Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shogun? anybody heard of them?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-06, 02:55 PM
broomhandle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i guess we should just start a thread of just "what the hell is this bike"

but....

what the hell is this bike?

its a shogun, made in tawain. it seams to be made pretty well. anybody heard of these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
shogun.jpg (92.3 KB, 722 views)
Old 05-11-06, 03:06 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Yup, they were around in the 80s then disappeared.
Old 05-11-06, 03:20 PM
broomhandle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
where they crap bikes? or OK bikes?
Old 05-11-06, 03:32 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
Shoguns were originally a Japanese brand, I guess they moved production to Taiwan in late '80's, early '90's because of economic factors. I've seen some nice ones (by my standards, anyway), I'd say they're generally on the same level as Centurion, Panasonic, Fuji, etc. They made road bikes and mountain bikes.
Old 05-11-06, 03:40 PM
broomhandle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cool. thanx!
Old 05-12-06, 03:09 AM
clipped
and riding...just riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commuted on one for some time and have fond memories. It was lugged, made well, handled fine but was a bit too small for me so eventually it was sold to a friend in need. The first biopace road bike I'd ridden it suprised on my hilly route with the lack of shifting required. great commuter.
Old 05-12-06, 12:10 PM
chajmahal
bum bike

Bikes: '85 Woodrup Giro-Touring, 87 Centurion LeMans RS (2), 78 Centurion LeMans, 77 Centurion Super LeMans, 2001 Jamis Quest, 1970 Raleigh Grand Prix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw a lugged frame Shogun with the Shimano 600/Arabesque group at a thrift store for $40. Very clean. I was gonna grab it when a clerk told me they were having a 50% off sale in 2 hours. The place was empty on a weekday afternoon so I decided it was safe to kill the 2 hours shopping in the nearby mall and save $20. Short story? Bike wasn't there when I got back.
Old 05-12-06, 01:38 PM
Saintly Loser

Bikes: Nothing special, but it works.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few years ago, I picked up an absolutely mint Shogun clone of a Raleigh Sports (3-speed) at a flea market. It looked brand new. I have no idea when it was made. The paint was beautiful -- it was maroon and cream.

Unfortunately it was stolen from outside the Brooklyn Inn at Hoyt and Bergen. I really liked that bike.
Old 05-12-06, 02:21 PM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
I am fixing up an old Shogun at the moment for my brother who bought it new in late 80's. It's a really nice bike actually. Tange Infinity, lugged and made in Japan. It's a Shogun Katana model red and white, nice looking. It has Shimano Exage Sport and shifts flawlesy. Unfortunatlly I crashed it in a race ride and ruined the rear wheel which I have found very difficult to replace. My Bro has one arm so I plan on building it up with a brifter and a top mount or bar con on the right side. I've been meaning to take pics and post them here, now maybe I finally will.
Old 05-12-06, 04:12 PM
broomhandle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is a pretty nice bike, a little small, but hey its a MTB bike. this has Shimano Exage Sport too? is that good? it even has a U-Brake on the back. im fixing the bars, and shifters, somebody took off the index and put on friction, but they included the original index thumb shifters. go fig. this bike alos has really strange hubs.
Old 05-12-06, 08:11 PM
well biked

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by broomhandlde
this is a pretty nice bike, a little small, but hey its a MTB bike. this has Shimano Exage Sport too? is that good? it even has a U-Brake on the back. im fixing the bars, and shifters, somebody took off the index and put on friction, but they included the original index thumb shifters. go fig. this bike alos has really strange hubs.
Shogun had a very nice mountain bike (I thought it was nice, anyway) called the Prairie Breaker......The Exage stuff on mountain bikes is pretty much entry level, I believe it should be specified "Exage Mountain," as there was ( still is?) an Exage road group also. As far as the shifters go, of all the shifters I've ever used, I have to say the indexed thumb shifters are my least favorites. The ones I've used, particularly the front shifter, seemed very weak, like it just wasn't strong enough to stand the force necessary to move the chain to the big ring. Maybe that's why the previous owner changed to friction shifting on that bike, some of those early indexed thumb shifters left a lot to be desired, in my opinion.
Old 08-24-06, 11:12 PM
richiedcruz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i guess we should just start a thread of just "what the hell is this bike"

but....

what the hell is this bike?

its a shogun, made in tawain. it seams to be made pretty well. anybody heard of these?
I know this is an old thread, but I just had to respond. I got pretty much the same bike brand new in '88 as a birthday present and replacement for a my first mountain bike which was stolen. My dad works for the Port of Oakland and talked to someone at the factory and got a deal on it. Unfortunately it was a real parts-bin special. Would you believe that it was delivered with two right hand shifters installed and an unidentifiable Shimano front derailleur that my LBS thought might have been meant for a double?

Anyway, I got that bike working right, complete with more identifiable mid-grade Suntour and Shimano components and went riding. My favorite memory of that bike is riding full speed through some brush and finding that I had just ridden off a eight foot cliff. Honest. The friend I was riding with that day and I went back to the base of it and measured with the old standing up next to it and staring up at it method. I couldn't have stopped even if I had wanted to, said friend was right on my heels. And, of course, being young and stupid we went right back up to the top of that hill and did it again, and again. And again. And again some more.

That old bike went right on working without complaint, through three sets of wheels, two sets of derailleurs, cranksets and brakes and enough cheesy Shimano BB's and cranks arms to to put me off of their products forever. Lately, I was using it as a commuter, but I figure that it has more than earned itself a full restoration.
Old 08-25-06, 06:14 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 286 Posts
Out in the workshop right now is a '83 Shogun 400 road bike I'm re-habing for my daughter. Rather nice entry-mid range bike with tange champion #2 tubing and Shimano and SR comps. If it were a 56 rather than a 52 I'd keep it myself....
FWIW, I just got back from a week on Cape Cod and saw more nice old Japanese road bikes on the trails than I'd ever hoped to see again. Mainly ridden by moms and dads while the kids scooted by on their ATBs.
Old 08-25-06, 06:56 AM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
where they crap bikes? or OK bikes?
I got a nice cromo Shogun for $20, which I then traded for a much inferior frame because it was my size (dumb move ).

They were basically just one of many Japanese bike brands that proliferated in the 1980s, as far as I know. Similar to Centurion, Nishiki, Panasonic, Lotus they're no longer in the market today, but made perfectly good bikes. Nothing as special as Bridgestone or Miyata that I've seen. Most of the frames were Tange, and I like the paint schemes and lettering on all the Shoguns that I've seen. I'd happily buy another if it came my way
Old 08-25-06, 09:57 PM
LWaB

Bikes: Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shogun existed for longer in Australia, until just a few years ago. I heard they might still be available as 'forward order' but I'm not in the business anymore.
Old 03-20-16, 02:52 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 921 Posts
Resurrecting an ancient thread to say, guess what I found in our garage? It's MIL's busted down bike that I always ignored, because I thought it was an old Schwinn or something. After lurking around you guys, I thought to take a look and it's a Shogun, series 400! Cro-moly frame, about my size, so it's not going anywhere. There's some rust, but it has all the badges and will make a nice project bike. No, no pics, sorry; camera on the fritz.
Old 03-20-16, 08:21 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Yup, they were around in the 80s then disappeared.
House brand of Seattle Bike Supply maybe? Nothing special, but OK enough.

SP
OC, OR
Old 03-20-16, 09:51 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Well as long as the undead are roaming the forums I may as well mix in a pic:

Because as Andre Agassi was saying around this time, "Images are everything."
Well that's sort of what he said anyway.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 03-20-16, 11:58 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Me too. My 1985 Prairie Breaker I with drop bars swapped in. Seattle area find where Shoguns are still quite common on the secondary market.

● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 03-21-16, 05:29 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 286 Posts

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 04-22-16, 10:29 AM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts

Metro AT with a pannier I built from a German surplus combat pack. I pulled off the fenders to do some trail riding. The saddle was in the LBS in a bin of $15.00 seats taken off of other bikes when the owners updated, and it has pin-striping in an exact match to the mint green frame. That find made me happier than it should have
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (78.5 KB, 715 views)
Old 04-22-16, 11:12 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,041 Times in 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by rando_couche
House brand of Seattle Bike Supply maybe? Nothing special, but OK enough.

SP
OC, OR
I used to think that Shogun were a marketing brand created by Seattle Supply Company too, but recent research indicates Shogun may be a brand of Marui, a Japanese trading company specializing in bicycles. They had been known in Japan for their Orions brand and debuted the Shogun name in the USA circa 1977. The bicycles appear to have been contract manufactured by various sources over the years. The last record of their appearance that I have on file is 1993.
Old 04-22-16, 05:36 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
I have been scouring the Internet for information on my Metro and I can't find a thing. Looks like you can still get a shogun metro in Australia, but now they're aluminum. I wish I could find out what that tubing is.

I suspect it's non butted chromoly main tubing and forks, and the stays are tensile steel or Manganese. The groupo just says Shimano, and it looks like it has plastic parts in the derailleurs. Still, I like it. It rides nice and I like having a basic bike with truck tires I can take under the powerlines.

Makes me want to find a nicer early rigid mountain bike. Cause you know n+1...
Old 04-23-16, 06:55 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 656 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,041 Times in 1,879 Posts
Chr0m0ly, given the apparent era, your assumption on the frame material is not unreasonable. In 1992 the USA had a model called the Metro. It used a Tange CrMo main triangle with Tangalloy forks and stays. If you look at the dropouts there should be a name stamped on them and I wouldn't surprised if it was Tange. If you remove the forks, there would probably be a date code, though we may also be able to discern the year from the serial number and/or component date codes.
Old 04-27-16, 08:06 AM
stebson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you guys think of this Shogun? He says it is made in Japan. ROAD BIKE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.