Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy Ultra Narrow chains and connect links, etc

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 11:18 AM
trigger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I find nothing about my bike so confusing as Campy chain compatibility, so perhaps you can help me out.

I run full Campy on two bikes, both 10 speed that use ultra-narrow chains. As of yet, I don't own the Campy chain tool, but I can see it in my future.

My bike shop (a good one) has told me that there is no "missing link" that will work with the 5.9mm width of the Campy chains. Both IRD and Wipperman seem only to work on the older 6.1mm width.

I have heard that SRAM chains will work with a Campy set-up, but I have also heard that they will NOT work and things will explode on me.

In any case, I have two brand new Campy chains that I want to install. My only option here is to shell out for the chain tool, correct?

EDIT: I installed one chain very, very carefully with a regular chain tool and it seems OK. Did I just made a $60 mistake by installing it without the tool? This is why I was hoping for a missing link of some sort ...
Old 02-04-10, 11:29 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by trigger
I find nothing about my bike so confusing as Campy chain compatibility, so perhaps you can help me out.

I run full Campy on two bikes, both 10 speed that use ultra-narrow chains. As of yet, I don't own the Campy chain tool, but I can see it in my future.

My bike shop (a good one) has told me that there is no "missing link" that will work with the 5.9mm width of the Campy chains. Both IRD and Wipperman seem only to work on the older 6.1mm width.

I have heard that SRAM chains will work with a Campy set-up, but I have also heard that they will NOT work and things will explode on me.

In any case, I have two brand new Campy chains that I want to install. My only option here is to shell out for the chain tool, correct?

EDIT: I installed one chain very, very carefully with a regular chain tool and it seems OK. Did I just made a $60 mistake by installing it without the tool? This is why I was hoping for a missing link of some sort ...
Yeah, well your LBS doesn't know what they're talking about. DaveSSS can complete the rest of the post i'm too lazy to type it out.
Old 02-04-10, 11:35 AM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The Campy tool is best but you don't have to use it if you are very careful and follow the Campy instructions. Whatever tool you use must have a skinny drive pin to avoid damaging the links. It is also important to keep the drive pin centered on the link pin. Most tools have replaceable drive pins. I use a Shimano 10-speed chain tool on my Campy 5.9 10-speed chain.
I understand that the 11-speed chain is another animal.

Al
Old 02-04-10, 11:44 AM
trigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Yeah, well your LBS doesn't know what they're talking about. DaveSSS can complete the rest of the post i'm too lazy to type it out.
If he doesn't chime in, could ya? I have suspected that my LBS is perhaps more interested in trying to get me to pay them to put my chain on than in selling me what will enable me to do the work myself, but this issue does seem complicated. I also do a lot of long distance rides, and want the solution that will have the lowest odds of me finding my chain in two pieces (at the connect point) several hundred kilometers from home.
Old 02-04-10, 11:45 AM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Pretty much any 10 speed chain should work on a Campy 10 speed drivetrain. I've used KMC DX10, DX10SC, old school (non-ultra-narrow) Campy Record C10's, and the newer Ultra Narrow stuff. I have also heard of people using Shimano chains with good results. The Campy chains tend to last longer, but IMHO this is more a matter of materials and construction than any compatibility issues.

As for master links, I've used the Wipperman Shimano-specific (6.05mm, I think) link on the ultra narrow Campy chains with good results. KMC now makes inexpensive Campy 5.9-compatible master links as well. (See here.)
Old 02-04-10, 12:40 PM
trigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Metaluna
KMC now makes inexpensive Campy 5.9-compatible master links as well. (See here.)

Excellent! Thanks. I was looking for the Superlink IV, but it was out of stock so I grabbed one of these instead. Let's hope it works out. I'm committed to Campy chains at least for one more season (since I own them already) but might look into another brand of chain for next year. Thanks again.
Old 02-04-10, 02:09 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The special KMC link, a SRAM 10 powerloc or Forster superlink model 4 will all fit. The only difference is SRAM and Campy are .1-.15mm narrower across the inner plates, so links that fit the other brands will be a sloppy fit. The ideal side clearance is in the .1-.2mm range.
Old 02-04-10, 04:08 PM
trigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
The special KMC link, a SRAM 10 powerloc or Forster superlink model 4 will all fit. The only difference is SRAM and Campy are .1-.15mm narrower across the inner plates, so links that fit the other brands will be a sloppy fit. The ideal side clearance is in the .1-.2mm range.
Thanks! I went with the KMC as it was both readily available and made to fit Campy (5.9mm). What do you hear about it's reliability / longevity?

And, just because I'm new / dumb at this, by using this link I can now use any 10 speed chain tool to install the link, correct?
Old 02-04-10, 04:16 PM
Cassave

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
[QUOTE=trigger;10362066]Thanks! I went with the KMC as it was both readily available and made to fit Campy (5.9mm). What do you hear about it's reliability / longevity?

And, just because I'm new / dumb at this, by using this link I can now use any 10 speed chain tool to install the link, correct?[/QUOTE]

Incorrect. No chain tool is needed. Remove a set of outer plates from your chain, exposing inner plates on both ends.
The KMC link plates and pins just lock together. It'll be obvious when you get one in your hand.
Old 02-04-10, 09:47 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
For future reference, Wippermann's 10-speed chains work very well on Campy drivetrains. I've been using them for 12,000 miles on an otherwise all-Chorus 10-speed bike and they run quietly, shift extremely well and are durable. Their Conex master link is easy to install and remove.
Old 02-05-10, 12:44 AM
DanteB

Bikes: Waterford 2200

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was informed that Campy doesn't make the Ultra Narrow Record 10sp chain any more, you now have to use Chorus chains on Record.
Old 02-05-10, 07:36 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Actually, there should no new Chorus 10 chains either, since both models are now 11 speed. What you should see is a Veloce/Centaur model. The quality and longevity will be the same as Record, but the outer plates have no holes in them and the pins are also solid, not hollow like Record.

https://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/gro...VE_catid_1.jsp
Old 02-05-10, 01:29 PM
trigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always used Centaur chains, so it's no issue for me. It does make me think that Campy is really going to try to push us all into 11 speed whether we really want it or not, but I'm going to ignore that for now.
Old 02-05-10, 01:29 PM
trigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
For future reference, Wippermann's 10-speed chains work very well on Campy drivetrains. I've been using them for 12,000 miles on an otherwise all-Chorus 10-speed bike and they run quietly, shift extremely well and are durable. Their Conex master link is easy to install and remove.
Good to know. Thanks. I may well switch to one of these for next season.