Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Quebec question

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Quebec question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-18, 05:06 PM
redbagsrambler

Bikes: Trek 520, Bianchi Volpe and too many more to name

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quebec question

Considering a tour in Quebec for mid to late June, between Montreal and Gaspe. Any suggestions whether to ride Montreal to Gaspe or Gaspe to Montreal? Any wind advantages one way or the other? Any recommendations for good places to explore along the way? Will definitely be spending a couple of days in Quebec city. I'll be doing a mix of about 60/40 camping/hotels.
Old 03-17-18, 05:57 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I am definitely not an expert on this area, but if you are going up the northern coast, a logical stop would be Matane. I used to travel up there for business, but always in the winter when roads were snowed over, so I can't tell you much about bicycling on Rt. 132. However, if there is a bike lane or a wide enough shoulder, it's a great route to ride for scenery.
Old 03-17-18, 06:48 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
I believe wind advantage is Montreal -> Gaspe.

At least it was on my ride across Canada and two other rides I did in the St Lawrence Seaway.
Old 03-17-18, 09:52 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Definitely Montreal > Gaspé. The wind follows the St-Lawrence 80% of the time and can be quite strong. Trees are bent towards the east. Finishing in Gaspé is much nicer than fighting urban traffic as well.

Check the Route Verte map, and its menu: https://carto.routeverte.com/en

The usual from MTL to QC is Route Verte #5 (highway 138) on the north shore. It takes forever to get out of Montreal. In the morning, just take Sherbrooke street as most traffic comes the other way and you'll have the outside lane for yourself. Another option is to ride on the south shore to Sorel and take the ferry there. That involves a ~10-15km section around Contrecoeur that really suck.

The other option for MTL - QC is Route Verte #1 inland, south of the river. It's almost all bike path but also the most boring part of all Quebec.

From Quebec City, take the ferry to Lévis and follow Route Verte #1. If you stay on the north shore, expect traffic and monstrous hills. The Route Verte #1 follows highway 132 except through some villages and the occasional small road sandwiched between the main highway the St-Lawrence. There's a unusual very hilly bike path around St-Simon. I love this stretch but I've seen someone here saying they hated because it's too hilly and curvy. This is exactly the scenery you won't see from the highway so go for it. Again in St-Fabien, you can ride to the shore and get through Le Bic park. The park's fee is 8.50$ and there's no booth at the western entrance. There's a quiet bike/kayak campsite on the path that is not cheap, and they have cheaper bike sites on one of the the main campground.

Around Ste-Flavie, you have the choice of going around the peninsula or cut through. Going around is much nicer IMO but gets hilly like a roller-coaster from Manche-D'Épée. The inland route is still nice with fewer hills. If you go around, a side trip to Gaspésie park is nice if you hike, but too much effort if you don't.
Old 03-18-18, 06:30 AM
hhk25

Bikes: 2017 Marinoni Tourismo Extreme, 1984 Trek 520, 1987 Niskhiki International, 2013 Brompton M6R, 2016 Brompton P6R

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
I believe wind advantage is Montreal -> Gaspe.

At least it was on my ride across Canada and two other rides I did in the St Lawrence Seaway.
You're also riding downhill. All 750 feet of it!
Old 03-18-18, 12:44 PM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
From Quebec City, take the ferry to Lévis and follow Route Verte #1. If you stay on the north shore, expect traffic and monstrous hills. The Route Verte #1 follows highway 132 except through some villages and the occasional small road sandwiched between the main highway the St-Lawrence. There's a unusual very hilly bike path around St-Simon.
I enjoyed riding the bike path on the south side of the St. Lawrence east of Quebec City. Consider it if you want an easy route.

The north shore east of Quebec City is extremely hilly, and there is a lot of traffic, but the route is spectacular. There are ferries you can take to cross the river at several points.
Old 03-18-18, 03:48 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Afew summers ago my wife and I rode from north of Montreal to Halifax via the Gaspe. Beautiful ride!! We have a journal on Crazy Guy on a Bike.
Old 03-25-18, 04:55 PM
redbagsrambler

Bikes: Trek 520, Bianchi Volpe and too many more to name

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good information there, everybody. Much appreciated.
Old 03-28-18, 11:15 PM
fantom1 

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Noooooooo! Go the other way. Downhill and downwind are over-rated, ya wimp.

(Just kidding, I love Québec city, its truly beautiful with amazing food. Never got to tour there though, enjoy!)
Old 03-29-18, 10:57 AM
skimaxpower

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Per previous comments, the wind in this region generally flows the same direction as the river. I did this trip in early September, and I would actually recommend doing it during the height of tourist season. Even in early September, it was quite cold.

Many RV parks offer great amenities - wifi, cafeterias, swimming pools, etc. But the outdoor amenities are seasonal. The swimming pools all got drained the week before our ride.

What's your plan to get home? We flew out of Gaspe without much trouble. Struggled to buy bike boxes from the bus company, but it worked out in the end.

Highlights of our tour included:
  • Quebec City
  • Beluga whales on the ferry across the St. Lawrence
  • Pit Caribou beer in Gaspe
  • Camping/hiking at Forillon National Park
  • Eating Lobster - cheap and plentiful
  • Eating Poutine - calories don't count on bike tour
  • Boat tour around Perce
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
quebec.jpg (87.6 KB, 48 views)
Old 03-29-18, 05:53 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Subscribed.