Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike gadgets and stuff that improves the experience

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike gadgets and stuff that improves the experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-24, 12:05 PM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
Proper bike fit
Cycling-specific clothing: bibs, chamois pads, jersey, jacket, etc
Patch kit, multitool, & frame pump
Clipless pedals & cycling shoes
Water bottle & cage
Speed & cadence sensor
Power meter
GPS computer
Brifters (Shimano Total Integration)
Electronic (wireless) shifting
Smart trainer (Elite Drivo, Saris Hammer 3, etc)
Training and analysis software (WKO, Golden Cheetah, Excel, etc)
Interactive indoor cycling app (Rouvy, Zwift, MyWhoosh, TrainerRoad, etc)
Roof rack and trailer hitch bike rack
Old 03-30-24, 01:00 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 914 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
There are probably more bicycle-related patents than any other kind, bikes have been around for a very long time. Most “new” things on bikes are just improved versions of existing technology, you could get a Schwinn Stingray with a disk brake 50 years ago. Rather than finding ways for existing riders to “improve” the experience, it might be better to come up with a program or idea to get more people to experience the experience. There is little point in trying to improve things which few people use.

The pandemic cycling boom was an unnatural occurrence, and by its nature, was doomed to the bust we are witnessing now. The last natural boom was the result of everybody’s favorite cheater winning the Tour de France 7 times. Lance, for all his faults, was worth billions to the sport and industry. There was a similar, though smaller boom when Greg Lemond won his tours.

It’s not likely that we’ll ever get another such figure who puts cycling in the headline news and front pages around the world. But a movie or tv series, well made and well promoted, might motivate people to try out “the experience.”

For many years I have lived in Japan, and people here are enthusiastic cyclists. Of course cycling will be popular in a country where car ownership is expensive, parking scarce, and driving a PITA, but there is more to it than that. There are plenty of kids TV shows featuring characters learning to ride a bike. Then there are the comic books and anime which feature competitive cycling, and more than a few movies and tv shows. There is at least one cycling program playing weekly on Japanese television which features things like races, tours, cycling clubs, and the like. Cycling is part of the culture in Japan, and the popularity of the sport in Japan is why Japanese makers became mainstays in the international cycling industry.

The more people who get into cycling, the bigger the sport/pastime will become, and the bigger and better it gets, the better bikes and products will be produced. The gadgets and stuff are secondary.
I can't speak to the recreational side of it, as I live in a rural area and there isn't enough of a population for me to draw conclusions on recreational cycling participation. However I do race a fair bit and, with the exception of gravel, the domestic racing scene seems to be in a sorry state of affairs. All the roadies were complaining last year, as a lot of the road races and crits ended up being canceled. In my main discpline, XC mtb'ing, the fields are looking pretty sparse nowadays.

On a positive note, there is a lot of development that goes into <18 local MTB racing. There are quite a few high school teams as well as some youth development teams and the youth classes are often the only classes with a deep field. Even if those kids don't stick to racing, hopefully they can at least be part of some sort of resurgence in cycling.
Old 03-30-24, 01:25 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2253 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 1,819 Posts
Valve-stems that are color-coordinated with my hubs.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-30-24, 03:38 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2007 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
IMO, the biggest improvement in bicycle design in the last 50 years as been those SMP seats, with the big holes in the middle. Somebody finally figured that out, thank goodness!

I rode a Brooks Pro for years. Ouch!
You mean the ibis bird. I'm curious to know, what's the function of the down hooked nose? Does it do anything or is it a branding style thing. And which model do you ride?

Last edited by Yan; 03-30-24 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-30-24, 05:35 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr., Libertas mixte

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
You mean the ibis bird. I'm curious to know, what's the function of the down hooked nose? Does it do anything or is it a branding style thing. And which model do you ride?

I don't know what the 'beak' is for. I seem to remember something about not catching your clothing, but for me it makes that a bit worse. Maybe it is a branding thing, but other characteristics are so purposeful I don't know.

I have 2 TRK Gel (mediums) and one TRK Gel (wide) on a more upright bike. For my latest build I'm trying a Well (gel-less) model. Jury's still out. Would try a VT30 Gel next...
Old 03-30-24, 08:35 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3,003 Times in 1,930 Posts
Tire quality & option.
Old 03-30-24, 09:18 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 669 Posts
Garmin Varia

don't knock it if you ain't tried it

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 03-30-24, 09:27 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 115 Posts
Let me suggest helmet lights. They make you much more visible to traffic, especially to people who are waiting on cross streets.
Old 03-30-24, 10:50 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 5,703 Times in 2,943 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Big miss. Besides valve stem and hubs, add color matching spoke nipples (for the win)

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-31-24, 05:09 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18446 Post(s)
Liked 15,680 Times in 7,370 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I don’t know about the stems themselves, but my red anodized caps match my CK hubs nicely.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-31-24, 06:36 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2253 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 1,819 Posts
Sadly, they appear to be sold out at the moment:

One of the caps doubles as a spoke nipple wrench, the other as a valve extractor.
Old 03-31-24, 08:24 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 556 Times in 291 Posts
Gadgets, eh ? Lemme see now. The only actual gadgets I have are the little CatEye computer thingies on each of the bikes. Started using those sometime in the '80s.
Pretty well took care of my gadget lust.
I did see some barend tassels at Target the other day that looked way zoot. Tempting.

Last edited by Steel Charlie; 03-31-24 at 08:28 AM.
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 03-31-24, 02:16 PM
Low Gear Louie
Rider of Unpainted Roads

Bikes: *Surly Bridge Club, *Surly Ogre, *Specialized Expedition (1983)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Things that keep me alive!
- Hi Viz clothing including socks that catch attention
- Big helmet mounted mirror - EVT Safe Zone
- Varia Radar
- Bright flashing lights everywhere including on the helmet. Yeah I cheat and have both red and white facing the rear.
I pass many riders wearing all black, like they are going to a funeral - perhaps they are.
Old 04-01-24, 08:17 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
The usual suspects: GPS (I use a Garmin Edge Explore 2 and a Bryton Rider 750), Varia Radar, Power Meter (I use a Sigeyi AXO on my road bike and a Magene P505 on my gravel/commuter bike), Magene armband HRM

Not specifically bike related, but still primarily used for cycling: Shokz OpenRun Pro bone conducting headphones.
Old 04-02-24, 10:05 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
Good shoes that actually fit. I'm an outlier in that I have really wide feet...I went for years sizing up shoes that were too narrow for a proper length. I finally discovered Lake shoes, with their wide sizing, and it's been a game changer.

Kind of a simple one, but storage on the bike. Yes, it may look Freddly, but I like having a decent saddle bag on my road/gravel bikes. Enough of a bag to carry a multi-tool, spare TPU tube, 2 different options for tubeless tire repair, and enough room leftover for my keys and some arm-warmers. Even more ghastly, I carry a mini pump on a mount adjacent to one of the bottle cages. I know some people that take "the rules" pretty seriously, but carrying tools, a mini-pump, and enough gels for a 6 hour ride, gets old when they're all in your jersey pockets.
“The horror, the horror”. 😱. 😁.
Carry the same but stick pump, arm warmers, keys in jersey pocket.

Luckily we will never be seen together or I would have to shield my eyes to your Freditude.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 04-02-24, 10:16 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,328 Posts
Since bikes no longer come with them, pedals.

Makes riding up hills easier.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 04-02-24, 10:38 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5006 Post(s)
Liked 8,177 Times in 3,869 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
On a positive note, there is a lot of development that goes into <18 local MTB racing. There are quite a few high school teams as well as some youth development teams and the youth classes are often the only classes with a deep field. Even if those kids don't stick to racing, hopefully they can at least be part of some sort of resurgence in cycling.
HS MTB teams are growing in my area. MS, too. I have good friends that are coaches for 3 different high schools, and every year they get more participation. I love riding in my local area on the weekends, and coming across groups of young riders out in the dirt. I also love that they are being taught about proper trail etiquette.
Old 04-02-24, 11:03 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10466 Post(s)
Liked 11,964 Times in 6,126 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
Garmin Varia

don't knock it if you ain't tried it

/markp
Exactly what I was going to post. I've heard some way, "What good is it? What are you going to do, head for the ditch?", but it's not so you can avoid being run over from behind. It's so you know when it's safe to leave the bike lane to pass a slower rider, or for when you need to cross traffic lanes, like for a left turn or getting past freeway on ramps. It's not a substitute for looking over your shoulder. It's a supplement to it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-02-24, 04:34 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked 619 Times in 379 Posts
what's the function of the down hooked nose? Does it do anything or is it a branding style thing. And which model do you ride?
The real answer is in the patent app, but I can't find it anymore. In any case, the tender bits are supposed to hang out over the beak, IIRC.
My experience with the SMPs is that the distance between the lowest part of the depression to the highest point just before the beak is critical to fit. If that measurement is longer than the rider is, the rider won't be comfortable. The first SMP I tried was the TRK, and it's compatible with my undercarriage - no perineal numbness. I tried a fancier model, but it was too long. I kept sliding back into the depression, which prohibited me from using the beak right and led to perineal numbness.

From the company website:

EAGLE BEAK TIP

• greater comfort in low position
  • maximum freedom to shift the body forward towards the tip of the saddle
  • no genital compression
Old 04-02-24, 04:41 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

One earbud playing favorite tunes or podcasts on long rides - helps my solo experience.

Old 04-02-24, 04:58 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1100 Post(s)
Liked 1,865 Times in 683 Posts
they make a lil convex mirror that attaches to the inside (lower/left) of your sunglasses. Just enough vision to see if a car is coming or you lost your friend.
Old 04-03-24, 12:05 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 437 Posts
Probably the "gadget" that has made cycling more enjoyable for me, but would only apply to those who wear glasses when riding, is an eyeglass strap, so I'm not reaching up and pushing them back up my nose. Cheapest gadget I use but sure has made a difference!
Old 04-03-24, 11:49 PM
bijosepke

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by freeranger
Probably the "gadget" that has made cycling more enjoyable for me, but would only apply to those who wear glasses when riding, is an eyeglass strap, so I'm not reaching up and pushing them back up my nose. Cheapest gadget I use but sure has made a difference!
I haven’t had the chance to try one myself, but your recommendation has piqued my interest. I’m definitely considering giving it a go to keep my glasses in place during rides. Thanks for the tip, @freeranger!
Old 04-04-24, 12:35 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
If you look at an SMP from a purely anatomical perspective, it's essentially a noseless saddle and falls into the same category as Spesh Power, ISM, etc.. The nose doesn't do anything when you're sitting on the bike as it's tilted down out of the way. You could technically cut the nose off and the basic functionality of the saddle wouldn't really change all that much. Then it'd just be pure noseless.

The "problem" with noseless saddles however is that they don't have a nose. It's not an issue for some but others prefer a saddle to have a nose since it can be used to stabilize the bike during descents and can be useful in other situations as well. If you want to ride on the 'rivet', It's hard to do with a noseless saddle since the 'rivet' position doesn't exist. The SMP allows for that to an extent but it's not a great experience (then again, when is riding on the rivet a great experience?).

Personally I like the nose of the SMP's. I've tried other noseless saddles and I really notice when the nose is not there. It's not a deal breaker but the bike just feels sorta off especially in more challenging handling situations.

These days I use SMP Pros and have them on all my bikes. They're good enough that I can almost use them without chamois. And by that I mean I only need chamois for longer rides.
Old 04-04-24, 07:19 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 412 Posts
Having seen a horrible commuter "car doored" - bike lanes, and a serious crash looking back, Bike Peddlers - Take A Look Mirror.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.