Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need Strong Nipples! (no pun int)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 11:17 AM
bobin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

So I ordered a batch of crappy DT Swiss nips for a build without reading the amazon reviews. Yep, once I got the tension going on my Hed C2/DT Comp Spokes - a couple of the nips stripped, the black stripped off almost immediately. The metal seems too soft. Now I have to take apart the whole thing again! UGH. Recommend me some kick-a nips!
Old 03-20-19, 11:34 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
Use a real spoke wrench, not a screw driver.
Old 03-20-19, 11:41 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18351 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Odd, brass nipples are usually considered good.

How long are your spokes?

On the rear (multi-speed), one usually does longer spokes on the right, and shorter (2mm shorter?) on the left.

Length of the spoke should extend 100% though the nipple, and up to the top of the groove when tightened, at least for double wall rims.

I'm not seeing enlarged photos, but the spokes appear too short in that review you linked.
Old 03-20-19, 11:50 AM
CliffordK

I haven't bought black brass nipples. Any black nipple I've used was anodized aluminum.

There are methods of achieving black chrome.
https://www.bendplating.com/black-chrome-vs-black-pvd/
Black Chrome Plating | Black Chrome Plating Suppliers | Metal Plating Company | Arlington Plating Company

However, I wonder if the nipples you got were simply painted.
Old 03-20-19, 11:56 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Well, to be fair, the Amazon guy was a dumbass. The screwdriver flats are only for getting the nipple threaded on most of the way. They are NOT for final tensioning.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-20-19, 01:24 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Get one of these: https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/store/pk-lie-spoke-wrench/
Old 03-20-19, 03:31 PM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I haven't bought black brass nipples. Any black nipple I've used was anodized aluminum.

There are methods of achieving black chrome.
https://www.bendplating.com/black-chrome-vs-black-pvd/
Black Chrome Plating | Black Chrome Plating Suppliers | Metal Plating Company | Arlington Plating Company

However, I wonder if the nipples you got were simply painted.
I've built up a couple of wheels with black brass nipples. DT even. Specifically these since I didn't want the alloy ones that came with the DT rims. I don't know how they achieved the black color, but I assume it was PVD or something.

Yeah, screwdrivers used in the flats. I got a used bike that I wanted to change the hub on, but keep the spokes and nipples. The spoke heads were destroyed at the flats. I assume the machine building the wheels was a fault there.

edit: my used bike's spoke heads were even worse than in the Amazon review. Yeah, that reviewer wasn't using a spoke wrench- that tool is only for getting the nipples started.

Last edited by Geekage; 03-20-19 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-20-19, 03:33 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Black Brass Nipples.

Hmm... good name for a punk band?
Old 03-20-19, 03:48 PM
CliffordK

One can buy brass hex head nipples.

For example Sapim Brand which does also come in black.

https://www.jejamescycles.com/sapim-...r-tmm8539.html

Then it would be a matter of finding a socket or nut driver that would fit into the spoke holes and fit the nipples.

Some brands also have a square drive, or reverse torx drive which might play better with the spoke holes in double walled rims.

Old 03-20-19, 03:57 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Do you have a wheel building machine? I believe that's what those above are for, .... .in double wall rims..

I just use Brass. nips ,

they're strong enough to over tighten & crack your rim.. dont need more than that ...
Old 03-21-19, 06:07 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I've used DT nickel-plated brass nipples for 40 years and never had stripped threads. Any problem I've had was my fault: I have rounded a few of them (using wrong spoke wrench) and had a few pop off when tensioning (Don't use 14g nipples for 15g spokes),

One star reviews on Amazon are entertaining. Kinda like preliminary qualification for competing for the Darwin award.
Old 04-02-19, 03:54 PM
bobin

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
Don't use 14g nipples for 15g spokes),.
maybe I ordered wrong nips? I need nips for DT Comp spokes!
Old 04-02-19, 04:14 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by bobin
maybe I ordered wrong nips? I need nips for DT Comp spokes!
Which ones? DT Comps come in both 2.0/1.8/2.0 and 1.8/1.6/1.8.
Old 04-02-19, 04:49 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
That is a much better configuration for a spoke wrench than the normal 3 sided version. Alternatively, I'd suggest Wheel Fanantyk splined nipples over any square nipple. Much easier to work with, will take higher tension and won't round out.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-03-19, 09:43 AM
bobin

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott

Which ones? DT Comps come in both 2.0/1.8/2.0 and 1.8/1.6/1.8.
Right! Darwin. 2.0/1.8/2.0 I believe.
Old 04-04-19, 01:48 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6939 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
Black Brass Nipples.

Hmm... good name for a punk band?
Best post in the whole thread.
Old 04-04-19, 05:09 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Old 04-06-19, 07:42 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
On the rear (multi-speed), one usually does longer spokes on the right, and shorter (2mm shorter?) on the left.
Unless I'm misunderstanding, this is backwards, right? To use non-ambiguous terminology, wouldn't a dished rear wheel use shorter spokes on the drive side ("right") and longer spokes on the non-drive side ("left")?
Old 04-06-19, 07:49 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Unless I'm misunderstanding, this is backwards, right? To use non-ambiguous terminology, wouldn't a dished rear wheel use shorter spokes on the drive side ("right") and longer spokes on the non-drive side ("left")?
Right and left are ambiguous and depend on what angle you are viewing the bike. Drive Side and non-Drive side are non-ambiguous and should be used. Yes, you are correct. Dished wheels will usually have shorter spokes on the drive side; however there may be some really odd configuration (e.g. shaft drive) where that may not be the case.
Old 04-06-19, 08:36 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Right and left are ambiguous and depend on what angle you are viewing the bike. Drive Side and non-Drive side are non-ambiguous and should be used. Yes, you are correct. Dished wheels will usually have shorter spokes on the drive side; however there may be some really odd configuration (e.g. shaft drive) where that may not be the case.
I’ll have to disagree. Bikes are directional with a defined front/rear and right/left. That makes right and left unambiguous. By convention, we put the drive side on the right on all bikes.

As for any variants away from using shorter spokes on the right side of the wheel, they are rare enough as to be nonexistent.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-06-19, 08:59 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Originally Posted by cyccommute

I’ll have to disagree. Bikes are directional with a defined front/rear and right/left. That makes right and left unambiguous. By convention, we put the drive side on the right on all bikes.

As for any variants away from using shorter spokes on the right side of the wheel, they are rare enough as to be nonexistent.
Yes, bikes are directional and most would assume that right and left are defined by a viewer facing in the direction that bikes travel; however this is still an assumption and thus injects ambiguity. Using DS and NDS in the context of the posed question makes no assumptions and therefore is clearly unambiguous. Also, there are more left side drive bikes than you may imagine, so DS and NDS eliminate any confusion.

Old 04-07-19, 08:58 AM
cyccommute 

Yes, bikes are directional and most would assume that right and left are defined by a viewer facing in the direction that bikes travel; however this is still an assumption and thus injects ambiguity. Using DS and NDS in the context of the posed question makes no assumptions and therefore is clearly unambiguous. Also, there are more left side drive bikes than you may imagine, so DS and NDS eliminate any confusion.
You are splitting hairs here. The number of bikes like the one above are vanishingly small. There may be a few specialized bikes that have left hand drive like the above but they are so few that people won’t encounter them in just about any situation. In the case of the bike above, you’d have to point out that it has the drivetrain on the left side because it is a rarity.

But there would be no need to discuss shorter spokes in the that case above for a couple of reasons. First, the bike has only a trivially dished wheel since it is a track bike. Different spoke lengths aren’t necessary for a single speed wheel. Second, does the wheel on that bike even have spokes? I can’t tell if the wheel is a cover or not.

My point is still valid. There is no ambiguity with using “right” and “left” sides of bicycles.

Old 04-07-19, 05:56 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Originally Posted by cyccommute
My point is still valid. There is a bit of ambiguity with using “right” and “left” sides of bicycles, but in the context presented, this ambiguity is eliminated by using DS and NDS.
Fixed it for you.

When sailing we use port and starboard to eliminate the ambiguity of right and left. Port and starboard are linked by definition to the orientation of the vessel while left and right are relative to the orientation of the viewer. Telling a crew member to move toward starboard will assure the desired result regardless of which direction he or she is facing.

Yes you would be correct that most people (including me) will, under most circumstances, understand what you mean by the right side of a bike. Your argument seems to be that "all" people, under "all" circumstances, will understand and that simply is not completely reliable. It's not splitting hairs when commenting on the difference between 95% reliable vs. 100%.
Old 04-08-19, 07:28 AM
cyccommute 

I’ll just muddy the waters a bit more. There, I “fixed” your post for you. Two can play this game.
When sailing we use port and starboard to eliminate the ambiguity of right and left. Port and starboard are linked by definition to the orientation of the vessel while left and right are relative to the orientation of the viewer. Telling a crew member to move toward starboard will assure the desired result regardless of which direction he or she is facing.
You also refer to the bow and stern or front and rear. It doesn’t matter what you call the left or right side of a boat or a bike or a car because they are all directional. They all have a left and right side that is unambiguous without any other designation. “Port” and “starboard” are just conventions used like putting the drive side on the right for bicycles.

Yes you would be correct that most people (including me) will, under most circumstances, understand what you mean by the right side of a bike. Your argument seems to be that "all" people, under "all" circumstances, will understand and that simply is not completely reliable. It's not splitting hairs when commenting on the difference between 95% reliable vs. 100%.
If 5% of bicycles had left hand drives you might have a point. But the number of bicycles with left hand drives is vanishingly small. I work at my local co-op and see roughly 1500 bikes per year. Over the 10 years I’ve volunteered there, I’ve put hands on 15,000 bicycles. At a 5% rate, I should have seen 750 bicycles with left hand drives or 7.5 per year. I have yet to see a single left hand drive. Until you posted the above picture, I didn’t even know that any were made. And that one is relatively new and, from what I can see in other photos of track events, a rarity.

I would put the rate of left hand drive bicycles that anyone might encounter at far less than 0.0000001% of bicycles. That’s low enough that I’m on very firm ground saying that “all” bicycles have right hand drive.

Old 04-08-19, 08:59 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Adding to the urinating contest: the bike in the pic is single speed, so any spokes, if used, can be of equal length - minimum dishing.

I like Unior spoke keys - they are relatively cheap and fit very well:
Unior d.d. | Hand tools

As for nipples - Sapim, or DT swiss brass ones are both excellent in my experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.