Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Has demand dropped?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Has demand dropped?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-23, 07:20 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Tangential to the current discussion, I suppose, but I wonder how a 50-year-old carbon fiber frame would hold up against a 50-year-old steel frame…?
A mute point considering the C&V community participating here will either be 6 feet under at worst or using a walker at best 50 years from today. Much like the demand for penny farthing bikes today no one will really care how they ride.
Old 09-01-23, 07:22 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Tangential to the current discussion, I suppose, but I wonder how a 50-year-old carbon fiber frame would hold up against a 50-year-old steel frame…?
A mute point considering the C&V community participating here will either be 6 feet under at worst or using a walker at best 50 years from today. Much like the demand for penny farthing bikes today no one will really care how they ride.
Old 09-01-23, 07:35 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Considering the first mass market ones came out in the late-'80s, we have only 15 more years until we answer that question. Thankfully many of those early ones are built pretty sturdily. How the bonds hold up will be another question to have answered. The ones that were kept inside away from large temperature and humidity fluctuations (impacts, too) will obviously fare the best. Anything made today, 50 years from now...don't know about that. The top spec stuff will be fragile like it is today, so best skip an older Madone 6.9 SSL and get a 5.2 (talking 2009 or so here). Same feel, just more beef.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 09-01-23, 07:48 PM
ppg677

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Endurace 7 CF Di2, 1982 Trek 957 (retro), 80s Trek 710 (retro), 1995 Trek 930 MTB (singlespeed), Surly LHT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by friendofpugs
First off, a hearty "Thanks!" for starting this topic, as it's something I've been wondering about myself. I stumbled into C&V about six years ago, and it didn't take long to discover that parting out bikes was more profitable than rehabbing them locally. Was I always into it for the money? No, but I'm a stay-at-home parent and selling on Ebay let me contribute to the household income, and made my wife happy with not having strangers come to the house to test ride bikes, etc. Plus I got to sample a lot of neat bikes for myself.

Anyways, this year my sales are down a solid 30% compared to last year, it's like a switch got flipped and demand dissipated, it was pretty abrupt. The good stuff still sells - Campy, Dura-Ace, Superbe - but at lower prices than in the past. The decent, mid-level stuff (Ultegra/105/Rival) just sits or you give it away for cheap. Anything below that, forgetaboutit. BMX is still crazy, if you can find it (though Old School has shifted to Mid-School), and vintage lugged mountain does well too, though mostly to fuel the BMX guys. Road bikes are down, unless it's top shelf stuff. Touring bike frames will eventually sell, but not like they have in the past.

I live in Wisconsin - Trekland - and I've seen decent vintage steel Treks just sit at prices that would've been snatched up in years past. I don't buy those great deals for $50-150 because I can't make anything on them parting them out, whereas before I would buy whatever I could to stuff my shed full of bikes to part out over our long winter. Now, my shed is empty. I've become much more picky about buying anything vintage, and I've been trying to buy newer stuff, but it's more expensive and the margins aren't like it was on the old stuff before. It seems like there's a strong demand for disc/tubeless bikes, and as such there are a ton of great, even high end, rim brake offerings that languish on the market. I find ok deals on CL but more on Marketplace.

As has already been stated, I think the original target demographic is aging out the market and switching to eBikes, if they are riding at all. By and large, the younger folks don't want rim brake, down tube shifters, quill stems regardless of tire clearance - they'd rather spend a little more and get a brand new (gravel) specimen. As a consequence, they don't need parts to upgrade or repair their vintage ride because they don't have one. I think the segment of mature "active" buyers who still ride and care about C&V stuff may still upgrade and repair their bikes, but you lot are pretty cheap because you can afford to be patient. You'll make your crazy lowball Best Offers and I'll probably accept it!

Personally, I love the aesthetic of vintage road bikes but I don't ride them much anymore myself as I don't ride on the road all that often. When I do, I have a Salsa Vaya with a very upright position that I prefer. I've mostly switched to mountain biking and am having a blast riding through the woods on my Surly fat tire bike.

Be good, have fun, and ride what you like - whatever it is - but just keep riding as long as you are able.
Yup I think you nailed it. Also in Trekland :-)

I'm the OP and have been riding vintage Trek bikes for a decade now. My primary road bike was a lugged steel Trek frame with a modern Campagnolo groupset. Been riding that for 7 years after discovering how much better I liked it than a 2008 carbon fiber road bike that I started with.

I significantly upped my riding this summer. On a whim, I took a friend's modern Domane out for a ride. It felt nice. It felt different. It felt comfy with those 30mm tires yet still fast. It's been awhile since I've bought myself a toy of any kind, so in a whim I got myself a new road bike. Electronic shifting, disc brakes, wide 30mm tires, carbon fiber. I decided to go "all in" on modern. Why not.
​​​​
it doesn't make me any faster. I know that because I go all out on the same route many times a week and my times are pretty consistent. The new bike is about the same speed as my vintage steel frame. Both feel good. But a new toy is a new toy. I'm not selling my steel framed retro roadie. And we will see if I go back to it at some point .

In any case I have too many bikes in my garage and trying to move a couple. They're not moving. At all. Even with students moving into campus. Oh well...I guess I'll keep them in my attic.
Likes For ppg677:
Old 09-02-23, 08:24 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by tmnguuyen
A bit of a topic drift but somewhat related to demand....

I'm looking at a lugged Specialized Stumpjumper with a replaced fork but everything else is original and from the photos, it looks very clean. The other one is an all original RB-1 with Ritchey fork and crank. Both are my size.

Stumpjumper is $250
MB-1 may be $400

I may end up with both against better judgements because i have bikes that i want to unload and it is not going well. What do you guys think about those prices in light of the drop in demand?

Thanks
Either you have room for them or you're willing to settle for little money on the ones you let go.
Old 09-02-23, 08:31 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Took forever to sell a Colnago Super and a Sannino. I'm going to try to sell one Masi but my expectations are pretty low. Life in modern times
Old 09-02-23, 10:56 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
I came home with a new bike yesterday and my wife won't let me lower the price on two bikes that I have listed. Crazy.
Old 09-02-23, 11:20 AM
Sedgemop 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10 '78 Motobecane Le Champion '83 Motobecane Grand Jubile '85 Trek 830 '88 Merckx Team ADR Corsa Extra

Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 1,214 Times in 651 Posts
A bit of a topic drift but somewhat related to demand....

I'm looking at a lugged Specialized Stumpjumper with a replaced fork but everything else is original and from the photos, it looks very clean. The other one is an all original RB-1 with Ritchey fork and crank. Both are my size.

Stumpjumper is $250
MB-1 may be $400

I may end up with both against better judgements because i have bikes that i want to unload and it is not going well. What do you guys think about those prices in light of the drop in demand?

Thanks
High-end vintage mountain bikes are one of the few still holding/increasing in value. They appeal more to the Gen Xer's who are still buying bikes out of reach in their youth. Also, they make great gravel bikes. If the Bridgestone is in great condition, I'd consider it at $400, but might offer $350. Personally, I'd pass on the Stumpjumper with the replacement fork. Original ones in good condition and not crazily priced are out there if you're patient.
Old 09-02-23, 12:00 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
Yes, demand has dropped but personally, doesn't affect me and could care less.

A funny thing crossed my mind just a few weeks ago. Fortunately have plenty of very nice classics yet sort of neglected riding a 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus. A prior buyer of another bike called me and asked about it. He remembered it well from over three years ago and then offered a VERY good sum plus cost of shipping.

A few days went by and decided to uncover it, didn't even need a dusting, though only air up the 700×32c tires. Rode it all day, detour for lunch, easy going 60 miler. Had forgotten how terrific and beautiful this bike really is. The paint and graphics are subtle classy, never going out of style. Choice quality all metal Suntour components, geared for anything. Brake setup and function with mechanical bliss. A stranger at the past office complimented it.

Considering I would have to fuss and partially dismantle and box it for shipping was secondary, called him back and said "forget about it".
Old 09-02-23, 12:31 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I came home with a new bike yesterday and my wife won't let me lower the price on two bikes that I have listed. Crazy.
she is a keeper.
Old 09-02-23, 03:50 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
demographics is going the wrong way.
But, this year will see the highest number of guys retiring ever.
Semi retired here at this point.

I'll be down to 2-3 bikes by spring.

Major pain selling bikes locally, but most are gone. I'll start posting parts for sale this fall.

Riding more this year than the last three years combined.

Truthfully, I need the space to build fly rods.

My friends seem to like them.
Likes For gomango:
Old 09-02-23, 04:54 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Took forever to sell a Colnago Super and a Sannino. I'm going to try to sell one Masi but my expectations are pretty low. Life in modern times
as always, year, size and condition matter.
Old 09-02-23, 08:11 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 1,410 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Semi retired here at this point.

I'll be down to 2-3 bikes by spring.

Major pain selling bikes locally, but most are gone. I'll start posting parts for sale this fall.

Riding more this year than the last three years combined.

Truthfully, I need the space to build fly rods.

My friends seem to like them.

Wow! Out of all the ultra high class bikes that you have had over the years, what did you end up keeping?

Old 09-02-23, 08:19 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
Well if prices are dropping, I sure wish word would get out to the people posting bikes on facebook around here. There was a Hercules for $50 I probably would have bought, but a local flipper bought it, cleaned the dust off and resisted it for $150. It didn't move so he bumped it to $180.

Last edited by Chuck M; 09-02-23 at 09:28 PM.
Likes For Chuck M:
Old 09-02-23, 09:46 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts
E-bike is killing the CV market. Check out the photo below - not quite clear since I took the photo in a moving train but even the surfer dudes are riding e-bikes.

Old 09-02-23, 10:49 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Funny, I see so many people with ebikes but I don't actually know anyone directly who owns one. It certainly is amazing how they've taken the world by storm. I hope to see it translate into fewer automobiles used for transit.
Old 09-03-23, 03:45 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 911 Times in 383 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
Funny, I see so many people with ebikes but I don't actually know anyone directly who owns one. It certainly is amazing how they've taken the world by storm. I hope to see it translate into fewer automobiles used for transit.
I have to disagree with you. This is from a cyclist's point of view. I've had more near accidents with the E-holes in the past year than I've had with automobiles in the 50+ years I've been riding. It is totally ridiculous around here. Throw in the people riding the gas-powered "motorcycles" with no license, registration or insurance, it's getting dangerous.

Last edited by gearbasher; 09-03-23 at 04:08 AM.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 09-03-23, 04:52 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Next thing will be to ban all unregistered and unlicenced "vehicles" from the public roads. Bicycles included....

Dystopian? Yes. Without precedent? No.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-24237390
Old 09-03-23, 09:08 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
as always, year, size and condition matter.
Charlie don't got no junk
Old 09-03-23, 09:11 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
Charlie don't got no junk
‘always year size and possibly model effect value.
Old 09-03-23, 09:26 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Wow! Out of all the ultra high class bikes that you have had over the years, what did you end up keeping?
Heh thanks for the mention.

Yes, I have owned my fair share.

I think I can survive the short term with my Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, my John Hollands and my Yeti SB165.

I wish I could get a little more tire on the Hollands, but that ELOS frame is all I really need.

Everything else is sold or will be this fall including framesets and parts.

If a Curt Goodrich shows up some day in my size I would be very hard pressed to say no.

BTW My new sweet tooth is building up old TREK and Specialized MTBs and gifting them to friends for city cruiser use.

I just finished a MB1 for my neighbor's son who is off to University. Hopefully it doesn't get ripped off the first week there.
Old 09-03-23, 10:36 AM
repechage

I think I can survive the short term with my Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, my John Hollands and my Yeti SB165.

I wish I could get a little more tire on the Hollands, but that ELOS frame is all I really need.

If a Curt Goodrich shows up some day in my size I would be very hard pressed to say no.

BTW My new sweet tooth is building up old TREK and Specialized MTBs and gifting them to friends for city cruiser use.

I just finished a MB1 for my neighbor's son who is off to University. Hopefully it doesn't get ripped off the first week there.
I have supplied bikes for University. Unfortunately all were stolen, even with a warning there is just not enough awareness or apprehension that they would be stolen.
‘if they had invested money or sweat equity in them, perhaps it would have turned out differently.
one asked for a replacement. I advised that they buy one and I will help effect a repair with their help.
”that is too much work!” The young are not like you and me.
Likes For repechage:
Old 09-03-23, 10:37 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,555 Times in 1,410 Posts

Very nice gesture and quite a lovely thing you have going on to build up those old MTBs. Honestly, the 90s rigid bikes, as a bike class, were probably the most reliable bikes ever made. A simply 4130 frame and fork, trigger or grip shifts, and bam. Done. Love it. And it reminds me of Maslow, when he revisited his hierarchy of needs, and put in a view of other's needs as the highest form of living. You are living out the bike version of that, and so much kudos to you!

That's cool that you mention the Hollands. Late last year, a Hollands (of Maryland) showed up at one of the local co-ops. It was $450-ish, which given the parts buildout on it (upright city cruiser mish mash) was a little much for me at the time, but! When I looked them up, I found the exact bike (as in, that very same one) here on the forums, a pearl blue 57-58cm bike, built out of Reynolds 708. I went a few more times, and one of the times they actually listed it higher (they have a habit of pricing their 'gone through' bikes very high), but eventually someone nabbed it. I wonder how it would have ridden. Probably great. It was in a bit worse shape than the pictures of it showed when posted on this forum years ago. Somewhere I have pictures of it - I posted a few of them to the 'Are you looking for one of these?' thread.

Thanks for sharing, I appreciate it!

Old 09-03-23, 11:00 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 648 Posts
I have looked around me in my town but most of people ride traditional bikes. A lot of road bikes even though some with sram etap or di2 but for the rest mountain bikes or city bikes. An Ebike is a bad bike, it is not very manoeuvrable,it is heavy and the brakes are not well optimized for optimal braking plus it is expensive.
Old 09-03-23, 12:08 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,387 Times in 3,672 Posts
E-bike is killing the CV market. Check out the photo below - not quite clear since I took the photo in a moving train but even the surfer dudes are riding e-bikes.

Originally Posted by gearbasher
I have to disagree with you. This is from a cyclist's point of view. I've had more near accidents with the E-holes in the past year than I've had with automobiles in the 50+ years I've been riding. It is totally ridiculous around here. Throw in the people riding the gas-powered "motorcycles" with no license, registration or insurance, it's getting dangerous.
Originally Posted by bark_eater
Next thing will be to ban all unregistered and unlicenced "vehicles" from the public roads. Bicycles included....

Dystopian? Yes. Without precedent? No.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-24237390
Originally Posted by georges1
I have looked around me in my town but most of people ride traditional bikes. A lot of road bikes even though some with sram etap or di2 but for the rest mountain bikes or city bikes. An Ebike is a bad bike, it is not very manoeuvrable,it is heavy and the brakes are not well optimized for optimal braking plus it is expensive.
The cost savings of no car are astronomical.

Read a Readers Digest article many years ago.

The average person spends 40% of their life's earnings on personal transportation if they choose to drive a car, I would suspect it may be more now.

More than housing, healthcare or education, by far in many cases.

And no, I'm certainly not advocating efbikes per se but the draw for noncycling folks can be huge for the savings, especially if you lose your license or insurance.

Last edited by merziac; 09-03-23 at 12:14 PM.
Likes For merziac:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.