Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Off your bike due to illness or injury - Mentally devastated

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Off your bike due to illness or injury - Mentally devastated

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-24, 08:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18421 Post(s)
Liked 15,569 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
Again, the relationship between exercise and happy is real. That was a piss poor view to look at. Hopefully things are better.
Thanks. The place was close to my human support structure. Have ridden 120 miles this year despite a lot of crappy weather. Have a 5 day tour planned for 4/21. Longest day would be 50 miles fully loaded. Not sure if I’ll be ready, but I’m still shooting for it. If I don’t think I’m ready for the mileage with all my gear (3 days of thru riding) with day loop rides planned for 2 days.), I can always drive to the two overnight destinations and do day rides.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-24-24, 08:53 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
For me its one thing after another.

Makes me appreciate every ride I take no matter how small or insignificant...
Old 03-24-24, 09:55 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Guessing it’s Covid/long covid.
I never mentioned, thought it was not allowed for discussion here.
Old 03-24-24, 11:17 PM
NVFlinch 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 40 Posts
Bike addict here. Averaged 4,500 miles/year for the past 13 years,and last fall got hit by a van. Shattered pelvis, and in a walker for 6 weeks. After that, rehab was PT, walking, and a stationary bike. Took my first real ride on New Year's day (I wasn't supposed to !), and did all of 11 miles. Since then 620 miles total, over 180 PT sessions. I'm getting back, but man am I paranoid on the road though! Changes your perspective of what is important for sure.
Likes For NVFlinch:
Old 03-25-24, 12:25 AM
b88

Originally Posted by zandoval
For me its one thing after another.

Makes me appreciate every ride I take no matter how small or insignificant...
Thats my attitude right now. I got one 20 km ride in. That was almost a couple weeks ago. Full recovery may never happen so I’ll take whatever I can get.
Likes For b88:
Old 03-25-24, 03:21 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
I never mentioned, thought it was not allowed for discussion here.
I believe it’s ok to mention as long as you don’t get into anything controversial.

Clearly some people have a post-COVID syndrome and it’s frustrating for everyone involved.

Other than time and patience I don’t know if there is any “cure.”
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-25-24, 05:24 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
I went from 4800 miles per year to 10-20 miles per month due to repeated illnesses. Yesterday was a breakthrough ... I did a second ride in a week, and in fact, the day after the first ride of the month. (23 miles total.)

Just a long, slow recovery ahead ... no stress. After having my heart nearly explode 12 years ago, and coming back from that, I know that it is just a matter of keeping at it. The mental issue is the hardest .... like others, i try to appreciate what I can do and not stress over what I wish i could do or used to do.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-25-24, 05:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7350 Post(s)
Liked 2,475 Times in 1,438 Posts
I see a bright side to this topic. It's that some of us have such a passion for cycling that we will do it whenever we can. I've spent too much time off the bike (in various periods) that I don't realize how much I miss it when I'm off. The problem with that is that I don't crave it sufficiently. I'm finally ramping it up more than in recent years, and yes, I'm much happier. Now that I'm getting old, I'm learning about how important exercise is to long term health, so I'm figuring out what kinds of exercise to do besides cycling. I'm also working more and more cycling into my life, especially commuting. I'm already fairly good at riding in bad weather, though I truly don't enjoy it as much as when it's sunny and warm. I rode all through this winter with reduced miles.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-25-24, 06:17 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
At 48 my daily bike commuting and cycling was the therapy I craved, depended on and needed to get me through a stressful/depressing point in my life. Then a non-cycling injury kept me off the bike for a year. It was sudden and painful, with constant pain for 6 months which left me sleep deprived and in physical agony, and with no physical, mental or emotional outlet while I continued to show up to work to keep the business running.

Bad times.

Then I discovered and joined an improv comedy/theater troupe. It has been a life changer. Besides the short, funny "Whose Line is it Anyway" stuff we also do long format scenes and stories. In fact, I usually think of it as live, on-the-spot team story telling. What it teaches is the ability to positively contribute to a changing narrative full of surprise twists and turns. Plus it involves role-playing, which I also find therapeutic. And 14 years later I find I am better able to handle life. Like family medical emergencies, surprise career developments and work projects that go off the rails.

After 9 months off the bike, I was finally able to start walking for extended periods and began working on cardio. Then I got back on the bike, and after a few months had built my muscles back up to where I could ride to work and back. four or six months after that I could pedal up all the hills I used to without getting off and walking.

My suggestion for mental devastation is to find an improv class, club or troupe. Learning to play with uncertainty, and being able to get out of your own head space for a while did and does wonders for me.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 03-25-24, 08:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,492 Times in 4,189 Posts
I wasnt able to ride nearly as many miles last year as I had gotten used to over the prior 7 years and it was really frustrating.
Nothing nearly as severe as some examples mentioned here, but chronic neck pain with limited left/right mobility really reduced how much I rode last year.

Not knowing how the injury happened was frustrating. Not knowing what specifically was wrong(was going to a chiro and a PT multiple times a week over 3 months) was frustrating. The slow improvement was frustrating.
Being injured and not being able to do something you enjoy can mess with your outlook on life.
I threw myself into some other things to stay busy and productive, and to a degree it definitely helped.

My range of motion is back and there is pain only at the extreme ends of motion, so I am chalking it up to something I will just live with in some manner, moving forward.
I already have a bunch of extreme challenges in my head for when the weather clears up because I have to hold myself accountable or it is really easy to skip riding after it stopped being part of my weekly routine. Multiple gravel century rides, entry into some in-state gravel races I havent done before, those sorts of things.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-25-24, 08:51 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Had my L5 replaced November 20th and was able to start rehabbing on an E bike 5 weeks later. Did a century with the wife yesterday on my regular bike and it felt great! Not bad for 63 years old.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 03-25-24, 08:58 AM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
I had surgery and could not ride for about 6 months. Spent a lot of time on this forum passing the time until I could get back into riding.
Likes For WaveyGravey:
Old 03-25-24, 10:21 AM
George Mann

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RetroGlide iE

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
A severe groin injury, plus a recent near fatal heart attack has kept me off my bike for nearly a year now.
Old 03-25-24, 10:38 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
This was the view from my rehab bed for two months.

...a look at the bright side person would say, "At least you have a window".
Old 03-25-24, 11:04 AM
b88

Originally Posted by George Mann
A severe groin injury, plus a recent near fatal heart attack has kept me off my bike for nearly a year now.
I hope each day brings you closer to a speedy recovery.
Old 03-25-24, 02:12 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...a look at the bright side person would say, "At least you have a window".
Don't assess another man's mindset until you have been fed through his feeding tube and crapped in his bed pan for 10 weeks.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-25-24, 02:14 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Don't assess another man's mindset until you have been fed through his feeding tube and crapped in his bed pan for 10 weeks.
...this is why people always react poorly to suggestions about how it could always be worse.
Old 03-25-24, 02:27 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Dermatomyositis. Autoimmune disease that attacks the upper body and frequently causes interstitial lung disease too.

My riding is ok. It’s getting a lot harder to handle the mountain bike due to upper body weakness and more than a couple hours of road riding is about all my arms can take.

Combine that with full time work, parenthood , general aging, and cervical spine stenosis and I’m just a shell of myself.

It’s even worse for my “main” sport, rock climbing. I can’t even finish what I used to warm up on.

Best strategy for me has been tinkering and solo rides. I’m a lot happier to suffer alone than get dropped by a fat guy.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 03-25-24, 08:33 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Oh, man, that's rough. I've had a number of intervals off the bike. As much as 6 months, several in the range of 2-4 months. It comes with a deep deep melancholy, particularly when I didn't know how long (or in some cases, if ever) I would be able to go back.

When I'm in that situation, I find it painful to see others out riding. I see them and I get a deep longing. I certainly can't look at Strava then either. I do go down to the stable and gaze at my bikes, but it hurts to do it.

Courage, I guess. Some people never knew the joy in the first place. All around us and all around the world, there are people living with all kinds of physical and mental disabilities. People living in war and trying to reconstruct their lives after heinous injuries, losing multiple limbs and worse. My life, off the bike, is still a comfortable life by any measure, and though I'm not happy that way, it's good to at least try to keep things in perspective.

Good luck to all those forced off the bike by injury and illness. It is very hard.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 03-25-24, 09:39 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Fractured my C3 October 10th 2019, aged 59. Just a few weeks after completing a 1000km brevet, and a couple months after completing Paris Brest Paris. First trainer ride was 18 days later. First real ride was 4 months after the accident, on the first day that was allowed. That was a scary 4.5 mile ride.

It took me 2 years to get back to 1200km form, but I've never quite returned to pre-crash fitness levels. At 63 now, that seems unlikely.

No surgery required, just a hard brace for 3 months. The crash happened on a Friday, I was in the office on Monday. Wife was displeased, but technically the Doc said when I felt up to work I could return.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 03-25-24, 10:27 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
I look at the bright side of things = when life feels like total shat, consider the alternative. At 72yo, I have lost too many close friends, relatives etc to hardly ever 'feel bad'.

But there are a whole lot of diseases and happenstance that can work contrary to graceful aging.

Roll On, any way I can - good medicine for much of what ails me.

for some, hard to maintain the straight and narrow as the tides shift life's realities.

¿this thread needs pictures?

Last edited by Wildwood; 03-25-24 at 10:37 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 03-26-24, 12:41 AM
bijosepke

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Several years back, I was in a road accident on my bicycle. I could not ride for over one year. I can ride now, but not long distances.
Old 03-28-24, 09:21 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
In Nov. ‘21 I was struck broadside by a car making a careless left hand turn across traffic. My bike was destroyed and I ended up in the hospital with a concussion (based on the damage to my helmet, I’m certain it saved my life), five broken ribs, a fractured scapula, a fractured ankle and 4 fractured vertebrae. I was in the hospital for 8 days and in a rehab hospital for 10. Then about 4 months of PT.

I was completely off the bike for all of December.

I got a new bike in Jan. ‘22 but I only rode it lightly in the basement starting in mid Jan. until about the middle of Feb when I started going for short rides in my neighborhood.

I’ve pretty much recovered by now, but I’m still not as fast as I was before I got hit.
Likes For DirePenguin:
Old 03-28-24, 02:00 PM
b88

Originally Posted by DirePenguin
In Nov. ‘21 I was struck broadside by a car making a careless left hand turn across traffic. My bike was destroyed and I ended up in the hospital with a concussion (based on the damage to my helmet, I’m certain it saved my life), five broken ribs, a fractured scapula, a fractured ankle and 4 fractured vertebrae. I was in the hospital for 8 days and in a rehab hospital for 10. Then about 4 months of PT.

I was completely off the bike for all of December.

I got a new bike in Jan. ‘22 but I only rode it lightly in the basement starting in mid Jan. until about the middle of Feb when I started going for short rides in my neighborhood.

I’ve pretty much recovered by now, but I’m still not as fast as I was before I got hit.
Damn, hope his insurance had to cough up everything.

I encountered almost same thing but just busted up my knee and ankle.
Old 03-28-24, 02:27 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Wildwood
¿this thread needs pictures?
I’d post a post-op photo, but the mods might not like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.