

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Dry bags as panniers

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-14, 12:00 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by MassiveD
By the way, those of you who want ultralite, or to make your own waterproof bags, you might consider making some out of silnylon.
I used Sea to Summit's Ultrasil ones for the Southern Tier and they were pretty shot at the end. I confess that I am not very careful with them though. They might have made another coast to coast trip, but they were really pretty ratty and patched up. I don't think most silnylon would hold up any better than S2S's ultrasil.

So depending on how long you expect it to last, how careful you are with it, and how good your silnylon is it may or may not be acceptable. I am pretty fussy about weight and still go a bit heavier than silnylon for bags. Sea 2 Summits Evac fabric suits me pretty well and if making my own, I would look for something similar in durability as even the Evac ones require fairly careful handling.
Old 01-14-14, 12:38 PM
MassiveD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
That sounds par for the course to me. I'm very careful with gear, but it probably amounts to the same treatment you mention. I would never put a coffee cup down on my table without a coaster, but I am fully ready to toss it into the truck's empty back seat if something comes up down the road. I take extreme care, but the road dictates what that will be.

So the deal with ultralite is that it really helps to sew. Most of the real gear is dead simple. People shelling out cash want value, which in part is unnecessary rubbish. But made stuff satisfies for other reasons. It takes under an hour to make a bag, and a couple of bucks. So if it "only" held up cross country, I wouldn't be too ticked. And likely a ripstop bag with serious seam sealing for a few bucks from MEC would do well also. I have my own brand tags, so I don't get that feeling I am using stuff from goodwill.
Old 01-14-14, 03:38 PM
arctos
40 yrs bike touring

Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988], Velo Orange Neutrino (2020)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rodar y rodar
Arctos, any pictures of your shell system? It sounds interresting, but I can`t picture it in my head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
B070.jpg (99.5 KB, 104 views)
BGRNRTi copy.jpg (94.4 KB, 144 views)
Old 01-14-14, 04:11 PM
arctos
40 yrs bike touring

Bikes: Bruce Gordon Ti Rock N Road [1989], Fat Chance Mountain Tandem [1988], Velo Orange Neutrino (2020)

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
With my minimal sewing skills clearly in mind, I had Carousel Design Works make another rear stuffer shell for my dry bags. It is somewhat larger than my original one pictured in reply #28 above and adds six pockets. The extra capacity is for longer and colder tours requiring more and warmer equipment.
Dimensions: 12 inch diameter and 24 inches long with drawstring closure making it functionally shorter. The cinch down straps fit between the pockets and under the ladderloop up top. I have used 35L or 50L dry bags inside. The reflective triangle also has a tab for a blinking tail light.

Attached Images
2213335578_bd110327dd_b.jpg (99.5 KB, 126 views)
2212533641_a204537df7_b.jpg (101.6 KB, 122 views)
Old 01-20-14, 06:34 PM
spinnered

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use dry bags to carry extra things I need for touring in cooler weather conditions. For warmer weather, everything fits in my panniers.

Old 04-07-14, 10:39 AM
djyak

Bikes: Cannondale M300 mountain, '72 German Kurfalz touring

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JPWilcox
I use four, 5 liter dry bags mounted with straps horizontally on front and rear racks. The top of the bag is to the rear. They are lighter and present less of profile to the wind that regular panniers. A couple of precautions;
1. Carry your daytime needs in a top rack bag. Carry nightime/morning items in the dry bags
2. Cinch up tightly. A little movement means abrasion. I added clear strapping tape to cover the forks so the paint would not wear off. Since you never put the bags on exactly the same way, a little wear should not be a problem. I also did a strip of orange duct tape on the rear bags for good measure.

I was looking at doing something similar with the front racks on my bike. I have a bunch of dry bags, and it looks like the way I'll go for a little extra gear.
Old 04-09-14, 06:10 AM
bent4me

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
Arkel dri-ites