Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New bike - extra charge for pedals?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New bike - extra charge for pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-21, 07:58 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I imagine the OP is better off with decent pedals. I'm a bit surprised the pedals that come with inexpensive bikes pass the lawyer test
Old 01-27-21, 08:21 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
The more you spend on a bike, the less you get. My bike didn't come with pedals. It also didn't come with a chain guard, kickstand, fenders, or reflectors.
Likes For Random11:
Old 01-27-21, 09:21 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
The more you spend on a bike, the less you get. My bike didn't come with pedals. It also didn't come with a chain guard, kickstand, fenders, or reflectors.
You gotta stop shopping at those skeezy places, man. Reflectors are required on bikes for consumer sale under federal law in the USA.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id....1512&rgn=div5

They might be rippin’ you off on the other sh*t, too. You should check.
Old 01-27-21, 09:32 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by martin_nv
Yes Canadian $ sorry. After further thought I probably would have upgraded the pedals anyway, but I will mention it next time I'm in there.
yeah, like mack_turtle said, the One Ups are nice, and not something to be upset about; you probably got the composite bodies with metal traction pins, right?

Do ask the shop about it next time you’re in, though, just to know what the deal was, like did they upsell you on those, or did the bike actually not include any pedals. Again, no biggie, because these are almost certainly much better; more comfy, durable, and safe.

If you want, you can tell them you know a dude who bought three new, complete bikes within the past 10 months at USD $750, $850, and $1.4k, all of which included pedals, so what’s up with that? It could be a Canadian thing. 😉
Old 01-27-21, 10:09 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
You gotta stop shopping at those skeezy places, man. Reflectors are required on bikes for consumer sale under federal law in the USA.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id....1512&rgn=div5

They might be rippin’ you off on the other sh*t, too. You should check.
I followed the link and was surprised to see the requirement that bikes have reflectors. I went to look at my bike just to be sure... and it doesn't have reflectors. I'm guessing my LBS just didn't put them on when they assembled the bike. Looks like I'm riding illegally every time I take the bike out.
Old 01-27-21, 10:45 PM
Dr.Lou

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
Since the mid 90s, none of my bikes since have come with pedals. If I didn’t already have some, I usually negotiated a set. The Surly Bridge Club I bought a couple weeks ago didn’t come with pedals, but my friends Marin Bolinas Ridge did.
Old 01-28-21, 12:15 AM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Ahem.

The Giant webpage for this bike clearly pictures it with platform pedals, and the specs indicate the same.

The shop owes the OP a pair of pedals.
My you guys are smart but I give it to Koyote for first pointing this out - the Talon 2 indeed comes with platform pedals and the shop should at least offer that.
Old 01-28-21, 01:03 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Looks like I'm riding illegally every time I take the bike out.
They probably have the reflectors and didn't put them on. This is common practice. You might ask your shop for some reflectors, they either have some or can save the ones they get on the next bike they put together.

It's not illegal to ride without reflectors during the day. At night it depends on your location.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-28-21, 05:16 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I followed the link and was surprised to see the requirement that bikes have reflectors. I went to look at my bike just to be sure... and it doesn't have reflectors. I'm guessing my LBS just didn't put them on when they assembled the bike. Looks like I'm riding illegally every time I take the bike out.
The federal law is only to do with consumer sales. How you ride a bike you own is proscribed by other regulations.

Meeting the legal requirements of sale just means reflectors need to be included with the sale of partially assembled bikes, but showroom bikes should have them installed to be compliant, I believe. At the very least, a bag of reflectors should come with the assembled bike, or they should offer to remove them for you, if only to meet the spirit of the law. If a shop doesn’t even do that...skeezy.
Old 01-28-21, 07:51 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
yeah, what's up with that? I was going to buy a Madone but it didn't come with a sissy bar, handlebar streamers, a horn, turn signals, a seatbelt, spokey dokes, or a place to put a baseball card in the spokes so I can pretend it's a motorcycle. I was about to compromise on those items, but when the shop refused to put the banana seat that I supplied on it, I decided to take my money elsewhere. it's a scam!
Old 01-28-21, 08:51 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

The federal law is only to do with consumer sales. How you ride a bike you own is proscribed by other regulations.

Meeting the legal requirements of sale just means reflectors need to be included with the sale of partially assembled bikes, but showroom bikes should have them installed to be compliant, I believe. At the very least, a bag of reflectors should come with the assembled bike, or they should offer to remove them for you, if only to meet the spirit of the law. If a shop doesn’t even do that...skeezy.
It's not skeezy at all, nobody wants reflectors so most bike shops don't put them on most bikes. It's not like the law has any teeth, the cpsc doesn't have any police or the baby section at walmart wouldn't exist. I don't understand why a customer that wanted reflectors wouldn't just ask about it, because shops have a lifetime supply of new reflectors in a drawer that they could put on a bike. And it's likely that most bike shops have a pile of incredibly cheap pedals off of new bikes that customers didn't want.
Old 01-28-21, 08:58 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
It's not skeezy at all, nobody wants reflectors ....
This saddens me....
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 01-28-21, 09:32 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
For extra fun you should have asked BF for pedal suggestions. It's about time for a good pedal fight
Or he could have asked about pedals, seats and shorts in the same post!
Old 01-28-21, 09:36 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

It's not skeezy at all, nobody wants reflectors so most bike shops don't put them on most bikes. It's not like the law has any teeth, the cpsc doesn't have any police or the baby section at walmart wouldn't exist. I don't understand why a customer that wanted reflectors wouldn't just ask about it, because shops have a lifetime supply of new reflectors in a drawer that they could put on a bike. And it's likely that most bike shops have a pile of incredibly cheap pedals off of new bikes that customers didn't want.
it’s totally skeezy...completely unethical. If someone needs laws to have teeth to make them compliant, that’s skeezy, too. “No cop, no stop,” is that how we should roll?

I have no problem with the shop removing them if the customer wants, but to suggest that shops not only disregard their legal obligation, and further, make it incumbent upon the buyer to ask for what is supposed to come with the bike, is pretty slimy. Give buyers what they’re supposed to have, and let them decide what do with it.

I’d guess that most people who shop at bike shops are either pretty inexperienced and haven’t thought ever in their life about reflectors, have never given any consideration to bicycle safety and were not taught about it in school, or have no idea that a bike wouldn’t come with reflectors and therefore wouldn’t think to ask about them. I don’t know that’s true, of course, nor do we know the converse is true, or even that a large percentage of buyers don’t want reflectors; correct me if there’s indicative data on that, but I’ e never seen it. Given that, and that reflectors are inexpensive, effective, easy to install and remove safety items for the general public good and have no deleterious effect on the bike or rider, the ethical, non-skeezy position for a shop to take is to mount them as required by law, or at the minimum include them with sale.

Further, it seems to me that a shop could use the reflector discussion to show distinctive service and care to the customer, and use as an upsell strategy for lights. That’s good business. Denying customers their due is not. That’s skeezy, like the OP’s shop and the pedals.

Last edited by chaadster; 01-28-21 at 09:52 AM.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 01-28-21, 09:58 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Shops who don't include the required reflectors on new bikes are leaving themselves open to possible lawsuits should one of their customers get in a wreck and the motorists lawyers are looking to shift at least some of the blame and financial judgements. Not a very wise thing to do.
Old 01-28-21, 10:01 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
it’s totally skeezy...completely unethical. If someone needs laws to have teeth to make them compliant, that’s skeezy, too. “No cop, no stop,” is that how we should roll?

I have no problem with the shop removing them if the customer wants, but to suggest that shops not only disregard their legal obligation, and further, make it incumbent upon the buyer to ask for what is supposed to come with the bike, is pretty slimy. Give buyers what they’re supposed to have, and let them decide what do with it.

I’d guess that most people who shop at bike shops are either pretty inexperienced and haven’t thought ever in their life about reflectors, have never given any consideration to bicycle safety and were not taught about it in school, or have no idea that a bike wouldn’t come with reflectors and therefore wouldn’t think to ask about them. I don’t know that’s true, of course, nor do we know the converse is true, or even that a large percentage of buyers don’t want reflectors; correct me if there’s indicative data on that, but I’ e never seen it. Given that, and that reflectors are inexpensive, effective, easy to install and remove safety items for the general public good and have no deleterious effect on the bike or rider, the ethical, non-skeezy position for a shop to take is to mount them as required by law, or at the minimum include them with sale.

Further, it seems to me that a shop could use the reflector discussion to show distinctive service and care to the customer, and use as an upsell strategy for lights. That’s good business. Denying customers their due is not. That’s skeezy, like the OP’s shop and the pedals.
Given that every single state requires lights on a bike that is ridden at night, and that many (maybe most?) bike lights now include side lights, and given that reflectors work in only a very narrow range of conditions...It seems like the reflector requirement is just kind of pointless. If the bike is going to be ridden at night, the shop would be remiss in letting a customer head out the door under the belief that the reflectors will be sufficient.
Old 01-28-21, 10:13 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I guess we'll have to disagree then, you're saying virtually every shop in the U.S. is skeezy because they do what their customers want. Also, nobody wants to talk about reflectors. The shop I work for doesn't put reflectors on most bikes that cost over $1000. Those customers know what they want and will ask if they want the reflectors put on. Hybrids, kids bikes and other low-end bikes get reflectors. Safety is a tricky subject. If an inexperienced person thought that cpsc minimum reflectors make them at all safe at night, then they are a disservice.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-28-21, 10:26 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,363 Times in 945 Posts
It's a federal law that bicycles are required to be sold with reflectors.

State traffic law dictates the legal requirements when riding.

Typically, reflectors and lights are required by state law when riding at night.
Old 01-28-21, 10:26 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Or he could have asked about pedals, seats and shorts in the same post!
One fight at a time. Got to work our way slowly to valve caps

Likes For hillyman:
Old 01-28-21, 10:28 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Shops who don't include the required reflectors on new bikes are leaving themselves open to possible lawsuits should one of their customers get in a wreck and the motorists lawyers are looking to shift at least some of the blame and financial judgements. Not a very wise thing to do.
This hypothetical versus reality.

It's fairly common not to include the reflectors. Has any shop ever been sued because of it?
Old 01-28-21, 10:31 AM
njkayaker

If a shop doesn’t even do that...skeezy.
Overly melodramatic.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 01-28-21, 10:34 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Originally Posted by njkayaker
This hypothetical versus reality.

It's fairly common not to include the reflectors. Has any shop ever been sued because of it?
I don't know, but I do know it's possible and that the resulting judgment could be devastating to a small shop. No way would I risk it when it is so easy to avoid.
Old 01-28-21, 10:40 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I don't know, but I do know it's possible and that the resulting judgment could be devastating to a small shop. No way would I risk it when it is so easy to avoid.
The risk isn't going to be different from the purchaser taking the reflectors off and suing the shop anyway, The shop would need the purchaser to sign a statement and have it notarized.
Old 01-28-21, 11:08 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Originally Posted by njkayaker
The risk isn't going to be different from the purchaser taking the reflectors off and suing the shop anyway, The shop would need the purchaser to sign a statement and have it notarized.
Or a picture of their son with his new bike in front of the bike shop sans reflectors along with a bill of sale. I agree the risk is low, especially with adults and higher end bikes, but it's not zero so why would a shop knowingly risk it? I worked in shops, reflectors always went on new bikes. It must have worked, we were never sued!
Old 01-28-21, 11:11 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I'm trying to remember the brand that got sued because the cpsc reflectors didn't keep the rider safe at night. People sue due to a bad outcome. The actual fault usually has nothing to do with it.

Here's another skeezy thing shops do, recycle the users manual.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.