Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Brand New to Road, Giant Defy 1 or Giant TCR Composite 2?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-13, 04:45 PM
2013Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am brand new to road bikes and haven't been on a bike in 15 years. I am not going to race and want a nice bike and ride to use on various local trails and roads. Don't see myself being on it more than 2 hours. Found a great sales guy at the LBS and I'm leaning towards two bikes. Bikes are the Giant Defy 1 ($1300) and Giant TCR Compostie 2 ($1850).
Both have 105 components, the major differences being aluminum vs carbon and Giant classifies the Defy as "endurance" and the TCR as "race". I like the thought of carbon but not sure the race set up is for me at the beginner stages... LBS did offer to raise the handlebars to be a little more upright on the TCR...and hence comfortable.

I would do the Defy Composite 2 ($1850) to go the Carbon route on an endurance set-up but it comes with SRAM and most friends say go the 105 route hence the TCR direction....

Question is which is the right bike? The $500 difference isnt that big of a deal....

Thank you!
Old 03-16-13, 04:55 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Really, it's impossible to advise you. You need to ride the bikes and see what you like.

If the $500 isn't important, my personal preference would be to go carbon rather than alu. I honestly don't think there is that much to choose between SRAM and 105, mostly people prefer what they are used to and that doesn't apply in your case. If you want me to guess, I'd say the Defy will be more immediately appealing than the TCR (I'm a TCR rider) because it offers a slightly more relaxed geometry without much penalty in terms of performance.

But try them, see what you like.
Old 03-16-13, 05:06 PM
Canadian_giant

Bikes: 1995 Giant Yukon, 2012 Giant TCR Comp 1, 2014 Giant Anyroad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode a Defy 3 for the last 3 years and LOVED it. Like you, I hadn't been on a bike in years and got back into road cycling. This year I was at a Giant corporate store and saw a 2012 TCR Comp 1 on the floor. I took it out for a test ride and had to have it. I sold my Defy and moved over to the TCR as I was longing for a more aggressive bike. I think you need to take both out and see what ride position you like. If you have been pretty sedentary and lack flexibility the Defy might be a better choice.
Old 03-16-13, 06:04 PM
ColtJ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently had to make a similar choice.

My options were:
Giant Defy Composite 3
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant Defy 1
Giant TCR Composite 2

I ended up with the TCR Composite 2. A few trusted friends suggested to go with the carbon frame as i would regret not getting one, once that was established i chose the TCR due to parts.

New cyclist and probably wouldn't know the difference between either but trusted those who know more and went with what seemed to be the better package.

Last edited by ColtJ; 03-16-13 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-16-13, 06:11 PM
LDB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get a dollar somewhere and add to my comments and they'll be worth coffee. That said, I'm of the camp that carbon is tough but delicate and if/when damaged easily ruined comparatively. I'd go aluminum.
Old 03-16-13, 08:00 PM
Rockenreno

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's your first bike, you don't need carbon. I rode a Defy 1 for 3 years and it was/is a great bike. I only upgraded to carbon when I started racing, and then I learned that I should have just bought a CAAD10 like every other crit racer.

I still have the Defy set up in my living room as a trainer bike.
Old 03-16-13, 09:47 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LDB
Get a dollar somewhere and add to my comments and they'll be worth coffee. That said, I'm of the camp that carbon is tough but delicate and if/when damaged easily ruined comparatively. I'd go aluminum.
"Carbon is tough but delicate". OK, let's ignore the fact that carbon has been the material of choice for serious performance bikes for well over a decade.

OP, pay no attention to those who tell you that this or that material is essential/fragile/unnecessary. Buy the bike that suits you.
Old 03-16-13, 10:45 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Test ride. If you can't tell the difference, save your $ and get the Defy. Fit is most important. Once you have a few miles under your belt, you'll find yourself spending more time riding in the drops, which is where you'll notice the most difference. You'll probably be more leaned over on the TCR. Shorter stem provides a bit of more upright riding position. Both are great bikes and you can't go wrong with either bike.