Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New disk brakes vibrating

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-23, 01:23 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts

This is the first time I use disk brakes – new SRAM Rival road system, now about 200 km mild rides. I didn’t know about “bedding”, so I only cleaned the disks with 96% alcohol before the first ride. The rotors move free, they don’t touch the pads.
The rear brake seems to be fine (although I see no difference vs. Force 22 rim brakes).
The front brake has fluctuating power over the circumference of the disk. At higher force, it strongly vibrates and makes noise. I felt this 2-3 times, then I started to brake just below that level and relieve the lever before full stop, to avoid vibrations.

I am wondering whether the front brake will gradually start to work ok, or I should apply other special procedures to fix it.
Thanks.
Old 04-22-23, 01:55 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
this could be because you did not bedtime right. its easy fix hit the disc with sandpaper clean it with alcohol and follow the many instructions on bedding. myself we have lots f hills so its easy to bed them in.
Old 04-22-23, 02:39 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
The bad news

You're feeling the effects of resonance. No brake disc will ever have perfectly uniform friction properties through 360 degrees. So there'll always be some pulsing.

The front brake pulsing is noticeable because the fork is flexible and under the right conditions can set up a tuning fork type resonance.

This will be worst under specific conditions and, as you've learned, can be managed.

The good news.

This will pretty much resolve over time, and both the likelihood and severity of the problem will shrink.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 04-22-23, 03:58 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
"The front brake pulsing is noticeable because the fork is flexible and under the right conditions can set up a tuning fork type resonance."

Please explain how two tubes, bridged at the bottom and top, can act like a tuning fork.

to the Original poster.. try re-centering the Brake caliper... loosen the two screws attaching the caliper to the mount.. then hold the brake lever tightly as you re-tighten the mount screws.

Last edited by maddog34; 04-22-23 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-22-23, 04:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6203 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
You've only ridden 200 kilometers on them. My discs didn't perform well till I had 300 miles on them. So you might have almost 283 more kilometers to go.

I didn't muck around with them either every time they squealed a little. Usually when they'd gotten wet or for other reasons. About all I ever did was clean them with alcohol if I was spraying some cleaner on the bike that might have gotten on the disc.

5000 miles later they stop way too well and are smooth and quiet as can be. Even when they get wet.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 04-22-23, 05:15 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by maddog34
Please explain how two tubes, bridge at the bottom and top, can act like a tuning fork.....
I didn't say that. It was an analogy to help the OP understand resonance.

However, each brake pulse pushes the fork back a tiny bit. If the timing of the rebound matches the pulse frequency you get resonance, which amplifies the pulsing effect.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-22-23 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-23-23, 01:03 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I didn't say that. It was an analogy to help the OP understand resonance.

However, each brake pulse pushes the fork back a tiny bit. If the timing of the rebound matches the pulse frequency you get resonance, which amplifies the pulsing effect.
Thanks!
I know what resonance is, but I didn’t imagine I would find it so hard with disk brakes. It very rarely appears with rim brakes and it disappears in 1 minute by simply cleaning the rim.
I re-centered the caliper, cleaned the disk again and braked around 20 times from 25-30 km/h, plus 3 longer brakes of 30-40 seconds on descents. It improved. Still tend to vibrate, but at higher force. Overall, much more demanding than rim brakes...
Old 04-23-23, 03:43 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
Thanks!
I know what resonance is, but I didn’t imagine I would find it so hard with disk brakes. It very rarely appears with rim brakes and it disappears in 1 minute by simply cleaning the rim.
I re-centered the caliper, cleaned the disk again and braked around 20 times from 25-30 km/h, plus 3 longer brakes of 30-40 seconds on descents. It improved. Still tend to vibrate, but at higher force. Overall, much more demanding than rim brakes...
another source of "vibration" is the Holes or Slots in the disc itself.. some discs are quiet, some make a steady buzzing sound, AKA: vibration..... the only solution for this is replacing the discs with a different design... i've installed several SRAM discs with Shimano or Zoom brand calipers/pads... Personally, i've had no troubles with them.. yet.... (fingers crossed)

i put drilled/slotted discs on my old corolla.. i Hated them... they made a distinct buzzing when applied hard... and pedal pressure needed to be increased to get the car to stop too !' i trashed them and swapped to standard, non-drilled discs and the newer Ceramic pads......instant better brakes. the slotted discs i had on my '85 Rally Corolla worked fantastic... no holes in those...just angled slots.............

another thing i've ended Squealing brakes with is Coarse Emery Paper... Not standard Sandpaper, it can leave a glue residue that instantly re-glazes the pads.. Find a very flat, hard surface (i use my drill press table) and lay the emery paper on it.. then, using a circular motion, rub the pad on the paper.until it presents a clean surface free of glaze.. i turn the pad 90 deg. every few circlings to even out any angularity i might impart.... Reinstall the pads... i also lightly redress the discs at the same time, using the same coarse emery paper... 100 to 180 grit.. 220 works ok too... i then Re-center the caliper.

Last edited by maddog34; 04-23-23 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-23-23, 05:02 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Redbullet
..... Overall, much more demanding than rim brakes...
Like you, (I suspect), I'm a long time roadie. I consider disc brakes on road bikes to be an overly complex solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

I believe the shift to road discs to be the outcome of mtb riders coming fresh to road bikes and bringing their mtb sensibilities with them. Of course, the industry was more than willing to accommodate them, since who doesn't prefer to sell more expensive stuff.

Given the short institutional memory, I wouldn't be surprised if some years from now, someone introduces a "integrated disc" concept that uses the wheel itself as the rotor, and markets its virtues of simplicity and lower weight.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY: