Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Bike fitters in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 01:04 AM
rgr555

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike fitters in NYC?

Are there any recommended bike fitters that do bike fitting for $100-200 range? Physical therapy professionals? Professional bike fitters?

Has anyone dialed in using just a trainer and video recordings of yourself riding?

My hands get numb, crotch can get numb in the drops, and neck shoulder gets tight after 30+ mile rides. Shorter rides I feel fine. Did all the basic fit adjustments but hard to get it right with no problems.

Last edited by rgr555; 06-24-19 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-27-19, 10:25 AM
baronvonoz

Bikes: canyon Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race CX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
had an amazing bike fit at sid's bikes, can't recommend them enough
Old 07-11-19, 02:36 PM
LawSchweiin

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Not far outside New York is Fit Werx. I had a fitting done by Joe there and he's very thorough.
Old 07-11-19, 05:46 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 989 Posts
@baronvonoz and @LawSchweiin, can you share why you recommend your fitters? What were your goals, how did they assess and recommend? How have the results been over time? I appreciate anything you can share.

I've been thinking about getting fitted, and I've heard good things about Happy Freedman at the Hospital for Special Surgery. I haven't been fitted in a few decades, and when I did they found little to change. However I'm now in my 60s, my body has changed, and I want to keep it biomechanically healthy. I'm a little concerned that in some places it's as much of a way to funnel folks towards purchases more than optimizing. I'm pretty good at achieving a good fit but I believe an objective assessment has great value.

Old 07-12-19, 08:17 AM
baronvonoz

Bikes: canyon Inflite AL SLX 8.0 Pro Race CX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ascherer
@baronvonoz and @LawSchweiin, can you share why you recommend your fitters? What were your goals, how did they assess and recommend? How have the results been over time? I appreciate anything you can share.

I've been thinking about getting fitted, and I've heard good things about Happy Freedman at the Hospital for Special Surgery. I haven't been fitted in a few decades, and when I did they found little to change. However I'm now in my 60s, my body has changed, and I want to keep it biomechanically healthy. I'm a little concerned that in some places it's as much of a way to funnel folks towards purchases more than optimizing. I'm pretty good at achieving a good fit but I believe an objective assessment has great value.
Full disclosure, I've only really been riding a road bike seriously for about two years, aside from a stint on tri bikes about a decade ago. I've never had a proper fit, and with the weather warming up earlier this year, I really wanted to get one to deal with the lower/mid back pain that I was having — and which made rides over 2 hours pretty miserable.

Sid's fit is a classic style (and much more affordable than some of the $400+ services out there — not a critique, just a different approach). After talking through my history, past injuries, goals, etc... they immediately found that my seat was far too high, tilting too much weight onto my arms, which in turn sent road shocks directly to my back and shoulders. Also realized instantly that my bike was a size too big for me — I bought it used. They were torn on recommending a shorter stem for my arms; it could work, but they also didn't want to immediately change up everything. So they sent me on my way with a serious seat adjustment, no fee, and a suggestion I ride a few hundred miles to get a feel for it, and then come back if I'm thinking new stem.

Nothing about it felt rushed or funneled towards buying anything, and after a few days of getting used to the changes, I was pretty shocked to see how much more explosive power I had for quick acceleration, and was hitting PRs on some of my usual segments. More importantly, the lower back pain is gone. Hope this helps!

Last edited by baronvonoz; 07-12-19 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-12-19, 07:36 PM
ascherer 

Bikes: 1987 Mercian Pro, 1985 Shogun 500, early '70s Falcon San Remo, 1972 Peugeot PX-10, 1972 Schwinn Paramount P13-9, 1971 Raleigh International, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1970 Raleigh Professional Mk1

Originally Posted by baronvonoz
Full disclosure, I've only really been riding a road bike seriously for about two years, aside from a stint on tri bikes about a decade ago. I've never had a proper fit, and with the weather warming up earlier this year, I really wanted to get one to deal with the lower/mid back pain that I was having — and which made rides over 2 hours pretty miserable.

Sid's fit is a classic style (and much more affordable than some of the $400+ services out there — not a critique, just a different approach). After talking through my history, past injuries, goals, etc... they immediately found that my seat was far too high, tilting too much weight onto my arms, which in turn sent road shocks directly to my back and shoulders. Also realized instantly that my bike was a size too big for me — I bought it used. They were torn on recommending a shorter stem for my arms; it could work, but they also didn't want to immediately change up everything. So they sent me on my way with a serious seat adjustment, no fee, and a suggestion I ride a few hundred miles to get a feel for it, and then come back if I'm thinking new stem.

Nothing about it felt rushed or funneled towards buying anything, and after a few days of getting used to the changes, I was pretty shocked to see how much more explosive power I had for quick acceleration, and was hitting PRs on some of my usual segments. More importantly, the lower back pain is gone. Hope this helps!
Sounds like a great outcome, thanks for the info.
Old 07-13-19, 03:45 PM
LawSchweiin

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ascherer

As I mentioned, I had a great fitting with Joe at Fit Werx in Ridgefield Park, NJ. They're expensive, but he literally takes 3-4 hours with you. I've also worked with some fitters in Europe, but those likely won't be of much help to you.
Old 07-14-19, 12:50 PM
ascherer 

Originally Posted by LawSchweiin
As I mentioned, I had a great fitting with Joe at Fit Werx in Ridgefield Park, NJ. They're expensive, but he literally takes 3-4 hours with you. I've also worked with some fitters in Europe, but those likely won't be of much help to you.
Thanks!