Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Who Thinks Biking Is GOOD For Your Back

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-20, 03:40 PM
Payton1221

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I had a few episodes of severe back pain that started 10 years ago. The first one was brought on by trauma (poor lifting mechanics) and the next few were brought on by trauma that wasn't nearly as significant as the first one. For a few years after that, I just avoided most of the activities that would put my back in a compromising position, but fast forward today after riding semi-seriously for five years, my back feels as good as it did before the first event.

If it matters, my riding is comprised of a fair amount of out of the saddle peddling up hills. In my mind, I'm thinking that this motion may have contributed to just an overall strengthening of my spine and core. Anyone feel similarly or have had a similar experience with less back pain/problems after embarking on a riding regimen?
Old 04-25-20, 03:54 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
I do

for me anyway, the best remedy for a sore back is a good ride
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 04-25-20, 03:55 PM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
For a good fitness regime you need to consider all muscles. You should strengthen those muscles not used much while cycling. In particular, it is a good idea to do abdominal muscle strengthening exercises.

If you watch people training for football, for example. They do exercises to strengthen muscles hardly used while playing football.

A fitness trainer, could give more detailed information.
Old 04-25-20, 03:57 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I frequently get lower back pain that makes it hard for me to walk. However, even with that pain I can ride a fair distance. I don't think bicycling per se strengthens the back, but I do think that bicycling on a properly fitted bicycle can greatly reduce the forces on the back.

Cheers
Old 04-25-20, 03:59 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I have spinal stenosis. I had more problems during the 8 years I took off from cycling than I have now that I've been back at it for 22 months. I use a large 10cm saddle to bar drop.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 04-25-20, 04:10 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
I know mine sure feels better after a ride, and the more often I ride, the better it feels.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 04-25-20, 04:15 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18432 Post(s)
Liked 15,586 Times in 7,340 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
I do

Same here. My bulging disc problem is worse in the winter, when I’m not riding. Riding definitely helps.
Old 04-25-20, 04:42 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
I do

This really says it all.

For me the forward lean of using drops stretches my back. I find I cannot ride upright for any length of time and switch to the bottom drops to relax. I have degenerative disk disease (a technical medical term, but very scary to first read on a MRI report) for age-related disk wear. .Additionally pedaling (especially out of saddle) and balancing do their part for building core strength. Balancing routines were some of the core-strength exercises I was given as part of PT following knee surgery. I have found the more active I am the less I notice my back hurting and during biking months I find it almost non-existent.
Old 04-25-20, 05:06 PM
Cyclist30923
Banned.

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
A properly matched bike to your bodys needs can be great for healing pain. Cycling builds core strength, and most instances of back pain are usually attributed to weak core muscles. If you find that your current ride is making back pain worse, consider making some changes. Sometimes a slight adjustment in bar height or seat position is all it takes.
Old 04-25-20, 05:14 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts

A 1 or 2 minute plank, and then a ride on a well-fitted frame that you can extend your back out on, nothing better for your back. I've fixed muscle pain and minor misalignment that way, more times than I can count.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 04-25-20, 05:30 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I think bicycling helps my back, but I've done a number of things to address my bad lower back, so I'm not sure the bicycling has been a net positive.

But it feels like it's been a net positive.
Old 04-25-20, 05:35 PM
Payton1221

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is great stuff! And the comment about drop bars being beneficial (as it stretches the back) is an interesting perspective. I have three bikes, and they're all flatbar bikes as I thought that would be best for my back, but I think try a drop bar bike when I'm ready for a new bike
Old 04-26-20, 07:06 AM
Trocadile

Bikes: Reynolds 853 hardtail MTB; Titanium mini velo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts
My back/pelvis periodically gets out of alignment such that one hip is higher than the other. While I do a lot of PT to try to prevent it from happening, the two best quick fixes are biking and hanging from a chinning bar. Biking always makes my back feel better and I rarely have trouble if I'm able to do it at least every other day.
Old 04-26-20, 07:17 AM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Has been excellent for my back for all the reasons listed.

I’ve had neck issues, compressed disks, pinched nerves that I relate more so to desk work for 25 years and had a c6-7 fusion last year. I have to be a little careful with the biking and the neck but overall I still find it beneficial as my cycling riding position on the hoods or flatbar is good posture that helps counteract poor desk posture. Almost a year after surgery I’m still healing a little but improving as my upper back muscles strengthen in part due to bicycling.
Old 04-26-20, 07:18 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6976 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
My back was damaged in a nasty auto accident: banged-up the c3, c4, and c5 vertebrae, damaged a couple of the pads. At one point, the neurologist commented that cycling was probably now more difficult; I responded that my back only felt normal and pain-free while riding. The doctor was surprised, but simply said, “Okay, then keep riding!”
Old 04-26-20, 08:18 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Payton1221 I haven't really had back issues, except twice, for a few weeks each when I lifted something wrong; but those were long ago.

However, for at least a dozen years (and possibly 15) I had a clip-on aero bar on my straight-bar MTB-based commuter to give me more hand positions. Besides a conventional aero tuck, I could reach forward and put my hands on the "peak" where the two "arms" of the bar met. Nothing felt better than stretching out forward and rocketing down the road.

Last fall I converted that bike to drops, which works better for my hands all around, except I don't have that "prone" position.

I clipped the aero bars onto my road bike one day this last winter to see what that was like, and there was that "stretch" I missed. However, the shape of these particular bars and the elbow rests interfered with the upper bar and the hoods on my road-bike's narrower bars, so it was not practical to leave them on.
Old 04-26-20, 08:26 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985

A 1 or 2 minute plank, and then a ride on a well-fitted frame that you can extend your back out on, nothing better for your back. I've fixed muscle pain and minor misalignment that way, more times than I can count.

That sounds like a reasonable recommendation. Now convince the guy in the pic to get on the bike, or at least stop skipping a Leg Day.
Old 04-26-20, 09:06 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 820 Posts
I have chronic back issues, including 4 spinal surgeries. I am sure that, for me, bicycling has, and continues to be, a plus. I was told by doctors, surgeons, therapists that I should stick with a flat bar type bike to alleviate the lower back stress. That did not work for me. I went back to drop bars, compact bars with less of a drop from saddle to bar. If I do not ride for awhile, like 4 days of more, my back gets tight and sore. If I over do things and wind up with a sore back, a bike ride definitely helps to alleviate it. I stepped up my biking a lot in 2013, and then even more in 2016, and I have fewer and less severe episodes of back pain than I had in many years before those changes. Biking was also a pre and post op factor in recovery from those surgeries. Having strong legs from cycling was a big factor in the recovery process. Only once did I have to stay in the hospital longer than anticipated, and that was from being badly constipated from the meds. Other times I was released on time or earlier than expected.
Old 04-26-20, 11:05 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
I had back problems since I was a teen. Raced Cat.2 in the golden age of cycling. Back problems cut my racing career short. Lifetime of back issues until I was 60 yrs old. Then I was given a miracle. Got my sacroiliac joint to crack. Now at 62 I feel like I was given new life. No issues with riding my bike and renewed energy and power 45 years of pain...gone. Can you give me a Hallelujah!
Old 04-26-20, 11:24 AM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
I feel riding in the drops helps my lower back, but my back problems are the result of an over-the-handlebars event in my youth, so the bike is both the cause and the cure.
Old 04-26-20, 11:25 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
It's like saying exercise is good for your back. Sure...maybe. In some circumstances. In others it will be the wrong kind and make it worse.
Old 04-26-20, 02:18 PM
asad000003
Road King

Bikes: BMX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hear swimming is good for back pain as well. Bike gets more exhausting over time but swimming is very relaxing for the body and mind. Unless you are a sinker like me, then one should stick to biking.
Old 04-26-20, 04:20 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
FWIW, many years ago I discovered that I have a congenital defect in my spine at my sacrum. When it flared up it was horrendous. Got me medially discharged from the Army. I ended up going to a Chiropractor who got me fixed. I asked him if I should give up motorcycling and he asked how I sat on the bike. I told him it was a sport bike and I was leaned in and kind of hunched over. He said that was a good position for my back. I imagine problems in different areas of your back might mean different solutions. But, if what you are doing works, go for it.
Old 04-26-20, 08:17 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
I have some degenerated discs in my lower back.

Cycling is at best neutral for me. It has never helped my back. It used to occasionally leave my lower back sore or tight, but if I keep up on my core strengthening, and hamstring stretching, I can cycle without aggravating it.