Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What tires provide the best grip?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-18, 03:42 AM
Planesio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I falles off the bike last week, the frontera wheel slipped for not particular reason. Is there a tire Brand with better grip in general?
Old 07-08-18, 09:13 AM
Oso Polar

Bikes: Trek 3500, Jamis Renegade Escapade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 43 Posts
Better grip "in general" doesn't exist, it depends on the road surface you are riding upon and weather (temperature, dry/rain/snow). For example, tires with excellent grip on dry smooth pavement will usually suck in the mud and vice versa.
Old 07-08-18, 10:54 AM
Boerd

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RSL 2018, Passoni Titanio 2020

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 8 Posts
I will make a wild guess - you are talking about a road bike (given the forum). A lot of people like the Conti GP 4k II as a clincher tire - this is my preferred tire. They are not the most durable but they have very good grip. Other tires with very good grip are the Victoria Corsa - but I can't speak of them as I have never used them.
Old 07-08-18, 12:13 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I have found that that tires that have very good grip have poor durability. Consequently, we cyclists have to find a balance between durability and traction. For each cyclist, there is a range of tire pressures that is satisfactory. If you pump up tires near the top of that range, the tire is less likely to conform to the road surface losing a bit of traction. If, on the other hand, you pump up to near the bottom of that range, you will get a smoother ride with somewhat improved traction. The linked chart offers suggested pressures - hope it helps. https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...DYAyUQ9QEILjAA
Old 07-08-18, 03:14 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Tires don't slip for no reason. You have to figure out why they did so you can purchase ones that address that issue.
Old 07-08-18, 04:45 PM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Tires don't slip for no reason. You have to figure out why they did so you can purchase ones that address that issue.
+1
the differences in grip between tires of similar class are going to be sooo miniscule compared to differences in grip driven by your technique
Old 07-08-18, 08:28 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Just skimmed the thread, but it seems nobody has mentioned pressure.

Optimum pressure is meant to be whatever it takes so the tyre is squashed 15% under load. So run about ten pounds less in the front.

Also, given that front tyres wear very slowly, you can use a very sticky tyre in front without worrying about the durability.
Old 07-10-18, 10:37 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
More expensive tires have better grip, when the road is clear (for both wet and dry). Continental makes good tires, if it's a skinny tired road bike Continental gp4000's have really really good grip while also being very fast.

The thing tires cannot fix is if you hit junk on top of the road - like wet leaves, wet mud, etc. All you can do is watch out for it and avoid going over it, or go over it more slowly while being sure to stay straight and not turn. Tire material, design, etc cannot overcome if your tire is gripping on something that itself is not firmly attached to the ground.
Old 07-10-18, 02:24 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
There is a lot of difference in grip. I've had bikes in front of me go down when I didn't think it was slick at all. As others note, Continental Grand Prix 4000 IIs tires are very good in grip and have good durability.
Old 07-22-18, 11:56 AM
Planesio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, and thanks a lot for the input.

-I am using tubeless tyres. First, I was using the Schwalve pro one with no issues, but I got a serious flat in the front tyre and I decided to replace both tyres with the Mavic Yksion Pro UST tyres that originally came with the Mavic Kysirium elite UST wheels, then I had the crash.

-I am looking at the Contisi but they dont have a tubeless version yet, would you have other recomendation for tubeless tyres?

-I still have and almost brand new Schwalve pro one tyre left. In terms of safety, should I get both tyres brand new? with the same zero wear I mean, like you do with cars. Or, it is OK in bicycles to have one tyre with more wear than the other?
Old 07-22-18, 05:02 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Planesio
-I still have and almost brand new Schwalve pro one tyre left. In terms of safety, should I get both tyres brand new? with the same zero wear I mean, like you do with cars. Or, it is OK in bicycles to have one tyre with more wear than the other?
Put the new tire up front and the older one on the rear. This is the typical way of rotating in a new tire.
Old 07-22-18, 06:28 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Like the others said, grip depends on conditions. During todays rain-soaked ride I rode Conti GP 4 Seasons and had no issues with grip. Normally I ride the GP 4000s II model, but for today's fundraiser I wanted a little more durability and something better in the rain. Tire grip is highly situational.