Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What did you do for your Hybrid today

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

What did you do for your Hybrid today

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-18, 12:53 AM
TMassimo

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon '16

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DowneasTTer
You might want to check out my thread of a couple of years ago about the 4 seasons. btw: I'm still running them on both mine and my wife's CoMax 1's. Pricey but in this case "you get what you pay for" IMO

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bi...set-tires.html

Wow, not even one puncture... nice! Pictures don't do it justice to the quality of this tyre. I paid £33 for it... but it's definitely worth it. I'm going to change the front tire too as soon as the LBS has it in stock.
Old 03-26-18, 07:37 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
What did I do to my hybrid today? Picked it up off of me after my first crash in years about 4 miles from the end of what ended up being a 19 mile ride. Right ankle is jacked, right knee had a puncture and is badly bruised along with the right elbow, but thankfully no head impact, collarbone, or road rash. Was able to ride it home. Sore as heck this morning, but the bruising matches the blue on my hybrid...
Old 03-26-18, 11:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by camjr
Picked it up off of me after my first crash in years
oh man, sorry to hear that, get well soon. how did you manage to do that?
Old 03-26-18, 01:17 PM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh man, sorry to hear that, get well soon. how did you manage to do that?
I had to stop suddenly because of a dog, and the rocks I was on slid out from under me. I was not able to get my feet out of the clips fast enough. At least I was at or close to a dead stop. I fell off of rocks onto an exposed aggregate concrete walkway about 8+ below the surface I was riding on.
Old 03-26-18, 03:31 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by camjr
I had to stop suddenly because of a dog, and the rocks I was on slid out from under me. I was not able to get my feet out of the clips fast enough. At least I was at or close to a dead stop. I fell off of rocks onto an exposed aggregate concrete walkway about 8+ below the surface I was riding on.
OUCH ! At least all your injuries were below the waist, and your melon was unharmed. Hoping you have a quick recovery and get back on the bike soon.
Old 03-26-18, 08:34 PM
axxman

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Kenevo SL exp2017 Specialized Expert carbon X1 2016 Specialized Trek 8.6 DS, Previously owned 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper comp carbo Trek 4500, 2019 Canyon Urban 5.0, Diamondback, Ross Apollo 5speed, Huffy? Research Dynamics(stolen)

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First long ride of the year, weather has been bad every weekend.

Old 03-27-18, 07:55 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by axxman
First long ride of the year, weather has been bad every weekend.
slick fenders!
Old 03-27-18, 07:59 AM
humansoul

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my ride as she sits right now. Sorry, I'll get better pics once I get a chance to ride outdoors...so for now it's in the garage. I'm new to the forums and had upgraded from a Giant Rincon that I converted to a hybrid, but I wanted something a little lighter and upgraded to the Giant Toughroad SLR 2.

So far, just added Ergon GP2 grips, switched the pedals to Shimano A530 to be able to clipless or not on shorter rides. Aside from that, probably will add a side mirror to view my kids when trailing them from behind and just waiting for Spring here in Toronto to try out the ride on more paths and trails.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20180312_173819.jpg (773.4 KB, 678 views)
20180327_084823.jpg (898.0 KB, 691 views)
Old 03-27-18, 06:17 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by humansoul
Here's my ride as she sits right now. Sorry, I'll get better pics once I get a chance to ride outdoors...so for now it's in the garage. I'm new to the forums and had upgraded from a Giant Rincon that I converted to a hybrid, but I wanted something a little lighter and upgraded to the Giant Toughroad SLR 2.

So far, just added Ergon GP2 grips, switched the pedals to Shimano A530 to be able to clipless or not on shorter rides. Aside from that, probably will add a side mirror to view my kids when trailing them from behind and just waiting for Spring here in Toronto to try out the ride on more paths and trails.

Both of your bikes look great.
Old 03-28-18, 07:23 AM
SpeedRanger

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 18 Posts
Converting a Cannondale CAAD9 to a hybrid using MTB riser bars. So far I added Tektron brake levers, Ergon GE1 grips and Tiagra 2x10 speed shifters.

Last edited by SpeedRanger; 09-19-21 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-28-18, 11:27 AM
TMassimo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
got some accessories... I should have got the floor pump much sooner.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Tacx-Shanti...0cc_110449.htm
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Tacx-Tao-Ul...Cage_40565.htm
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Aero...edium_1113.htm
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Joe-...Pump_15827.htm
Old 04-01-18, 01:52 PM
desmodue

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Bolted on new grippy pedals to replace the cheapy stockers
Attached Images
VP001.jpg (236.2 KB, 614 views)

Last edited by desmodue; 04-01-18 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-03-18, 08:14 AM
TMassimo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Fizik Antares - got a good deal on eBay

Old 04-07-18, 02:11 PM
MK79

Bikes: Orange Five (2018 - Custom Build) Merida Crossway 300 (2016), Raleigh Storm (2014)

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Changed winter tires to summer ones. Tomorrow it's time to Wash'n Clean the bike.
Old 04-07-18, 04:49 PM
muddyrock

Bikes: 2019 Trek X-Caliber 8 and 2019 Trek FX2

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Added ISC Helicopter tape to stop cable rub on my Trek FX S 4

and on the fork

I can supply the link to amazon for the tape if anyone is interested.
Old 04-09-18, 08:16 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Changed out the front rack for an Origin8 flat rack, new rear wheel, updated the cockpit with different bar ends and a coffee/beer cage. Also tightened the shifter cables because I'm being too lazy to change them.
Attached Images
marin040818.jpg (379.5 KB, 529 views)
Old 04-10-18, 07:34 AM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpeedRanger
Converting a Cannondale CAAD9 to a hybrid using MTB riser bars. So far I added Tektron brake levers, Ergon GE1 grips and Tiagra 2x10 speed shifters.
Oooh this should be fun!
Old 04-14-18, 02:26 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Installed new Conti Crossrides and tested

Tested my new Conti Crossrides (think the new ones are now called AT's?) on the C&O today. Nice tires, I'm not sliding like I did with my Triggers I had. More grip and more comfortable ride. I put 75psi in rear and 70 in front. I'm still a clyde so, didn't want to do any less than that. But purposely hit every tree root and rock, which there was a a lot of around the Sheperdstown WV area. They did very well, but this was a dry run. Will need to wait until the trail is wet to see how well they do in the muddy conditions.

Few things that did concern me, I bought them thinking 42mm, I measured it under 40mm. Also, the pictures, including mine makes the knobs look bigger. When seeing it person, they are smaller, so I was surprised when I received these. But otherwise, good tire!

Also put on the Ergon GP-3's and well, am now kind of wishes I went with the GP-5, or a different bar end. Wishing the bar ends were a bit longer and maybe larger. I thinking I should have just gotten the GP-1 and bought something like the Specialized overendz bar ends.

Old 04-14-18, 05:53 PM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Tested my new Conti Crossrides (think the new ones are now called AT's?) on the C&O today. Nice tires, I'm not sliding like I did with my Triggers I had. More grip and more comfortable ride. I put 75psi in rear and 70 in front. I'm still a clyde so, didn't want to do any less than that. But purposely hit every tree root and rock, which there was a a lot of around the Sheperdstown WV area. They did very well, but this was a dry run. Will need to wait until the trail is wet to see how well they do in the muddy conditions.

Few things that did concern me, I bought them thinking 42mm, I measured it under 40mm. Also, the pictures, including mine makes the knobs look bigger. When seeing it person, they are smaller, so I was surprised when I received these. But otherwise, good tire!

Also put on the Ergon GP-3's and well, am now kind of wishes I went with the GP-5, or a different bar end. Wishing the bar ends were a bit longer and maybe larger. I thinking I should have just gotten the GP-1 and bought something like the Specialized overendz bar ends.

Thanks for that. How did you find the Cross Rides on the road? Do they feel any sluggish? Also how supple or stiff do they feel?

About bar ends, it's really hard to get it right without actually putting your hands on them, preferably installed on a handlebar and where you can simulate your riding position. I recently ran across a pair of grips with integrated bar ends similar to ergons but made by BBB. I was particularly impressed with the bar ends. They felt really comfortable and I liked how there was space to rest your thumbs. I've always found that grips with integrated barends such as ergons missed that feature.
Old 04-14-18, 06:39 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
I have the GP-1 on my Verve and have aftermarket bar ends right next to them. Frankly, I find the comfort just the same, even without the smooth transition offered by the Ergon integrated product. I had the GP-3 on another bike and then put them on one of my daughter's bikes -- they were just a hair too small for what I wanted.

Bike looks good, and the C&O was probably a blast today. My wife had a girlfriend in town and we did some sightseeing today, but I'll join you on the towpath next time!
Old 04-14-18, 08:05 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by andrei_r
Thanks for that. How did you find the Cross Rides on the road? Do they feel any sluggish? Also how supple or stiff do they feel?

About bar ends, it's really hard to get it right without actually putting your hands on them, preferably installed on a handlebar and where you can simulate your riding position. I recently ran across a pair of grips with integrated bar ends similar to ergons but made by BBB. I was particularly impressed with the bar ends. They felt really comfortable and I liked how there was space to rest your thumbs. I've always found that grips with integrated barends such as ergons missed that feature.
I didn't test these tires yet on pavement. I actually now have 3 sets of tires, My road going Nimbus, the Triggers which are good for combination of road and trail and now these Cross Roads which I feel are better on gravel trails only. Since these have the little knobs, I'm not so comfortable on doing a lot of pavement riding with these. I've seen knobby tires loose tread real quick when primarily ride pavement. (My son did this with his bike and I had to buy 2 new sets of tires for his mountain bike after he wore out the WTB knobbies in only 3 months).
Old 04-14-18, 08:10 PM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I have the GP-1 on my Verve and have aftermarket bar ends right next to them. Frankly, I find the comfort just the same, even without the smooth transition offered by the Ergon integrated product. I had the GP-3 on another bike and then put them on one of my daughter's bikes -- they were just a hair too small for what I wanted.

Bike looks good, and the C&O was probably a blast today. My wife had a girlfriend in town and we did some sightseeing today, but I'll join you on the towpath next time!
Thanks! Will be testing some different bar ends the next year until I find something that feels good to me.

The C&O was great, but busy. There was some major cleanup going on since someone dumped a whole lot of junk in the canal:

(Interesting, my link to the C&O facebook page will not show up here)

Facebook Post " data-width="500" data-show-text="true" data-lazy="true">
Facebook Post " class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore">Facebook Post

This was the first time I have ever had to go around a group of people whom were herding dogs. Fortunately they were all friendly dogs.....the people too.

Last edited by travbikeman; 04-14-18 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-15-18, 10:29 AM
andrei_r

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Finally wrapped the bullhorn style bar ends:

Replaced the old promax brakes with shimanoes. Not that the promax's were bad, but the shimano ones despite being nothing fancy are nicer (the pivots, the springs and the adjustment screws). Kept the old clarks pads.

Replaced the 26T granny with a 24T one. Got to test it today and it was very useful:

And finally replaced the plastic bottom bracket spacers with aluminum ones. Now I can really torque the cups properly without the spacers getting all crushed and deformed:

Last edited by andrei_r; 04-15-18 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-15-18, 07:55 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by andrei_r
Finally wrapped the bullhorn style bar ends:

Great handlebar setup.
Old 04-15-18, 08:08 PM
andrei_r

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Great handlebar setup.
Thanks. It took several trial and error iterations to get it right. The next thing I want to do is to get a slightly wider bar, around 62cm instead of 58cm and a redshift shockstop stem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.