Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tension headache from... cycling?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tension headache from... cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 05:35 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
A friend was getting bad headaches after riding, switched to different riding glasses and the problem went away. One more thing to try...
Along with heat the second biggest one with me. Fortunately, my new sun glasses completely cured this one.
Originally Posted by harrisonk
I get them every time I do an extended effort. As soon as I finish my head is pounding and I lose focus (black shadow around everything for a few seconds). I think, for me at least, it's just over-exertion.
Are you overweight? Possible high blood pressure (which increases with activity naturally) is sometimes a reason for this one. Get it check out just in case.
Old 07-18-18, 05:55 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
……. ...and, forgot to mention-- 2nd time I ever wore a skullcap the first being a few days earlier... Hmmmmm.
You DID launder that skull cap before wearing it..... right?
I am pretty hairless under my helmet now-a-days. So I always were a do-rag. In extreme heat I only wear my thin cotton ones, as the thicker tech fabric ones build-up too much heat.

Headaches are common and generally considered harmless plus, ouchies are normal with sports. Most likely your dehydrating. But it would be prudent to mention the headaches and your training routine to some sort of exercise or healthcare professional.
Old 07-19-18, 08:52 PM
Anohaakten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have absolutely had this happen. It is the reason I went from a drop bar road bike to the flat bar road bike I currently have. Hopefully you are able to resolve the issues you have!
Old 07-19-18, 10:50 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by droppedandlost
A friend was getting bad headaches after riding, switched to different riding glasses and the problem went away. One more thing to try...
No problem on a subsequent ride but I did change sunglasses... different skull cap, only one IPA, not as hot, rode a bit slower, still ate a tin of kippers, drank a lot of water before and after, switched from Goldfish to Cheez-Its ('gotta go back to goldfish).

Last edited by McBTC; 07-19-18 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-20-18, 07:09 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,852 Times in 3,152 Posts
I have an old specialty board certification that implies I once knew something about headaches and I'm here to tell you that tight sunglasses will do it.
Old 07-20-18, 04:29 PM
dfischer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a frequent migraine sufferer, so I don't take your pain in jest. However, this post reminded me of this old joke:
-------------------

Joe had suffered from really bad headaches for the last 20 years. He eventually decides to go and see a Doctor.

The Doctor said, 'Joe, the good news is I can cure your headaches. The bad news is that it will require castration. You have a very rare condition which causes your testicles to press on your spine and the pressure creates one hell of a headache. The only way to relieve the pressure is to remove the testicles.'

Joe was shocked and depressed. He wondered if he had anything to live for. Yet he had no choice but to go under the knife. The surgery cost him $15,000.

When he left the hospital, he was without a headache for the first time in 20 years, but he felt like he was missing an important part of himself. As he walked down the street, he realized that he felt like a different person. He could make a new beginning and live a new life. He saw a men's clothing store and thought, 'That's what I need... A new suit.'

He entered the shop and told the salesman, 'I'd like a new Suit.'

The elderly Tailor eyed him briefly and said, 'Let's see... size 44 long.

Joe laughed, 'That's right, how did you know?'

'Been in the business 60 years!' the tailor said.

Joe tried on the suit it fit perfectly.

As Joe admired himself in the mirror, the salesman asked, 'How about a new shirt?'

Joe thought for a moment and then said, 'Sure.'

The salesman eyed Joe and said, 'Let's see, 34 sleeves and 16-1/2 neck.'

Joe was surprised, 'That's right, how did you know?'

'Been in the business 60 years.'

Joe tried the shirt and it fit perfectly. He walked comfortably around the shop and the salesman asked, 'How about some new Underwear?'

Joe thought for a moment and said, 'Sure..'

The salesman said, 'Let's see..... size 36.

Joe laughed, 'Ah ha! I got you! I've worn a size 34 since I was 18 years old..'

The salesman shook his head, 'You can't wear a size 34. A size 34 would press your testicles up against the base of your spine and give you one hell of a Headache.'