Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your #1, and why

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your #1, and why

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-24, 11:31 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 331 Posts
I'm on the wrong part of the bell curve as a collector, a rider, and a photographer compared to most folks in the C&V forum. I'm probably on the right part of the bell curve as to age in this forum, but only by a couple of years.

I have a deep philosophical hatred for the concept of favorites - it's a question you ask a four-year old because you can't have an adult conversation. But I finally clicked on this thread and saw that Adventure Man brought the discussion into the adult realm by framing it in terms of thinning the herd as we all get older, so here I go.

Most comfortable is probably a 1979 Trek 710 that I got from the co-op. It has a lot of patina but I love that metallic dark blue so I stripped it, scrubbed off the rust, and clear coated it, then mostly put the parts back on it that the original owner had donated it with. I think I reduced the chain ring size a little because I'm a wimp. I also have a 1982 710 in better shape. It's nice but not quite the same as the older one.

The one I get the most compliments on is kind of a joke build of an awesome late 1980s Montagner racing bike frame. I'm not a racer so I built it with stem shifters and turkey levers for city riding. Bike people and non-bike people alike say "nice bike" when I ride this. Well, OK, bike people say "nice frame."

Last one to get sold, even though I don't ride it as much as some others, is probably the 1983 Paramount Elite. This is the only one that I would consider putting in a show for collectors to look at.

I just did a 650b conversion on my 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, but I don't have a picture of the build yet. I have several older bikes but they're not high end and probably do not make it into the low single digit number of bikes I would keep if I had to move into a senior apartment.

Last edited by albrt; 02-04-24 at 11:50 PM.
Likes For albrt:
Old 02-05-24, 03:32 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
I'm not sure the concept of "#1" makes complete sense - what are you going to ride if you need to touch up the paint or adjust something ?
So you can only have a #1 if there's an understudy, which also deserves some of the credit.

In 1983 I bought a Holdsworth Avanti brand new (1982 - only year it was 531), 38 years later I got a new (1982) one.
Last year it got moved to best supporting actor after I finally found a 'fishtail lug' Holdsworth Cyclone (1961).
If I did bicycle shows this is the one I would enter.

Likes For Aardwolf:
Old 02-05-24, 05:38 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Originally Posted by albrt
I'm on the wrong part of the bell curve as a collector, a rider, and a photographer compared to most folks in the C&V forum. I'm probably on the right part of the bell curve as to age in this forum, but only by a couple of years.

I have a deep philosophical hatred for the concept of favorites - it's a question you ask a four-year old because you can't have an adult conversation. But I finally clicked on this thread and saw that Adventure Man brought the discussion into the adult realm by framing it in terms of thinning the herd as we all get older, so here I go.

Most comfortable is probably a 1979 Trek 710 that I got from the co-op. It has a lot of patina but I love that metallic dark blue so I stripped it, scrubbed off the rust, and clear coated it, then mostly put the parts back on it that the original owner had donated it with. I think I reduced the chain ring size a little because I'm a wimp. I also have a 1982 710 in better shape. It's nice but not quite the same as the older one.

The one I get the most compliments on is kind of a joke build of an awesome late 1980s Montagner racing bike frame. I'm not a racer so I built it with stem shifters and turkey levers for city riding. Bike people and non-bike people alike say "nice bike" when I ride this. Well, OK, bike people say "nice frame."

Last one to get sold, even though I don't ride it as much as some others, is probably the 1983 Paramount Elite. This is the only one that I would consider putting in a show for collectors to look at.

I just did a 650b conversion on my 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, but I don't have a picture of the build yet. I have several older bikes but they're not high end and probably do not make it into the low single digit number of bikes I would keep if I had to move into a senior apartment.
I don't think we can be on the wrong side of the bell curve, you"re doing just fine although you could step up your game a bit.

I was on a mission when I jumped back in 15 or so years ago so now I have many that I may never be able to let go.

Agree on the favorite question part but so many bikes, so many criteria, they all have their place or seem to.

Last edited by merziac; 02-05-24 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-05-24, 10:52 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I might be a bit in denial about which bike is my number 1. The bike I ride most often is my Specialized Sequoia. It's a great bike -- comfortable, versatile, reliable, and fits just the way I want it to. The problem is, it's not sexy. I don't want it to be my number 1 bike.

In fact, last year the Sequoia wasn't the bike I rode most often. That's probably at least in part because of the denial. When I'm picking a bike, I sometimes pass over the Sequoia because I want to ride something more beautiful. I've got a lot of bikes in the stable, so none of them get a lot of miles in any given year. Last year I took my 1974 Masi on a credit card tour, and that trip alone put it past most of my other bikes in mileage, and as a result it was far and away my most ridden bike in 2022.

The Masi is undeniably worthy of being my number one. It looks great. It rides great. It has a prestigious reputation. I like it a lot. But it's still not the bike I'm most infatuated with. Until recently, the bike I was most infatuated with was my Stella SX-76.

That one is dead sexy and checks any other box I'd want to put on my list. It's maybe not as versatile as the Sequoia, but for most of my riding I don't really need versatility, and I have other bikes with specialized purposes like gravel riding or touring when I want to do that. So the Stella was my number one until late last fall when I stumbled across this Pinarello Super Record Special.

It was a Pinarello Gran Turismo in this same dazzling, rich, metallic red color that kicked off my addiction to C&V bikes about seven years ago, but it was too small for me. Ever since I had been looking for another bike that had this look. The new Pinarello Super Record Special fit the bill, and it has a few more chrome accents, which I love. It also feels just a bit more lively than the Stella. My infatuation for this bike may also be surpassed some day, but right now I'd say that the Pinarello is my number one.
It's been less than a year since I posted the above, and in spite of four options in my original post, a new bike has taken the top spot, at least in terms of how often I'm picking it. My most ridden bike of 2023, and the one I am currently most infatuated with, is my 1971 Mercian Vincitore.

Apart from anything else, it's becoming clear that my number one bike has a 3x9/10 Campagnolo gruppo, Crank Bros pedals, a Soma Highway One bar, a Specialized Phenom saddle, DT Swiss R460 rims, and tires with cream or tan sidewalls.
Old 02-05-24, 11:49 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by albrt
Whew!

I forgot about this thread. To be frank, you are not wrong. It sort of reminds me of that guy in the Lego movie, where he just likes everything that everyone else does - a complete lack of originality. You can sort of make the same argument here. What's the point of asking what other people like? Just to like it too?..because someone else does? What's even worse, it is even more apparent in other threads that I have started, like the 'votes are in: culmination of favorite rides of BF members' or some nonsense like that, or even 'the top 10 quintessential C&V bikes'. I don't know why, but a part of me was, and still is, fascinated with why some items (and in this case, bicycles) have a perception of value/quality over others...maybe its FOMO (fear of missing out) as in, 'Oooh, everyone else says its great, so it must be! I must get it and try it for myself!' I'd like to think I've grown since then. Maybe I've just regressed!

Well, God is not without a sense of humor, and it turns out that my favorite (to use that horrible word) bike is a complete steaming garbage pile, a waste of steel better served as gutter flashing (the Le Grande). And while it actually does ride pretty nice compared to a lot of bikes I've ridden, that has very little to do with why it's my favorite. I love parody, and find humor in strange places. I absolutely love seeing the double takes that happen when I show up to a respectable vintage gathering and single handedly take the whole thing down a couple of notches. I love seeing the surprise, the disdain, the shock, the admiration, all of it. Its a really fun thing to bring out into the light, because everyone's got an opinion, and its fun hearing what people think, especially those who seemingly don't approve.

So, while this thread is complete vanity, at least it as become a good excuse to look at pretty bikes

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 02-06-24, 11:45 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 267 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Tough. Very tough. Cannot isolate just one
I'm in this camp also.

I have quite a few C&V bikes, 1 Newish road bike, plus several Resto-mods. I really love each and every one or I wouldn't have them. But We're in Florida for the Winter. Could only bring 3 bikes due to all our luggage plus a dog & cat. Two were newly acquired last July, third is a vintage mountain bike. I had planned to bring a mountain bike + my Torelli and had pieced together a 2nd MotobecaneGrand Jubile' (so I could keep 1 in Oregon + always have 1 in Florida).

But in July two "must have" C&V bikes popped up. A 1973 Record Atala and a 1984 Masi GC. I got them, but renovating our new downsized home left little ride time, so I brought them to Florida along with an early 90's Gary Fisher Montare. This trio get all my attention. So for now they're my #1 bikes. Will take some pics. (edit) Took some pics but hit a wall when my new computer(with windows 11) Suddenly refused to recognize any of my Canon cameras for downloads (G10, 5D, 7D), it was working fine since early December. Did these with my phone.

1984 Masi Gran Criterium: Has had a repaint from original white + Daytona 9 speed group. New Brooks Saddle + Tires + MKS pedals by me.

1973 Record Atala Original owner could no longer ride it. He repainted from original white/red. New Brooks Saddle + Tires + MKS Pedals by me.

1991? Gary Fisher Montare. New tires by me, in process of replacing straight bar with a V.O. Porteur bar.
Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 02-08-24 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Edit Text + Try to add pics
Old 02-06-24, 07:43 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 982 Posts
This was a fun thread! A year plus later my number one is still my Mercian and my P-13 has managed to steal the number two slot. It’s so well-mannered and a pleasure to ride. Kinda good-looking too.

Likes For ascherer:
Old 02-07-24, 07:07 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts

Joo can’t pick a favorite either. However, he really likes his Look Hinault 753!
Likes For embankmentlb:
Old 02-12-24, 10:33 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,870 Times in 1,065 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Whew!

I forgot about this thread. To be frank, you are not wrong. It sort of reminds me of that guy in the Lego movie, where he just likes everything that everyone else does - a complete lack of originality. You can sort of make the same argument here. What's the point of asking what other people like? Just to like it too?..because someone else does? What's even worse, it is even more apparent in other threads that I have started, like the 'votes are in: culmination of favorite rides of BF members' or some nonsense like that, or even 'the top 10 quintessential C&V bikes'. I don't know why, but a part of me was, and still is, fascinated with why some items (and in this case, bicycles) have a perception of value/quality over others...maybe its FOMO (fear of missing out) as in, 'Oooh, everyone else says its great, so it must be! I must get it and try it for myself!' I'd like to think I've grown since then. Maybe I've just regressed!

Well, God is not without a sense of humor, and it turns out that my favorite (to use that horrible word) bike is a complete steaming garbage pile, a waste of steel better served as gutter flashing (the Le Grande). And while it actually does ride pretty nice compared to a lot of bikes I've ridden, that has very little to do with why it's my favorite. I love parody, and find humor in strange places. I absolutely love seeing the double takes that happen when I show up to a respectable vintage gathering and single handedly take the whole thing down a couple of notches. I love seeing the surprise, the disdain, the shock, the admiration, all of it. Its a really fun thing to bring out into the light, because everyone's got an opinion, and its fun hearing what people think, especially those who seemingly don't approve.

So, while this thread is complete vanity, at least it as become a good excuse to look at pretty bikes
That "steaming garbage pile" has become one of my favorite bikes on this forum for exactly the reasons you describe. I love the sarcasm and "inside joke" behind its build.

I think if you did the reverse? Ie put the low end "steaming pile of garbage" components from the Le Grande onto a Confente? I don't think that would work in the same way, and would prob generate negative emotions, at least in me. I thought of this when I posted a bike for sale in the eBay / CraigsList finds - "Are you looking for one of these!?" Part II that has possibly one of the lowest end 3 piece crank ever made? And and Shimano Light Action rear derailleur. It shouldn't have bugged me, but I guess I am a snob??
Likes For Rocket-Sauce:
Old 02-14-24, 08:22 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1304 Post(s)
Liked 1,912 Times in 1,142 Posts
I have been putting in time on my Ochsner made of lowly steel from Columbus, but it is a nice ride and handles well. I have it junked up from the Horror Build, but it still is riding like I want it to feel. Maybe just my way of riding what I have that feels good.
Kind of like AMCO's mind set with his Huffiente. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 02-14-24, 09:28 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
I'm down to a few bikes, mostly off-road.
Hell, I don’t even like to drive off road!
Old 02-14-24, 11:10 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
The bike that rides so great and that I can just stare at for hours as I also find it so beautiful is my late 70s Ritchey Palo Alto Tandem…

…and then after owning for a while I learned of its background, having been owned originally by noted cycling scribe and all around cyclist, the late Owen Mulholland, its place in my stable only became more elevated…

Now if I could get Joe Breeze and Otis Guy help me get a same side drive system back on it like Owen had and as they had on their contemporaneous Ritchey tandem (the Anchor Steamer), it would be the cat’s meow…

Picture above is the Anchor Steamer as displayed at the Marin Museum of Bicycling…first time I saw my Ritchey it was hanging in about this same location and it was love at first sight.

Last edited by Markeologist; 02-14-24 at 11:17 PM.
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 02-14-24, 11:17 PM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 57 Posts
I am not sure if my Roberts Roughstuff is classed as vintage as it is 2008 but is a model made since the late 1980s or early 90s, I was after an all round expedition bike that would do anything and go anywhere, at the time I had a BMW GS motorcycle and wanted the bicycle equivalent and after looking at other options went with a full bespoke build from Roberts. After meeting some overland cyclists in Africa knew I wanted a Rohloff hub and off road touring experience told me I wanted front suspension which raised eyebrows in Croydon but the customer is always right, it has proved a good decision and is possibly the only Roughstuff they made with them fitted.
Disc brakes to prevent rim wear in the dirt and lots of high quality UK made components from Hope, USE, Middleburn and Brooks have proved durable over the 10,000 or so miles it has done so far a lot of that off road. The riding position is for comfort on a long day with a good view of the countryside which is far more important to me than going fast, although I have still done 100 miles in a day on it on gravel, at the time I had never heard of Geoff Apps and his Cleland Range Rider which is possibly the world's first bike built specifically for off road touring but it has a very similar riding position.
I could of had a Thorn Sterling which is very similar and as an off the peg cheaper but am glad I paid the extra for exactly what I wanted, I did pick up a Sterling frameset a couple of years ago and it has a couple of irritating things I do not like about it.

Likes For Small cog:
Old 02-19-24, 12:23 PM
cleverbeefalo

Bikes: Panasonic DX 3000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tjfastback66
You all have really beautiful bicycles and I do admire them greatly.
I got this one off of Craig's for $45 in some sorry state of neglect. But when it came around after a deep cleaning and restoration - the bicycle quickly became an instant favorite to me.
1981 Univega Specialissima - Great Touring Bike - Currently my "Go To" bike.It really is a very smooth riding comfortable ride - not harsh like a racing bike. True Blue Touring imho...
I love the cable housing color choice on this!
Old 02-19-24, 12:33 PM
orbeamike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 39 Posts
Mid '80s off road touring bike. As I get older I have really come to appreciate the flat bar riding position for city rides.
Likes For orbeamike:
Old 03-02-24, 05:04 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Hell, I don’t even like to drive off road!
I sure do.
Can't wait to pick up the new Landcruiser 1958.
We have thousands of miles of gravel in northern Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Not to mention our summer jaunts to Montana, Idaho and Wyoming.
Gravel, fly fishing and taking pictures of wildlife is making me happy in retirement.
Old 03-03-24, 04:15 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 124 Posts
In the Mid 1980's, three Cinelli Supercorsa frames came into my local bikeshop and all my size. My favourite was red, followed by a white frame then a blue frame (shown here). Really, I fell in love with all three. I pressed my nose up against the bikeshop window most nights, after hours and just admired them. One by one they left the shop. I found out later that the red frame was stolen during a store break-in. The other two went to their new owners.

A year passed and I never forgot the frames as I wanted one, any one so much but my financial position wouldn't even allow me to enter the store and actually touch one of the frames. Then, wow, the blue frame turned-up again in the store. The blue frame had passed through two owners but had never been built-up. It was now a little cheaper and I made-up my mind that it wasn't going to get away again. I bought it.

This was going to be my 'forever bike' and the components I chose to fit to it were my idea of perfection. Here it is:

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to my future grave digger, "Sorry mate, but I just couldn't bare to be separated from my bike."

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 03-03-24 at 04:19 AM.
Likes For Gary Fountain:
Old 03-03-24, 11:44 AM
seagrade 
Making up the numbers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
In the Mid 1980's, three Cinelli Supercorsa frames came into my local bikeshop and all my size. My favourite was red, followed by a white frame then a blue frame (shown here). Really, I fell in love with all three. I pressed my nose up against the bikeshop window most nights, after hours and just admired them. One by one they left the shop. I found out later that the red frame was stolen during a store break-in. The other two went to their new owners.

A year passed and I never forgot the frames as I wanted one, any one so much but my financial position wouldn't even allow me to enter the store and actually touch one of the frames. Then, wow, the blue frame turned-up again in the store. The blue frame had passed through two owners but had never been built-up. It was now a little cheaper and I made-up my mind that it wasn't going to get away again. I bought it.

This was going to be my 'forever bike' and the components I chose to fit to it were my idea of perfection. Here it is:
Stunning vintage racing bicycle. There is a strong correlation between large flange 28h tubular wheels and fine bicycles. The last generation Super Record crank arms without fluting would be my choice too, distinctive and unusual.
Old 03-03-24, 11:59 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
well for me it is my Peugeot Prestige for what concerns road bikes because it is with this bike that I started racing back in 1996 and it is currently being upgraded with Dura Ace 7800 components

For mountain bikes, I will stick with my Kona Kilaeua from 1997 which due to its very agressive geometry is real blast to ride and also lightweight

It is followed by my Scapin another great mountain bike with a less agressive geometry but still a very responsive and lightweight frame

With the new road bike projects and the last MTB project that will be build , things might change
Old 04-28-24, 09:39 AM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 97 Posts
Gonna give this post a bump.

I also can't easily pick a no 1 bike. I love the ride of all my 531 framed bikes. I love the ride of my Columbus steel bikes as well. But I suppose if I pick the bikes I most get a kick out of, I could narrow it down to two:

Mercian Olympic I believe. Bike as refurbished with new cables and housing. It now has tan wall tires too.

1973 or so Peugeot AO-8, vastly modified, running 650b x 42 mm tires.

The Mercian not only has the wonderful ride of an English 531 frame, it has by far the most patina of all my bikes. I tried to clean it up but the paint itself seems stained. So I built it up with other beat up and scarred parts. It's just a hoot to ride.

The Peugeot . . . well, what can I say? It took me by surprise when I first tried it out with decent aluminum wheels, so I kept modifying and improving it bit by bit. It is definitely the most comfortable ride I have with its long wheelbase and fat tires, but it also perfectly reflects what I love about old French bikes.
Old 04-28-24, 10:05 AM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 288 Posts
I have 8 or 9 bikes at the moment. Vintage steel and aluminum bikes from the mid 1980's-early 2000's.
My #1 would probably be my 2003 KHS XC 504R. Plush ride on and off road, fits me well, good brakes, and just plain fun

Old 04-28-24, 11:27 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
I have looked at this thread in the past, but I couldn't really come up with a suitable answer. I reread the initial post and I think I have a better understanding of it now. My number one would be between my Fuji S12-S LTD and my Miyata 310, but for different reasons. Both have pleasant sport-touring geometry which suits my riding style and I can ride them all day long. I bought the Miyata brand new in 1984, so I have a sentimental attachment to it. I changed a couple things for personal comfort, but it's mostly the way it came from the bike shop. I bought the Fuji as a project a few years ago. I took it down to bare metal, then painted and built it back up myself. I'm really happy with how it turned out and I have received a lot of complements on it. I'm in the process of painting my FW Evans, and if it turns out as nice as the Fuji, I'll soon have a third bike vying for attention. I already know it rides nice. My other bikes don't have that kind of personal connection, either from longevity or sweat equity, so I could let them go and not lose any sleep.

1984 Miyata 310

1981 Fuji S12-S LTD

50 year old FW Evans