Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM Force vs Shimano 105

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-11, 04:38 PM
aboss3

Bikes: 2019 BMC Teammachine 02, 2019 Trek X-Caliber MTB, 2010 Specialized Allez Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I currently have '10 Specialized Allez Elite that came with Shimano 105 components. I wanted to see how it stacks up against SRAM force, as I'm planning to upgrade to.

Also, I've purchased Easton Circuit wheels to replace the stock CXP-22's. Would it be better to replace the Ultegra cassette with a SRAM Force one? Or start with the rear derailleur & shifters?
Old 03-30-11, 04:50 PM
desertdork
just pokin' along

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
SRAM has an entirely different feel and action. You may love it, or you may not. I'd suggest trying out a SRAM equipped bike before making the decision.

Unless you want different gearing, I see no point in replacing the cassette. You already own it...might as well wear it out.
Old 03-30-11, 05:27 PM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
what the duece is wrong with what you got right now?

too heavy?

Last edited by Nick Bain; 03-30-11 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 05:57 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I too have been bitten by the upgrade bug although I don't have the budget right now to do anything about it. I have a triple and want to upgrade it to a compact. I figured I would buy a steel touring bike frame for my triple groupo.

Sometimes, someone has a urge to upgrade and for no good reason. However, I would give SRAM a test ride before I dropped any money on it.
Old 03-30-11, 06:00 PM
wrr1020

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I own both on separate bikes and i prefer SRAM. Double tap shifting is nice and i prefer SRAM hoods over Shimano.
Old 03-30-11, 06:20 PM
dnuzzomueller
Banned.

Bikes: something

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be the first one to expound the unmatched awesomeness of SRAM components but it really is a personal thing. Give it a try first and then see how you like it. The shifting may amaze you or it may annoy you. It is definitely spot on crisp, exact shifting, something I personally care a HUGE amount about. Shimano shifting is definitely smoother in its overall feel ,especially the front shifting, but sometimes the shifting gets a little slack and can be sloppy at times. It is a choice only you can make.

Also believe it or not but if you are going to spend the money on a SRAM group it may be a better investment to you if you mix and match some of the components. Differences between the SRAM groups are quite minimal mechanically except for SRAM Red which has Zero Loss in the rear shifter. All the other SRAM groups are more or less the same and only weight really differentiates them. Just consider that when buying SRAM stuff.
Old 03-30-11, 06:20 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Why are you upgrading? Unless something is broken or you rode a Sram bike and fell in love with the shifter shape or action I would save your money.

And on that note, why did buy the Circuits?
Old 03-30-11, 06:35 PM
BikeNube

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would rather have force over dura ace.
Old 03-30-11, 07:22 PM
aboss3

Bikes: 2019 BMC Teammachine 02, 2019 Trek X-Caliber MTB, 2010 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by canam73
Why are you upgrading? Unless something is broken or you rode a Sram bike and fell in love with the shifter shape or action I would save your money.

And on that note, why did buy the Circuits?
Well, I'm upgrading because I tried SRAM at the LBS today and loved it! Of course, it was the RED...and Apex for a change. Red is a killer! On the other hand, Apex felt better than my sloppy 105. My groupo is in great shape, and this is the 2nd 105 I have...so I can't blame it on used-up components.

I got Circuits since there was a great deal for them. My rear wheel was stolen, and I replaced it with a crappy heavy wheel (worse than Forte).....after 200 miles it's now out of true. I have an Ultegra cassette (6700) attached to it, which will go on Eastons.
Old 03-30-11, 08:33 PM
info

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
How much doesmit cost to upgrade to SRAM reds or force ?
Is it a huge expense ?
Rick

Old 03-30-11, 08:46 PM
keepamonte

Bikes: Giant Advanced TCR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had 105 on my 2005 Giant OCRC3. It was great, rarely needed adjustment, and gave me 8500 miles with no fuss. I upgraded my OCR to a TCR Advanced because I was ready to upgrade to a faster lighter bike and I got a great deal at the time. My biggest reservation about the switch was that it had 2010 SRAM Force. The LBS assured me I would love it, and they were right. I am a SRAM convert. Donwhat you want if you have the money!
Old 03-30-11, 08:56 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Well then, get the Red shifters and Rival derailleurs. You will get the Zero Loss on both sides and Rival derailleurs barely weigh more than the Red and you will never notice a functional difference.

Keep the 105 brakeset and upgrade the pads to Swisstops or Koolstops. Keep your cassette and crankset unless you want to change your gearing.

Sell the 105 derailleurs and shifters and combine with money saved from not buying brakes, cassette and crank. Use money for better wheels because at that point your bike will deserve them. It already does.
Old 03-30-11, 09:03 PM
grwoolf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by info
Is it a huge expense ?
Rick
I just bought Red Shifters with Force FD, RD, and brakes. Total was about $720 shipped. I'm keeping my ultegra crank, so no need to do a complete group. I bought from Tree Fort Bikes, I've had good experiences with them in the past and they price match any legit US dealer on the web.

You can buy a complete force group for about $850 after shipping at PBK with the 10% off coupon right now.

You can probably beat these prices if you want to work the ebay angle or peice together stuff from different vendors, but I didnt' want to mess with that.

Last edited by grwoolf; 03-30-11 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-30-11, 09:42 PM
Painful Chafe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by info
Is it a huge expense ?
Rick
You can pick up an 8 piece Force group for $800, then subtract what you would get for the stuff you sell.
Old 03-30-11, 11:30 PM
JonnyUtah75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I came from 105 to Rival. 105 was good, Rival is great. I think the Rival shifts into the big ring like buttah. The 105 was very hit or miss.
Old 03-31-11, 12:06 AM
James1:17
comin' in hot

Bikes: '97 Allez M2, '90 Trek 1400, 80's Univega Alpina Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i have 105 5700 and think it's tits so whatevski
Old 03-31-11, 01:53 AM
Painful Chafe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyUtah75
I came from 105 to Rival. 105 was good, Rival is great. I think the Rival shifts into the big ring like buttah. The 105 was very hit or miss.
The strange thing is, I think the improved front shifting is from the the shifter. I still have a 105 front derailleur but changed the shifters to Force. There is a big difference of how smooth the front is shifting now. There is no drama at all. No noises. I just shift to the big ring and a split second later, it is there. I'm happy with my switch to sram.
Old 03-31-11, 04:56 AM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree that sram is fast on the FD. But it only has two positions, where my 105 has like three or four.
Old 03-31-11, 05:33 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 30 Posts
I am trying to understand what the OP's REAL issue with 105 is. I have been running 103 since 2005 and have only had one issue with the shifting, which was quickly remedied with a small FD adjustment. I test rode a SRAM equipped bike a month or so ago and, while I did like it and did find the difference in the overall feel quite pleasing, I did not see any reason to "upgrade" from my 105.

Cheers,

Brian J.

― Bruce Lee
Old 03-31-11, 05:48 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
I too have been bitten by the upgrade bug although I don't have the budget right now to do anything about it. I have a triple and want to upgrade it to a compact. I figured I would buy a steel touring bike frame for my triple groupo.

Sometimes, someone has a urge to upgrade and for no good reason. However, I would give SRAM a test ride before I dropped any money on it.
Reach adjust shifters
Shifting under load
SRAM rocks.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 03-31-11 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-31-11, 05:51 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Painful Chafe
The strange thing is, I think the improved front shifting is from the the shifter. I still have a 105 front derailleur but changed the shifters to Force. There is a big difference of how smooth the front is shifting now. There is no drama at all. No noises. I just shift to the big ring and a split second later, it is there. I'm happy with my switch to sram.
Zero loss shifting. That's what you are feeling.
Old 03-31-11, 06:25 AM
garysol1 

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I think the new 105 (5700) does not shift quite as nice as the older stuff (5600) but I really do not think that going through the hassle of swapping over to Force is much if any of an upgrade. I think If I were in your shoes and you really like SRAM then i would ride the 105 for a bit and save up for RED.
Old 03-31-11, 06:28 AM
Adrianinkc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I threw out the (5700) 105 after 200 miles of use and upgraded to Rival, but I would have been happy with apex really.

Last edited by Adrianinkc; 03-31-11 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-31-11, 08:08 AM
wfrogge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In this case id go with SRAM Force. Both shift fine but Force is an upgrade (lower weight, built better) than the new 105. Hoods/shifting will seem odd at first but you will get used to it.
Old 03-31-11, 08:27 AM
I_Like_Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased a Tarmac Expert with Ultegra and my next upgrade after carbon wheels is going to be Red. I hate Ultegra. It usually shifts fine, but often doesn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.