Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Knee clicking

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-23, 04:27 PM
GetUpnGo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Knee clicking

My knee is clicking audibly with each turn of the pedals. It doesn't hurt but it's an irritating noise. It seems to be located on the upper outer side (like the 1:00 position on the right knee if you were standing in front of me). The noise goes away if I pedal lightly. Anyone else have this problem? I noticed recently that my wrist makes a clicking noise when I lift a dumbell.
Old 06-19-23, 11:33 AM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Knee crepitus is the medical term for crunching or popping in the knee joint.
Old 06-19-23, 11:53 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
loose / torn cartilage. if no discomfort, I doubt a doc would operate to remove it. but he/she might have advice
Old 06-19-23, 01:19 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Back when I was young and fit, as a distance/trail runner, I had one ankle that tended to audibly "click," frequently at nearly every step on long, straight, flat runs at speed. Did this for a dozen years. Never interfered with anything, never impinged on my performance, never seemed a problem since it was merely a modest noise and nothing else.

'Course, I was young and fit then, decades ago. If it were happening now, with any joint, I'd be a bit more concerned and would probably ask the doc.
Old 09-18-23, 05:01 AM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
I've had this. I used to ride in the middle of the night in the hot summer, chased down the least noise. I've heard the tips of laces tapping on shoes. It took a while to figure out that my knees were clicking because it didn't happen when walking or running. It either went away or my hearing did. I know that the latter is happening.
Likes For Arthur Peabody:
Old 09-24-23, 06:32 PM
GetUpnGo

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
I've had this. I used to ride in the middle of the night in the hot summer, chased down the least noise. I've heard the tips of laces tapping on shoes. It took a while to figure out that my knees were clicking because it didn't happen when walking or running. It either went away or my hearing did. I know that the latter is happening.
Same here, Arthur. The sound went away after a few weeks as mysteriously as it appeared. I too couldn't figure out for a long time what the noise was, assumed it was the crank.
Old 09-24-23, 07:11 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by GetUpnGo
Same here, Arthur. The sound went away after a few weeks as mysteriously as it appeared. I too couldn't figure out for a long time what the noise was, assumed it was the crank.

I had this same bizarre thing happened to me this spring, it lasted 3-4 days if I recall. I called made a Dr appointment. One morning and about an hour before my appointment it went away. I saw a young PA, and since it quit, before I got there, there was no diagnosis.
Old 09-24-23, 07:36 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I had a knee that did that for years. It never pained me so I basically ignored it. 74 now and not sure when it quit.
Old 09-25-23, 09:45 AM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
S I too couldn't figure out for a long time what the noise was, assumed it was the crank.
I replaced the bottom bracket and the pedals, to no avail.

Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
One morning and about an hour before my appointment it went away. I saw a young PA, and since it quit, before I got there, there was no diagnosis.
'Fortunately' it takes so long to get an appointment I time out. Good thing I've had no serious problems.

Originally Posted by SpedFast
I had a knee that did that for years. It never pained me so I basically ignored it. 74 now and not sure when it quit.
Had it hurt I would have known it was the knee sooner. I can get a bluetooth microphone, attach it do suspect joints, now. Sometimes an ankle clicks.
Likes For Arthur Peabody:
Old 11-15-23, 12:34 AM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
My knee is clicking audibly with each turn of the pedals. It doesn't hurt but it's an irritating noise. It seems to be located on the upper outer side (like the 1:00 position on the right knee if you were standing in front of me). The noise goes away if I pedal lightly. Anyone else have this problem? I noticed recently that my wrist makes a clicking noise when I lift a dumbell.
As one grows older, some damage to your cartilage is not uncommon. Often there are small pieces that float about and depending on where they end up around the joint, they make these popping, clicking or even grinding sounds. If there is no pain, watch for a while, often these fragments will find a resting place and noises will reduce or go away.
You may wish to see your physician, who would probably get a few X-ray images from various angles to assess the situation. If pain becomes too much, arthroscopic surgery is an option, which does not involve large incisions common to conventional knee surgery.
Keep surgery as your last option, always!
There are some very useful exercises to strengthen muscles that support your knee, this would help taking some load off your joints, reducing pain, if and warped it appears. With a little luck, you might indefinitely delay that from happening.
Old 11-25-23, 12:42 PM
GetUpnGo

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
As one grows older, some damage to your cartilage is not uncommon. Often there are small pieces that float about and depending on where they end up around the joint, they make these popping, clicking or even grinding sounds. If there is no pain, watch for a while, often these fragments will find a resting place and noises will reduce or go away.
Thank you, Arthur. I found your first paragraph particularly enlightening. Indeed, there never was any pain and the clicking went away and has not returned.
Old 11-25-23, 12:57 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Thank you, Arthur. I found your first paragraph particularly enlightening. Indeed, there never was any pain and the clicking went away and has not returned.
I am glad you are doing well. 👍
Old 11-29-23, 12:27 PM
jem01 

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I have found the same thing… over time my right knee clicking went from occurring all thruout the day to now, about 8 years later, only occurring occassionally. There has never been any pain or limitations with activity…. So am grateful. But yes… it’s annoying! Appreciate you all’s insight!