Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Taking Care Of Yourself - I Didn’t But I Lived To Tell The Tale!

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Taking Care Of Yourself - I Didn’t But I Lived To Tell The Tale!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-24, 08:37 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 81 Posts
At 61 I decided to stop "sending it". The smallest of injuries take forever to heal. I often dismount now verses "going for the gusto".....
Old 01-08-24, 08:53 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
^^ agreed. And I don't want to traumatize my family any more after last summer's accident.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 01-08-24, 06:17 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
oof. That was tough to read. You have an amazing positive attitude.
I am seven months out from an otb faceplant that caused whiplash, concussion and three days of memory loss, among other problems. I'm wondering how long it will take me to fully recover. I'm 59.
I'm almost 1.5 years from 2nd hit by a wild hog and still feeling it plus a 2011 paceline crash resulting in fracture of C6 with slippage/compression of C5-C6-C7 and from a recent mishap a few months ago having neck issues again.

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
............. I don't want to traumatize my family any more after last summer's accident.
250+lb piggy #2 T-boned me into my left leg on 7/26/2022 at 3:04AM. Sheriff stopped after driving by and seeing my recumbent down and me not doing well tried calling wife numerous times with no answer so they sent another Sheriff to the house and he had to pound on front door until she answered. She opened the door and straight up asked what hospital is he in knowing that I'd be in ER or morgue.
Old 01-11-24, 07:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by bruised
In response to one of the questions, I have no idea how I ended up going over the bars, which is one of the most disconcerting things about the whole experience and one of the reasons I ended up being so timid about going back out on the trails.
A few days after the crash I went back out and there was enough evidence left to reconstruct what happened but nothing to show for the actual cause. No rock, no root, no nothing.
My advice on this part, let it go. You will never know, and thinking about it won't do you any good.

How do I know? (Apologies in advance to those who have heard this story before.)

During the holiday season of 2022, I somehow contracted sepsis and didn't realize it. I ended up passing out on my kitchen floor, hitting my head and suffering a brain bleed and a few minor strokes. I am likely only alive today because the observant neighbors to the east of me (I live in an attached rowhome.) noticed the back door to my deck open for an extended period of times and the car running in and out of the house. They also noticed that the only light on in my house was tin the bathroom. They went to the neighbors on the west side of me. The wife of that couple has the combination to my key lock box from cat sitting. They conducted a welfare check and found me on the kitchen floor at 7 p.m. on New Year's Eve. Based on what had been heard in the middle of the night, it's believed that I had been there for well over 12 hrs. The sepsis had infected my heart. One doctor said if I had been found much later there probably would have not been much they could have done for me.

Ended up having to have my mitral valve and part of my ascending aorta replaced. Spent a month in the hospital and two months in a crappy rehab place. I didn't walk for over two months and was fed slurry through a tube in my stomach until March 7th. Finally made it home at the end of March. Had to use a stairlift and a walker to get around. Graduated to a cane, which I pretty much ditched in early July. Went back to work at the beginning of June.

It's been a very slow recovery, IMO' although one doctor friend who came to see me during the 4 days I was unconscious and on a ventilator disagrees. I think part of that is due to me having to drive to work these days. I have to get ip very early so I can leave early to get home to find parking. I am so tired by the end of the day that I don't want to do much. Now that winter is here, getting out for walks in harder, but I still try to do so on the weekends. Rode a total of 44 miles in 2023. One ride of 12 miles and another of 32 miles. Planning on retiring at the end of March and getting in some real recovery work.

In any event, I used to constantly wonder how I got sick and how I ended up on the kitchen floor. What happened between Friday morning and Sunday night when I was found? What the hell was I wearing when I was found? (I was revived with Narcan administered by an EMT.) I could not find any clothing items missing that I would have been wearing at that time of year. Was I naked? Did I have on just underwear, which is something I would not have missed? I could ask my neighbors for more detail, but I came to the conclusion that it would do no good. What happened happened. More knowledge won't change that.

So...The moral of the story is...Never underestimate the value of a cat.
Old 02-05-24, 12:40 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
And we ride for the…health benefits?