Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-09, 10:29 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I've scored so many bikes lately, I can't post about them fast enough. I'm underemployed right now, so I have a lot of time for this hobby.

I got a 25" Univega Gran Turismo which needs a lot of work. This was for about $30 from craigslist.

I got a department store mountain bike with 24" wheels from the dump, literally.

Today, I got an extremely clean Raleigh Twenty from a guy at my synagogue. He said he wanted to trade it in while buying a bike at the local bike shop. The shop offered him $40, so I paid him $60 for it. Not sure what I'll do with it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-12-09, 07:00 AM
Commuter76

Bikes: 2000 GT Outpost Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Are those scratches, or a paint effect?
paint effect
Old 08-12-09, 10:59 AM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hopefuly gonna go pick this up tonight for 50$

Old 08-12-09, 11:43 AM
BOBSONATOR
Klaus Pierre-Action Star

Bikes: 86' Samurai Shogun

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HSean
Hopefuly gonna go pick this up tonight for 50$

*jawdrop*
Old 08-12-09, 01:23 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well I went right away because others wanted it. I even got lost trying to find the place but in the end I have it! I also learnt something odd too. when I went to get it. it had a mino tubeless wheel on it like a 24" wheel but they didn't notice and changed it back. there was two road bikes there that where made with 24" front wheels and I think 27" or 700c rear wheels. they where also 50$ but I couldn't take all lol anyway here it is.

Oh my I think it's even my size.
Old 08-12-09, 02:40 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
hsean - A plain old Bianchi Campione d'Italia in nice shape could go for as much as $300.00 with an Ofmega group set and Modolo brakes... you can add a little more because of the Celeste paint.

Yours has Campy derailers and a Stronglight crank which I think are replacements for what was probably Ofmega (good quality stuff)... but I could be wrong.

The rear wheel looks like an Ambrosio and I am interested in what hub it uses...
Old 08-12-09, 03:07 PM
HSean

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Interesting stuff however I think other then the outer rim most the bike asides from a few things is stock. I could be wrong though. but this is the other bianchi I hade before and if you notice the compontents are the same. also the hubs say Touring on them. outer rim in back is Mavic

Old 08-12-09, 06:30 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I've been wanting a truing stand for some time now, but was always too cheap to buy one. That ended when I found this Minoura unit on CL for $20. Yeah!

Old 08-12-09, 06:47 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I've been wanting a truing stand for some time now, but was always too cheap to buy one. That ended when I found this Minoura unit on CL for $20. Yeah!

I saw that a little while ago, but it was just too far for me. Nice score.
Old 08-12-09, 07:55 PM
mainducoyote

Bikes: 3Rensho Aero with 10 speed Centaure / Record , Lecroco , whatever bike I have for sale at the moment

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
hsean - A plain old Bianchi Campione d'Italia in nice shape could go for as much as $300.00 with an Ofmega group set and Modolo brakes... you can add a little more because of the Celeste paint.

Yours has Campy derailers and a Stronglight crank which I think are replacements for what was probably Ofmega (good quality stuff)... but I could be wrong.

The rear wheel looks like an Ambrosio and I am interested in what hub it uses...
All original I think. I picked up the exact same bike for $50 2 days ago ! It even came with indexed c-record shifters just like yours
Old 08-12-09, 08:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I scored three bikes today. The kid's bike is from 1974, brand of Tyler, made in Poland. The coaster brake hub surely needs some work, because it freewheels in both directions.

The Raleigh Grand Prix is in pretty decent shape. It has rubber pedals and steel rims. And ... [drum roll] a Brooks B72, which I am definitely keeping for myself. I've been pining for one of these, as I owned one 30 years ago, but I wasn't going to pay for one.

Then we have a Taiwan-made piece of poop, with a hilarious name: Duracycle. I might be able to use the freewheel. My daughter wants to hang the frame on her wall, because she thinks a bicycle frame is a beautiful thing. Of course, she's right.

My younger daughter (17) is the one holding up the bikes. I'm teaching her how to wrench.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 08-13-09, 12:41 AM
woody2926
Dudeski

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is now my favorite thread on my new favorite forum!!
Old 08-13-09, 07:50 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I think I joined bikeforums in January. I didn't look at C&V for a long time. Now it's my favorite section. I had this hobby before, but now it's occupying a heck of a lot of my time, and I'm enjoying it immensely. C&V boosted it.

Old 08-13-09, 08:03 AM
sonatageek

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That will turn into a real nice bike once it is cleaned up. Nice catch with the saddle. Are you going to keep the drop bars or convert it to north roads?

[QUOTE=noglider;9474751]

The Raleigh Grand Prix is in pretty decent shape. It has rubber pedals and steel rims. And ... [drum roll] a Brooks B72, which I am definitely keeping for myself. I've been pining for one of these, as I owned one 30 years ago, but I wasn't going to pay for one.

Old 08-13-09, 08:44 AM
miles.lowry
Raleigh Superbe

Bikes: 1974 Raleigh Superbe, Roadmaster Mountain Sport Mountain Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1969 Raleigh Superbe

I just aquired a 1969 Raleigh Superbe *free*(my avatar). It has no saddle and a little rust here and there. I diddn't get the key for the fork lock. I plan on restoring it but I need to get it rideable first. I have gotten new rubber and tubes and a new saddle on order (not the original style). The saddle I ordered is a nice white and brown leather cruzer saddle. So far I've spent $30 on it and the saddle will be $35.
Old 08-13-09, 11:36 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Good question, sonatageek. There's a good chance that the bike has an excessively long top tube (or imaginary top tube), so North Road bars would help to decrease the reach. I'm not sure what people want these days, either. I suspect drop bars are not most people's first choice.

Yes, the bike appears to be in excellent shape.

Old 08-13-09, 12:01 PM
nimbuscrenel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I already have another thread about this, but I figure it qualifies for this one as well.
1962 Raleigh Gran Sport for $20 off CL. I would have felt bad, but the guy I bought it from lived in a beautiful house and had an equally beautiful BMW parked in the driveway- he wasn't hurting financially.
Anyways, it's a bit rough, but has a Brooks B15 Swallow, Campagnolo derailleurs, cranks and shifters, Racelite hubs, Dunlop rims. All original....blah, blah,blah.

Old 08-13-09, 02:50 PM
sonatageek

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Good question, sonatageek. There's a good chance that the bike has an excessively long top tube (or imaginary top tube), so North Road bars would help to decrease the reach. I'm not sure what people want these days, either. I suspect drop bars are not most people's first choice.

Yes, the bike appears to be in excellent shape.
Niagara Cycle Works has alloy north roads for about $14.
Old 08-13-09, 03:03 PM
Batman_3000

Bikes: A few

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pewgot

This one comes from the dump. Somebody threw it out, I happened to be there. Perfect, just needed a noo suede saddle from the seventies (yuk) and some bar tape, a bit of adjusting. Anyway, it's a Peugeot PN 10 (PRN ?) or some other denomination not worth investigating, and it ain't collectable. Like I have racing bikes from the 1970's already, what's the point of another one ? I don't need this bike any more than I need a Masi 3V or whatever Masi was making in the seventies. It's a good bike, no doubt about that. It probably rides as well as anything else from the period. Sunday racers with cash would have had one, some amateur racers would have used this stuff. Full Reynolds 531, decent simplex, good wheels, Stronglight... So if I wasn't into collecting bikes I'd have a bike like this, fitted with some clinchers, a 48-36 upfront and a 14-28 on the back and would be perfectly happy with it. Anyway, the only reason I wasted some time on it is because a neighbour asked me for a racing bike, so I gave it to him. That way it get's a second life. Parted out on ebay there might have been a hundred bucks in it, but what's the point in destroying a perfectly good machine for peanuts ?

Guess you have to click on the thumbnail to see a decent sized pic.
Old 08-13-09, 04:26 PM
atapir

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
School rummage sale find

I took off the odometer rubber band drive it had 700 miles since I am so tall 6'3" and all legs I changed it to raised bar with an overly long stem it is a Centurion super elite tang 1 tubes rides great it was just dirty and needed cleaning and tires campy record hubs I paid $5 for it I love this bike
Old 08-13-09, 06:16 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Here are some of my most recent catches.

First is a Nishiki Sport that was just a frame and wheels I got from a friend. I built it up with NOS Suntour derailleurs and a bunch of goodies from the parts bin.

She rides very nicely and has good strong brakes. Size is a 48cm.
Old 08-13-09, 06:20 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Next is a Fuji Allegro. This one needed a lot of work but turned out beautifully. New cables, tires, tubes, chain, bartape, and an upgrade to aero brake levers and downtube Power Ratchet shifters.

Old 08-13-09, 06:28 PM
K8drums
learning...

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 (Gertie), Outfitters 2600 XC hybrid, Fixed gear on a Trek frame (June Carter Cash) and whatever I'm building at the time

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ do you know what year the Nishiki is? That's the same headbadge I have on mine (which is now a fixie)
Old 08-13-09, 06:28 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Moving right along to my next find, a Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 58cm. This one was the worst of the bunch condition wise. Mismatched wheels (front alloy, rear steel), the crank spider had a serious crack and nothing worked. All the cables were frozen.

I replaced the wheels with a matched set of 27" alloys, replaced all the cables, replaced the failed RD with a Cyclone and added a NOS Suntour VX FD. New tires, tubes, bartape, repack of all the bearings and she's sitting pretty. Thanks to JunkYardBike for the replacement crank. This bike is one nice rider.

I like the red "R" on the seat post binding nut.

Last edited by High Fist Shin; 08-13-09 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-13-09, 06:29 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by K8drums
^ do you know what year the Nishiki is? That's the same headbadge I have on mine (which is now a fixie)
Mid eighties I'm guessing. Maybe T-Mar can decipher the serial number for us. I'll look it up later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.