Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Sleeping bag

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Sleeping bag

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-17, 09:28 PM
2zweelabout

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sleeping bag

Any suggestions for a large rectangular sleeping bag,down or synthetic, with a rating of 20 degrees or lower and weighing 5 lbs. or less? For me mummy style bags just aren't comfortable enough.
Old 12-08-17, 10:49 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
Many outdoor stores have search tools on their websites. REI is a good example. Be wary of the Chinese brands, such as, on Amazon as they are greatly undersized and do not correspond to their descriptions
Old 12-09-17, 07:15 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I bought one of these last summer, and I like it a lot. Roomy but warm. I've used it three times just recently, and when the temps were dipping below 30F, and I was warm with the thicker side up and a substantial pad beneath. YMMV: https://www.campsaver.com/mountain-h...fill-down.html
Old 12-09-17, 07:29 AM
mbusky

Bikes: REI's COOP AVD1.1 touring bike

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
I too liked a lot of room in a bag and used square bags till I tried a Montbell Down Hugger 3 sub 2lbs mummy bag so roomy and oh so comfortable. You may want to look at quilts Sea to Summit has some very nice and warm ones at about 2lbs. I use both depending on the weather and time of the year.
Old 12-09-17, 11:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Stevenson warmlight , triple (2 tops), down filled airmattress, , custom. sized. so weight, variable..

Used to be the Marmot component bag system , but your weight goal .. not including bottom..

a 72x20 Therma rest formed the bottom, side zips connect top & bottom, a sleeve for your pad..

there are thick quilts to cover you , not integrated with your under layer of ground insulation...

Made, too.. no zipper, weigh.

Old 12-09-17, 12:25 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I'll second Montbell's hugger line - kinda of a hybrid between the room of a rectangular (able to sit up cross-legged inside), yet with the efficiency of a mummy using elastic to reduce dead air space. Mine also unzips nearly full length for use as a quilt.
Old 12-09-17, 05:39 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Use your mummy bag as a blanket.
Old 12-10-17, 06:42 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
MegaLite | Western Mountaineering
Condor 20 Rectangular Down Sleeping Bag Feathered Friends

I personally have 5 bags for my wife and I and use the bags we need depending on what the particular tour is about. These bags are very good. I like my stock Megalite for summer touring where I know it won't get below 35*. It has no side baffle so you can shake the down from the top to the bottom to make it cooler when needed. I use (primarily for camping but not bike touring) a custom FF bag for when I know it will get between 10-30 degrees and or in rainy situations (it has eVent). My son has a Montbell Hugger. It really does expand but still feels a bit tight for me (I am not nearly as thin as my son who loves it).

The quality of both bags is great. Both have lifetime warranties. Heck, WM even gives a lifetime warranty if you bough the bag used on eBay. I assume a rip due to a stick or a burn hole does not qualify for warranty. Both bags are easily under 2 pounds. A big benefit of the Feathered Friends bag is that they are made to order when you order it so if you need certain criteria, i.e. overfill the down to make it warmer, it is easily done. They can do fully custom (size, color, fill, etc.) if needed. Feathered Friends Customer Services is excellent also. I had a 26 year old bag that the goretex shell became de-laminated and they replaced a $500 bag for $100 (due to up-charges I wanted). Both bags pretty much meet the advertised temp rating. It is easily extended with a silk bag liner and or wearing clothes and a wool cap (that really helps!).

Both are great companies/bags but pricey. People may ***** about the price but I look at it as if I spend $450 (or less with the periodic discounts) on a bag and get 200 nights out of it (the WM has close to it without any noticeable wear), the bag is only a couple bucks per night's use. Plus I could always sell it after I didn't need it and recoup some of the cost.

Best, John
Old 12-10-17, 08:57 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by 2zweelabout
Any suggestions for a large rectangular sleeping bag,down or synthetic, with a rating of 20 degrees or lower and weighing 5 lbs. or less? For me mummy style bags just aren't comfortable enough.
Switch to a quilt. The Enlighten Equipment Revelation is about as flexible as you can get.

With a quilt, you lose a bunch of weight and no warmth penalty. The portion of the sleeping bag underneath of your hips and back gets smashed flat and doesn't provide any insulation. With the quilt, your pad, and the strapping retention system you get the same or better warmth, you don't have the restriction of a mummy bag (especially nice if a side or stomach sleeper) and you get a lot more flexibility if it warms up and you need ventilation. They are also considerably lighter and the pack smaller. You can zip open the bottom to make it into a blanket. You can open the drawstring at the bottom to ventilate your feet. You can clip the side straps (two of them) that hold it to the pads to open up progressively or completely snug it up.

The Revelation is a down bag. They also have a similar design in a synthetic (weighs more and will be bulkier). All of them are far below 5 lbs. The Revelation in a regular size weights 19oz or just over 1 lb.

We used the two person version for a camping trip through Iceland and were very, very happy with it. Worked perfectly with our Big Agnes season pads (pad weights about a pound and has R5 insulation). We also have the single person Revelation in a 20 degree version. Seem to us the ratings are accurate. This is terrific equipment in our opinion.

J.
Old 12-10-17, 01:01 PM
s0rce

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also recommend switching to a quilt. I could never get comfortable in mummy bags and picked up a Katabatic quilt a few years ago and couldn't be happier (there are cheaper options but when I ordered many of them had long lead times). My 20F quilt is fairly comfortable down to about 15F with some extra clothing in a tent, I sleep reasonably warm. It weighs 22oz or something and packs small. I bought one that can unzip completely into a blanket but, honestly, I never use that feature and would buy a sewn footbox if I did it again. Its too much of a fuss to close up if you get cold during the night (this happens often when night time temps can drop 40-50F, especially in the mountains) and you can just lay the whole thing on you like a blanket even if its zipped up.
Old 12-11-17, 12:27 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 2zweelabout
Feathered Friends makes and sells wide bags, mummy or rectangular, quilts too. 20 deg wide mummy:

https://featheredfriends.com/swift-na...eping-bag.html
Old 12-11-17, 03:01 PM
fantom1 

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feathered Friends and Western Mountaineering "wide" bags are really wide. It looks like the FF Penguin Nano 20 or 10 is what you are looking for. 10 or 20deg, sub 3lbs, best quality down, rectangle. Plus the Schoeller fabric is really nice.
Old 12-11-17, 08:42 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
I know that below about 35 or so, I want my head inside the sleeping bag, no hat keeps my head warm. Thus I use an LL Bean semi-mummy that’s cut generous in the feet, but still a mummy shape and my head stays warm.

And I do want insulation all around in case I roll sideways.

I think Beans has discontinued this model, but Cabellas sells a whole lot of similar stuff.