Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-09, 07:10 PM
PatrickT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked this up off of craigslist for a little over $100. Being new to classic road bikes, I didn't know what I had until I brought it to the LBS for a tune up and they couldn't believe I got the bike for what I did. I think I got a good deal...do you?

It's a 1984 (I think) Trek 400 in gorgeous shape (with some nice components).

Old 09-05-09, 07:15 PM
divineAndbright

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Frejus looks like a catch in a half!

PatrickT: Nice hell of a deal. Hows the rear derailleur? I was curious if the pivots are solid, I bought one of those on ebay while back and think I got ripped off, too bad I left *** feedback before I actually tried it out, not like I can complain after the fact!
Old 09-06-09, 06:33 AM
DavidW56

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
A couple of weeks ago I went to "The Great American Garage Sale", a huge church fundraiser in a mall parking lot. They traditionally have a lot of bikes at these things and this one was on par with past years. I arrived an hour early with my daughter and a neice only to find ourselves 150-200 people back. Not everyone is there for the bikes mind you, but many of them were. Of the 75+ bikes they had, 65 were snatched up in the first 15 minutes. By the time we got in the really good stuff was gone, we did manage to get 6 bikes though.....A nice womans Peugeot, a Schwinn Super Sport, a womans 87 Schwinn Traveller, a Raleigh Sprite 27, a Bottecchia mixte and a Hercules road bike missing a front wheel. When the guy checked me out he added up the prices on Peugeot, SS and the Traveller and the other 3 he said free, free, free.....here's pics of the Super Sport and the Sprite.
There's nothing better than free, free, free! That's great!
Old 09-06-09, 06:39 AM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
So today I got better pics of the trike. no clue what brand the back end is. however the road bike I found is very interesting. i've always seen supercycle road bikes as pieces of junk and nothing good to salvage off them. but this one apears to have somewhat better pieces? I think someone really loved their supercycle and did upgrades. then majorly downgraded. also some random Kranked bike

Old 09-06-09, 09:46 AM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
Bought this Schwinn Circuit on Friday for $80.........Chrome stays and fork, Sante group...pretty decent shape overall, 'cept for the barend GripShift'ers and the front wheel has been replaced with a Campy Record hub with Mavic rim........also a funky 80's saddle
Old 09-06-09, 09:52 AM
icksee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought this Schwinn Circuit on Friday for $80.........Chrome stays and fork, Sante group...pretty decent shape overall, 'cept for the barend GripShift'ers and the front wheel has been replaced with a Campy Record hub with Mavic rim........also a funky 80's saddle
that saddle is sweet, but you should get some shoes on.
Old 09-06-09, 02:54 PM
bornhere

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[/QUOTE]

That wheel and fork should buff out ok
Old 09-06-09, 03:39 PM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's fine, that's just the camera angle.

Hey, what brand are those grip shifters? I have a Vitus 979 bike with a set (paired to 7 speed dura ace) and surprisingly enough I found the setup wasn't so bad to ride/shift. I missed the whole bar end grip shifter thing in the early 90s I guess, but I noticed that Caonnondale touring bikes came with them for at least a year or two. At first I thought they were MTB shifters, but no + they have a different 'feel' to their shifts.
Old 09-06-09, 05:51 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
"both" wheels lol they are both damaged really bad and I think if I used the forks the wrong way they are so bent it would ride fine and look neat lol
Old 09-06-09, 06:11 PM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickT
I picked this up off of craigslist for a little over $100. Being new to classic road bikes, I didn't know what I had until I brought it to the LBS for a tune up and they couldn't believe I got the bike for what I did. I think I got a good deal...do you?

It's a 1984 (I think) Trek 400 in gorgeous shape (with some nice components).

Nice Trek, great score, great photographs. Thanks,

Scott
Old 09-06-09, 07:13 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Not so much:
a lbs got a '81 Schwinn Super Sport in trade, minty fresh and my size.
But they don't want to sell it...shop owner's collection

https://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1...0/1981_07.html
Old 09-06-09, 07:57 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Bah! Of all the luck...

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-06-09, 09:06 PM
raymondgriffin
Always Looking

Bikes: 68 Dunelt, 74 Speedster, 91 High Plains AL, 91 Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 1400

Picked this up on CL last week. New tubes, tires, and tape. Had to "spray and pray" the brifters, all is good now. 105 crank, FD, RD, hubs. 600/Ultegra? brakes and brifters. My size too.
https://picasaweb.google.com/rsgriffin48
Old 09-06-09, 10:01 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by fiataccompli
It's fine, that's just the camera angle.

Hey, what brand are those grip shifters? I have a Vitus 979 bike with a set (paired to 7 speed dura ace) and surprisingly enough I found the setup wasn't so bad to ride/shift. I missed the whole bar end grip shifter thing in the early 90s I guess, but I noticed that Caonnondale touring bikes came with them for at least a year or two. At first I thought they were MTB shifters, but no + they have a different 'feel' to their shifts.
Shifters are branded GripShift, to the best of my knowledge no one else makes them. I am also inclined to believe these are an "uprade" post purchase.

I have run GripShift on mountain bikes and don't really care for them, as you tend to get a lot of accidental shifting while climbing.
Old 09-07-09, 02:49 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidW56
Rescued from the curbside trash, a few doors down and across the street -- a 1955 Dayton Consort. The Sturmey-Archer hub has the '55' stamped on it.
Thank You

You have contributed mightily to the saving of civilization.

Not joking. damn...
Old 09-07-09, 09:21 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
PatrickT, not only did you get a great deal on a really good bike, you're clearly an excellent photographer.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-07-09, 06:30 PM
Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
rigid mtb and amf 3 speed

from the trash two doors up the street...

giant yukon

biopace!?

200gs

3 speed AMF NIMBLE

Everything works on both bikes... the rigid is too small for me, which is a shame, as I was looking for a rigid mtb to extracycle.
Old 09-07-09, 10:43 PM
BluesDaddy
I got 99 projects

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looks like a Spandex cover on a Turbo saddle. If you don't like the style, peel off the cover. The cover will probably disintegrate when you peel it, so make sure you want to take it off; you won't be able to get it back on without the backing crumbling away. I personally think it is awesome and totally goes with the feel of the bike.
Old 09-08-09, 07:23 AM
slimlavud
Old formerly bold rider

Bikes: Raleigh Equipe 1992, Claud Butler 1950

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dumpster find, stolen then recovered

Hi all
I found this lovely 1980 Peugeot with just slightly bent fork at the local recycler in London, UK. Ran it for 6 years then it was stolen - then I repossessed it!
read about it here - pics too: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/vie...ghlight=stolen
Anybody got a 13 -28 tooth 6-speed Sachs Maillard freewheel for it please?
Old 09-08-09, 09:16 AM
Luke1977

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finished overhauling this old Raleigh Gran Sport Mixte that someone was throwing away. It's nothing special, just a typical Made in Japan, high tensile steel bike circa '83 (judging from the date on the brake calipers). Some decent components on it though. Anyway, stripped to bare frame, soaked the rustiest bits in OA, washed everything else. Overhauled the BB, hubs and headset. New tires and cables and it actually rides and shifts pretty nice. It has Suntour derailleurs and Power Shift shifters. It'll be perfect for my wife to use around town and in the park. Not bad for what I have invested in it (less than $40).

Old 09-08-09, 01:46 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Raleigh Gran Sport Mixte

"Not bad for what I have invested in it (less than $40)"

Beats paying $150 for one, and then redoing everything
Old 09-08-09, 04:35 PM
Smokinapankake

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 261 Posts
Interesting Story Slimlavud, you handled it remarkably well. Having one's bike stolen is the absolute schits.

A tip for those who are leery of bike thievery: Make up a few laminated (i.e., water/greaseproof) cards that say your name, address and phone number, along with the bike's serial number and model (if known) and hide them in a few places inside the frame. I keep one card each in the seat post, the bottom bracket, and in the head tube wrapped around the steer tube. If your bike gets stolen, notify everyone - police, every bike shop within a 100 mile radius, neighbors, etc... This way, if the bike show up in a shop and the name on the repair tag doesn't match the name on the card, the shop will know something's fishy. Likewise, if you come face to face with the turd that stole it, you can more easily prove your rightful ownership. You may not get your bike back, but you at least increase your chances....
Old 09-08-09, 07:08 PM
bornhere

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As found 1984? Mongoose atb. Looks like all the original stuff is here except grips and tires.
Old 09-08-09, 07:12 PM
CrankyFranky
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
PatrickT, not only did you get a great deal on a really good bike, you're clearly an excellent photographer.
+1 + Drillium!
Old 09-08-09, 08:38 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bornhere
As found 1984? Mongoose atb. Looks like all the original stuff is here except grips and tires.
Nice find. That's a sweet looking biplane fork crown. Looks like it's ready for a tour with the double eyelets and mid-fork braze-ons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.