Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What age did you learn to ride? First bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What age did you learn to ride? First bike

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-17, 08:06 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Whenever it was, fairly certain it was a black and orange generic 16" that probably came form Toys-R-Us. Can't remember having 12" at least. Single speed with a coaster brake and a worn out back tire from getting it going fast, hitting the brake, and sliding the back tire around. Still have some scars from that activity

I only had one other bike between that one and my first real bike that I still own and regularly ride.
Old 08-08-17, 08:37 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
I got a bike for my 5th birthday (tricycle before that), my Dad made me ride with training wheels until my 6th birthday. Of course, by then, most/all of my friends had had theirs off for months, I was the only dork still with training wheels. It worked, I guess, since once the training wheels were off I had no trouble riding without them. I still remember the sweet feeling of swoopy freedom, riding without training wheels for the first time (damn, more than 45 years ago).

The bike was nothing special, from Holiday (kind of like Benny's for you New Englanders, but smaller and with gas pumps). A generic dept. store bike, red, plastic seat, red & silver handlebar streamers, pin-striped fenders, etc. Appropriately sized for 5-6 year olds, single speed, coaster brake. It wasn't nearly as cool as the Schwinn bikes the rich kids had. It still represented a big increase in my range of freedom to 6 year old me. It got passed down to my 2 brothers and sister as we grew. As I remember, it didn't make the move 'way down south to Madison with us, I think we gave it away to another kid.

----------

Last edited by noimagination; 08-08-17 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-08-17, 11:17 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I was about 4. I had a little 16" pink coaster brake bike with a basket, bell, and of course streamers. Being the ladylike gal I was, I liked to ride around in my pink kitty dress and threaten the neighbor boy who was about three years older than me.

Dad did his usual thing and tricked me into learning how to do something by pretending he was holding me up, then telling me later that I'd been balancing on my own. (The underwater swimming incident was a bit less pleasant.)

Annnnddd...over 30 years later, I got myself another pink bike, and still ride in a cat dress, but now with bike shorts. Some things never change.
Old 08-08-17, 11:57 AM
gabe3366

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suppose I was around 7 to 10, on a diamondback bmx in my nonna's driveway.
Old 08-08-17, 07:55 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I think I was about 6, never used training wheels, had parents and older sisters attempting to teach me balance. I must have had gotten the hang of it but not the confidence, because one day my dad took me outside to "teach" me. He told me to get on my bike and ride down the sidewalk to the end of the block, which I did and back. I don't think he even helped me balance, he just told me and I did it.

BTW, the bike was a Western Flyer banana seat bike which I rode up until I was a teenager and graduated to a ten speed.
Old 08-08-17, 08:12 PM
Waxbytes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I was seven and the bike was red. That's all I can remember other than falling off a lot as my parents didn't think training wheels were a good idea. It didn't take long to get the hang of it.
Old 08-08-17, 10:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Neolithic.
Old 08-08-17, 10:34 PM
Super_Sport

Bikes: 1966 Schwinn Super Sport, 1978 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1991/92 Fuji Sundance, 1985 Razesa Ritter SL, 1984 Raleigh Grand Mesa, 2019 Surly Pack Rat, 2021 All City Super Professional

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was 5 or 6. Bike was a red Huffy. Ended up crashing it on a big downhill race with a neighborhood kid a year or so later. I kept riding it but was scared of downhills after that. Still not a good descender...
Old 08-09-17, 04:47 AM
rubiconazoid
post tenebras lux

Bikes: Trek 720, Centurion Accordo, Gary Fisher Mamba

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe I was 6 years old. I think it was a red Murray . I convinced my father to take the training wheels off rather quickly. I took 2 quick spills in the driveway and then I was off to the races.
Old 08-09-17, 11:13 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
My son learned last year at age 6. He had been on training wheels for quite a while, but one day he decided he was ready to learn. Took him to a large grassy area, I took his training wheels off and my wife helped him balance. I think after about 5 minutes he was on his own. I'm pretty sure it helped that he had a Razor-type scooter that he rode around his grampa's driveway. I noticed that he would get going with one foot and then coast around keeping his foot up, so I knew it wasn't going to be too hard for him. If he could balance that scooter he could balance a bike.

*edit* Well, according to one of my old Facebook posts that just popped up in my feed from two years ago, my son learned at age 5. He's now 7 and enjoys going on short rides around town with me. My daughter is 5 and rides her "big girl" bike with training wheels, but I think it might be time to try to teach her how to balance using the no pedals method.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 08-10-17 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-09-17, 11:19 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I have no memory of not being able to ride a bike. It would be before I started kindergarten. Now my grandson turns 7 next week. He never got off his training wheels and now his bike is rusted in his backyard. I don't think he touched it in the last year. He cares about nothing else in life but playing Minecraft and watching Minecraft videos on Youtube.
Old 08-09-17, 01:58 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I was 4....1977. I had a Spider Man bike with training wheels. Took the training wheels off after about a month.
Old 08-09-17, 05:52 PM
Gaelen

Bikes: 2019 Giant Defy Advanced 3

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Somewhere in the 5-7 range. I'm not sure if it was my first bike, but, the first one I remember was a dark green Huffy. Man, that thing was sweet.
Old 08-09-17, 07:35 PM
Cheryl G

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure the exact age but I have a photo of me on it. It was a pink 16"-20" with coaster brakes, I'm guessing I was about 6 when the photo was taken after I learned to ride without training wheels.

My son turns 4 in two weeks and we are getting him his first bike. Meanwhile, I am back on a bike for the first time in 9 years and my husband will be getting one soon too so we can eventually take family rides.
Old 08-09-17, 11:00 PM
calyco

Bikes: Jamis Icon Pro

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At age 8 with bmx bike, training wheels came off like 3 months later I think. I remember gliding on grass trying to get the proper balance Once I got it I was ecstatic, so happy that day
Old 08-10-17, 03:18 AM
seagullplayer
Star of the Nursing Home

Bikes: Schwinn, Mirada

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before I started kindergarten, it was an old blue bike with solid wheels.

Wish I still had it. It was decades old when I got it in the late 60's...
Old 08-10-17, 06:10 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Not until about the age of 9, for the simple fact it wasnt until then I got a bike. My "bike" was a hard rubber tired sidewalk bike with a V-belt drive. I learned to ride it all by myself in short order. At the age of 11 I got my first real bike with 24 inch tires that I rode 1 and 3/4 miles to school.
Old 08-10-17, 12:26 PM
Crashola

Bikes: Old Raleigh Super Course Marin Pine Mountain Surly LHT

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I must have been 6 -- with no training wheels. I just remember my dad holding me up as I pedaled and then let me go. I seem to recall a couple of crashes before getting it down.

And it was a Huffy "Cheater Slick" Like one of these:

Old 08-11-17, 08:16 AM
prq9218

Bikes: Giant Roam 2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was 4, don't remember what bike I learned on, but by 6, I was doing the majority of my riding on my sisters hand me down Huffy Dream Girl with a banana seat.
Old 08-11-17, 08:21 AM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Rje58
I work up on Christmas morning at age six to find a brand new red bicycle under the Christmas tree! A men's full size 26-inch fixed speed. I spent a lot of hours over the next week or so falling off of it. Thank goodness we lived on a dirt road at the time.

I wasn't big enough to get on it by myself, so I would roll it up beside the porch (which had no rails) and climb on it that way. I don't know how many times I fell off it, before I actually did a voluntary dismount. I had to slow down almost to a stop, then jump off on one side and still hold the bike up.
Pretty much the same experience for me, back in the 1950s. I don't think the concept of "bike fit" had caught on yet.
Old 08-11-17, 06:15 PM
beicster 

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 186 Posts
I don't recall exactly but I was about 5 and the only thing I remember about the bike is that is was an old (in the early 70's) and it had hard, non-pneumatic tires. The tires were coming apart and occasionally a long strip would come loose and whip me as it went by.
Old 08-12-17, 09:05 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
I was 7 or 8. I really really really wanted a BMX style bike like my friends had, but my dad's sister owned a bike shop and talked him into an expensive (she didn't discount for family, either) Italian-cruiser-looking thing. I don't remember the brand or the model, it was 1975....but it so wasn't what I wanted. I rode it anyway for about 2 years 'til I got a Huffy 10-speed - the "Breaking Away" model. That bike I loved.
Old 08-12-17, 09:17 AM
vsudhir18

Bikes: Supercycle Solaris Hybrid

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
4 or 5 years old and learned on the classic training wheels bike and would go around my elementary school playground learning the ropes until I was ready to go without training wheels
Old 08-12-17, 01:53 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I was no more than 5. The bike was a hand-me-down J.C. Higgins (a Sears brand, apparently) 20" bike, that had previously been operated, in turn, by my two older brothers.

I learned to ride it on the slight hill on our little front yard, which ended at a brick wall beside our car-port. The idea that if I didn't get the bike under control before I got to the wall, I was in for a crash, provided extra incentive!

Mark
Old 08-12-17, 02:00 PM
manapua_man

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I was 5-6 and had a hand me down BMX bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.