Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

does this sound nut ODC as winter approaches

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-14, 06:01 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 122 Posts

Around here there is no hills just county roads which I ride. But now winter is getting things dark and windy as usual in the midwest. Well I have this subdivision where I live that has 2 loops of about 1.7 miles and 1.3. I can ride these loops with no traffic to worry, the road is smooth, no hills, but I can keep doing a criterion for as many miles as I want. I do this sometimes as it gets dark when I leave early AM and then as sun comes up go on out to the county road right near. I have a good light and frankly I really do not mind doing the loops as you can ride no stop never put the foot down and simply go till you get whatever you want.

So here is the question. I am thinking that frankly I need to get past the road cycling thing and admit that this is really ok. I am spinning and riding and better than a trainer inside, but I feel like I am cheating. The neighborhood houses blocks the wind pretty good and being a loop I also get at least 1/2 the loop on my side of the wind. I have great pavement and really no traffic so why not take it as a gift. The other part of me says this is just avoiding the real elements and I need to just HTFU. Being a runner also I can run in the winter but sometimes with age my legs are getting slow for running and I probably should ride and not run as much. My tendency in winter is to simply to ride only weekends but this loop has me thinking I could go out tomorrow at 5:15 am in the pitch dark and ride for basically almost 2 hours and get in 32-37miles depending. In fact as long as the snow and ice are not around this can work.

Then another part of me says you crazy deacon with OCD just take a few weeks off or ride bit on the trainer and sweat up a store. This can only happen on BF. Anyone else have these crazy small loops they do in addition to my question.
Old 10-21-14, 06:07 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Around here there is no hills just county roads which I ride. But now winter is getting things dark and windy as usual in the midwest. Well I have this subdivision where I live that has 2 loops of about 1.7 miles and 1.3. I can ride these loops with no traffic to worry, the road is smooth, no hills, but I can keep doing a criterion for as many miles as I want. I do this sometimes as it gets dark when I leave early AM and then as sun comes up go on out to the county road right near. I have a good light and frankly I really do not mind doing the loops as you can ride no stop never put the foot down and simply go till you get whatever you want.

So here is the question. I am thinking that frankly I need to get past the road cycling thing and admit that this is really ok. I am spinning and riding and better than a trainer inside, but I feel like I am cheating. The neighborhood houses blocks the wind pretty good and being a loop I also get at least 1/2 the loop on my side of the wind. I have great pavement and really no traffic so why not take it as a gift. The other part of me says this is just avoiding the real elements and I need to just HTFU. Being a runner also I can run in the winter but sometimes with age my legs are getting slow for running and I probably should ride and not run as much. My tendency in winter is to simply to ride only weekends but this loop has me thinking I could go out tomorrow at 5:15 am in the pitch dark and ride for basically almost 2 hours and get in 32-37miles depending. In fact as long as the snow and ice are not around this can work.

Then another part of me says you crazy deacon with OCD just take a few weeks off or ride bit on the trainer and sweat up a store. This can only happen on BF. Anyone else have these crazy small loops they do in addition to my question.
You are nuts. Ride where you feel like riding. Don't ride where you don't. What could be simpler. This isn't metaphysics, it's exercise.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 10-21-14, 06:29 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Why not mix it up?

Ride outside on your little loop or longer distances whenever you want.

Do intervals on the trainer sometimes.

Join a spinning class once a week.

Be active in other ways ... running, winter sports, etc.
Old 10-21-14, 06:40 PM
Zuzus pedals

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
FWIW, I've got a loop that's only 1.052 miles and I've done hard solo efforts of up to 40 miles on it. Of course, I actually have OCD (a severe case of it at that), but insanity notwithstanding, I can always tell myself that it's not much different than doing a bunch of laps in a crit race. And Jens Voigt just rode for an hour around a 250m lap, so where's the lunacy in doing far fewer loops in the great outdoors?
Old 10-21-14, 06:51 PM
Igualmente

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As someone who has months of winter with snow, ice and winds, I'd say take it as a gift. I'd want to break up the monotony of loops, but I can see them having a purpose.
Old 10-21-14, 07:01 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Half way through, turn around and go the other direction...
Old 10-21-14, 07:26 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Be active in other ways ... running, winter sports, etc.
Exercising off the bike? What are you talking about?

That's crazy talk.
Old 10-21-14, 07:44 PM
bengreen79
Allez means go.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You will be "that weird guy who keeps riding his bike around the block" to your neighbors. There are worse things.
Old 10-21-14, 08:17 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Find a safe group night ride that will get you on those country roads?
Old 10-21-14, 08:37 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If weather permits: riding a bike > not riding a bike
Old 10-21-14, 10:28 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I have a 1.8 mi loop in my neighborhood. I do 5 laps at max effort once a week. I like getting the time feedback on how I am doing.

scott s.
Old 10-21-14, 11:12 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Maybe you could race some of the neighborhood kids to make it more difficult.
Old 10-22-14, 04:23 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
build a ramp up onto the roof of your house, do the loop on a bmx bike and practice flips off the roof of your house would be my vote.
Old 10-22-14, 04:54 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

When I was at my cycling peak in both quantity and quality in the late '80s, I was getting about 1/2 my 6,000 annual miles on a 2.5 mile loop that started a couple of blocks from my house. It was the perfect after-work route expecially in the winter when darkness was encroaching on my riding interval. The loop was about 40% MUP, 40% quiet neighborhood, and the rest main streets connecting the two. I would do eight laps about three or four times a week after work. Longer city and country rides were reserved for the weekends. Not ideal, a little boring, but very effective. It was there that I first turned in a less than one hour time for the 20 miles. Sweet.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-22-14, 06:02 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Its CDO man, at least get the order correct, jeese.
I doubt many of your neighbors realize you make laps around the area, most are too busy watching the idiot box or have their noses stuck in their smartphone's screen. I have a 3 mile loop section in my regular route I can use for some criterium style laps to make things different and keep it interesting when I am riding, I add a few laps in to bring up the mileage while doing sprints. The folks there are used to seeing me do this every couple of days and just wave as I go by. if it keeps you riding and logging miles, do it.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 10-22-14, 06:08 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I personally couldn't do such short loops. But if you can, you should.
Old 10-22-14, 06:52 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
What difference does it make if it's OCD or not? And why ask a forum where probably half of them have OCD to begin with? Do what you think you should do. Don't seek approval.

I run as well as ride, and I have, on occasion, taken a circuitous route around a parking lot at a local park where the snow is usually cleared, 20-30 times to get my mileage in for the day. OCD? Whatever.

My first reaction after reading your first paragraph, OP, envy.
Old 10-22-14, 06:57 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zuzus pedals
FWIW, I've got a loop that's only 1.052 miles and I've done hard solo efforts of up to 40 miles on it. Of course, I actually have OCD (a severe case of it at that), but insanity notwithstanding, I can always tell myself that it's not much different than doing a bunch of laps in a crit race. And Jens Voigt just rode for an hour around a 250m lap, so where's the lunacy in doing far fewer loops in the great outdoors?
Yes, you do.

I can only imagine what the misspelling of the thread title is doing to you .

Yes, I put that space before the period in on purpose just to mess with you, but you seem like a good sport.
Old 10-22-14, 07:03 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I met a guy in a neighborhood near my house that rides a 3.1 mile loop. He trains for full Ironmans there and even got ready for a 100 mile roller blading/skating event on it. So I started riding it too. Nobody notices me because he's the insane one always out.
Old 10-22-14, 07:04 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by thump55
Yes, you do.

I can only imagine what the misspelling of the thread title is doing to you .

Yes, I put that space before the period in on purpose just to mess with you, but you seem like a good sport.
Hehe

That's so bad.
Old 10-22-14, 07:18 AM
rpenmanparker 

At Memorial Park in Houston there is a 1.17 mi loop with both right and left turns. Its a full sized street, smooth asphalt. No cars most of the time. Mostly cyclists and a few skaters. They run crits on it late in the afternoon on Wednesdays in the summer. It isn't ideal, but sure is welcome when it is 10 degrees cooler than the open streets in the summer or when the wind is cut down a few mph by the trees. Nice controlled environment for trying out new gear as you are never more than a half mile or so from your car. 20 miles isn't too onerous despite the short course. These things do have a purpose.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 10-27-14, 12:41 AM
ericleecw

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't have OCD. But Riding in loops can be good for training purposes. Around my neighborhood, there is a 1.5 mile loop that has 3% incline on one side and -3% on the other side. I've been doing that during the summer and plan to do that during the winter as well. Quick one hour ride to get 20 miles in.

The neighbors think I am crazy and i always yell out "Vamos" when i pass a 4 year old on training wheels. :-)