Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Turbo Vado 5.0, Turbo Vado 5.0 SL, or non-ebike?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-23, 06:59 AM
malfist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Hi All,

Hoping you guys can give me some advice. I enjoy cycling for fitness. I live in a city, about 1 mile from the middle of a 10 mile (each direction) bike trail that is really nice. However, I've not done a whole lot of bike riding the past few years for two reasons:
The (starter) bike I have has a really cheap (Shimano Altus) 3x8 groupset and shifting isn't fun, cross chaining and chain rub seems to be the name of the game. I don't use gear 3 on the front derailleur because shifting almost always fails, and a few times the chain has bound up the pedals and I've came real close to crashing. Bike shop hasn't been helpful in resolving this.
I live in central kentucky, which is quite hilly, and the biggest hill of my trek is the ride to the bike trail. Right out my door starts two big hills before I get to the bike trail. Doing this without being warmed up is brutal, and so is having it has the final leg of my journey. When I did the trip yesterday, my heart rate his 193 going up it on the return.

I like to ride with my partner, and he doesn't like to ride to the bike trail because it's a 2 lane (both directions) road that everyone goes 60-65 mph on. There is a bike lane but it has debris in it all the time and lots of turn lanes crossing over it. He wants to drive a car to start of the bike trail and go from there, which is a hassle.

I ride for fitness and for fun. I work from home, I have a desk job, I don't need to commute anywhere on a bike, but I do really enjoy riding. I was thinking if I had an ebike I would be more apt to ride more frequently and the hill starting and ending my journey wouldn't be such a big deal. We test rode the vado 3.0 and vado 3.0 SL and loved them both. My partner says he'd be okay riding the regular road with the ebike, which also makes me think we'd be more likely to ride.

I'm considering the Vado 5.0 for these reasons:
  • Plenty of power, you can really feel the stronger motor over the SL
  • Envolio automatic cvt seems like it'd be really nice to have
  • The garmin radar would be really nice for me, I'm not the best at balancing, and turning around to check my six is hard to do well before I get wobbly
  • Belt drive and IGH seems like it'd be really nice for someone not the most mechanically inclined. Plus no chain grease on pants
  • Shocks felt nice
Reasons I think it wouldn't be the best
  • Might be too much power to get good exercise
  • Too heavy to use without power
  • Envolio on the 3.0 didn't seem to have much...range...in the gears. Max gear wasn't too far from min gear. May not be enough for kentucky
  • Always sold out
  • Expensive ($4k) but the 4 year no interest financing takes the sting out of that.

Reasons I was considering the SL
  • Weaker motor, but probably enough to make those hills feel less challenging
  • Feels more like a bike and less a bike/moped hybrid
  • Feels like I'd get more of a workout on this
  • In stock
  • Gearing seems to have enough range
Reasons for not considering the SL
  • Expensive ($4k) but the 4 year no interest financing takes the sting out of that
  • Weaker motor might not be enough

One last strike, potentially, against both e-bikes. If the hills are my primary reasons for getting an ebike, and I buying an ebike for a reason that will go away once I get a bit more in shape? I could save a boatload of cash by just buying a decent non-ebike to replace my current starter bike. Maybe me, the motor, just needs some improvements.

Would love to hear your thoughts
Likes For malfist:
Old 07-31-23, 09:32 AM
poiuyt

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
To have both a regular and electric bike (same segment as the Vado, but much lighter - in terms of weight, it is between the Vado and Vado SL and my non-electric is an upgraded hybrid with front suspension), a few thoughts:
- If you bike to work-out and your heart rate is reaching 193, the point I'd recommend to improve is indeed "to learn your pace" and start slowly (although it may be hard if the hills at the start of your ride are double-digit in percents).
- Work-outs can be as hard with the electric bike, but are different. With the e-bike, it can be harder on average, but more sustained (more constant around an average, in terms of BPM). A powerful e-bike gives you the option to lower the assistance, so you "can" have a workout, but I find such workout to be less fun: part of the fun is linked to speed, and an heavy comfy e-bike removes the impression of speed by being comfy and once the cut out speed is reached, it becomes suddenly "too hard" (especially with the US 20mph limit — increased rolling resistance and aerodynamics) - that wouldn't be the case with the Vado SL. But at least the e-bike gives you the choice: if you want to enjoy a ride just to be in the great outdoors, you can do it.
- I shortlisted the Vado SL when shopping for the e-bike as well, the reasons to go for the "heavy powerful" are linked to utility cycling: commute in traffic and groceries. In that case, more raw power is appreciated. The SL would be a better choice for long fast rides, but it was not my use case. Note that utility cycling (and then rack, fenders and lights) was part of my requirements, but for pure leisure rides, for the same budget, something like the Canyon Grail:On would be a better choice, at least for my use (but there's currently nothing like the Grail:On - gravel bike, a bit heavier than the Vado SL, but with the power of the Vado).
- Focus on the bike is one thing, but your environment is another one: where do plan to ride: if it's mostly on tarmac/nice gravel, the Vado SL has an edge. But if surfaces are a bit too rough, the "heavy and comfy" has one.
- If I could only have one bike: if it's for work-out, I'd keep the non electric: if riding alone it doesn't matter so much to be a bit slower, and if riding in groups, it's still easier to find riding buddies on non-electric bikes. When riding in group, it's important to be have a similar enough bike, and electric and non-electric don't mix well - the e-bike is faster uphill, but slower in other cases. But if it involves utility or urban riding, the electric one would be my preferred choice though.
- Having the two has an advantage: when friends are coming, they can have the electric and still have fun even if they are not trained cyclists.

Last edited by poiuyt; 07-31-23 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-31-23, 09:55 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
First, the Altus, while low end, is an extremely functional group. I've had an 8-speed on my DIY e-MTB for eight years riding severe terrain, and it functions perfectly. If they can't get it to work at your local bike shop, look up Sheldon Brown and see if you can adjust it. Perhaps the individuals in the "bicycle mechanics" section can assist if you provide picture(s). However, if that's not an option, I think it's a guarantee that you would enjoy the lighter e bike, but it wouldn't hurt to test ride the hill first. Whatever you do don't purchase a $1000 or so behemoth to "try out" "e". It won't give you any information except they can't be pedaled effectively and are for drivers not riders.
Old 07-31-23, 10:04 AM
malfist

I actually threw the map into onthegomap to see grades. It's actually 1.7 miles to the bike trail, I always thought it was shorter. Average grade is a bit deceptive because it's up and down two big hills. Looks like the grade is 6-11% any time you're going up and reverse when you're going down. There's a small section of 2% grade.

Given that I can get a good non-ebike for a lot less than a good ebike, I may listen to your last point and get a non-ebike, and maybe get an ebike next year.

Thank you for your advice
Likes For malfist:
Old 07-31-23, 01:37 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
  1. It sounds like your current mBike just needs a tune-up. No matter what you decide to do with the eBike, go and have it properly tuned up. Maybe do that as a first step and re-evaluate whether you need an eBike?
  2. For a first eBike, I don't think I'd go with a Specialized. If you decide it's not for you and you get in better shape, that would have been an expensive experiment. Specific to Specialized, I don't like the combination of a mid drive motor with an internal geared hub. All the extra torque provided by the mid drive motor is going into the weaker internal gears. It won't last. It is not really an issue with a mechanical bike, but once you start tripling the power applied to those little gears, it becomes questionable. I've seen some complaints too, which Specialized doesn't publish in their user reviews. That's unacceptable in a $4k eBike. It's not even acceptable in a $1k ebike.
  3. In my experience (5 eBikes, all different brands, over the last year) Aventon is a good middle ground. They cost half or less what a Specialized does, but are good quality. You can spend less, but (except for Lectric) will get noticeably less quality too. How about one of their Pace500 models? It has their stronger motor for better climbing. They have hub motor drives, so won't be as torquey climbing the hills as a mid drive, but will be a LOT more than you're providing on your mechanical bike.
  4. Whether you're going 10 or 20, neither one is going to make you safer around traffic going 60, so you can throw that right out the window, for justification.
  5. I DO think you would ride more an get more exercise in your situation on an eBike. Carefully navigate that first section of dangerous road and hills and enjoy the ride.
  6. Since you are the type of person who values exercise, I don't think you will lack exercise on an eBike. You can get as little or as much exercise as you want, with an eBike. You have the option to not arrive at your destination sweaty.
A great value in eBikes right now is the previous generation Lectric XP 2.0. They're on blowout for $800 ea. and they have some good promotions. I don't know if you need the folding feature or knobby tires, but you could get one each for you and your partner for $1600 and they are good quality and from a US-based company that is known for good customer service. They are hub drive, but have 7 or 8 speeds, so you can really help with climbing the hills if you want. Good quality, but not fancy components. Nice accessories. You don't commute on a bike now, but you might find yourself running errands if you get one with a rack and some luggage. I just LOVE my eBike for commuting, shopping and other errands.
Old 07-31-23, 01:59 PM
malfist

This is my current bike: Breezer Bikes | 2014 Greenway | Bike Archives

I'll take it to a local bikeshop here, the one I bought it from is out of business. This other place has been in business over 50 years, maybe they'll be able to fix it's shifting. I'm handy around the house, but when it comes to mechanical stuff, that's a bit out of my wheelhouse.

I think the consensus seems to be use manual bike for now, or buy a ebike that's less expensive.

Smaug1 I have considered a grocery run, the grocery story I go to is only about 4 miles away, but there aren't bike lanes that direction for any of the route, and I'm near a lot of factories so there's a lot of semi travel, that concerns me. If I bought a $4k ebike, I'd probably be too concerned about it being stolen to do a grocery run, though the store does do curb side pickup. One the plus side, the elevation change in that direction is only 100 feet over those 4 miles. Pretty flat.
Something I'll have to keep in mind.

Last edited by malfist; 07-31-23 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-31-23, 10:45 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Look at Sheldon Brown or go to YouTube. Derailleurs are pretty simple to adjust once you read about them, and that's an excellent bike IMO.
Old 08-06-23, 02:21 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Interesting as my wife and I were looking into the same bikes for our first time e-bike purchase. Have been cycling for the past 51 years and enjoy staying as fit as possible at both our ages and health issues. We currently own and ride both a Canyon Roadlite 9 ltd and a Litespeed Cherohala City set up as all around bikes for RV travels. After much research we discided to purchase a couple of .velotric T1 ST bikes. They are class 1 like the specialized. In fact they seem to be very similar in build. However, currently they are on sale for $999.99. Take a look at some of the reviews. They seem to be quite a value for the cost. Will report on them once we get home and set them up (currently on or annual RV trip to the North East). https://www.velotricbike.com/product...41729524039863
Old 08-06-23, 06:55 PM
malfist

So after much deliberation with my partner and doing our route multiple times, we both decided that the hills weren't as bad as we remembered and wanted to rule out ebikes.

I took the bike for a tune up and the LBS said they couldn't solve the shifting problem so I'm now the proud owner of a Cannondale synapse 105!

They set the limit screws for the front derailleur to keep it from shifting and the bike has been donated to a charity bike shop that's local. Hopefully someone gets some good use out of it!

Thanks everyone for your advice and input, it was really helpful for making our decision
Likes For malfist: