Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

On my right! On my right!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

On my right! On my right!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-18, 08:40 AM
memebag

Bikes: 2017 Cannondale CAAD12 105, 2014 Giant Escape City

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I wait for wide enough area to pass safely. Sometimes I have to wait a while, from a good distance back. I try to size the situation up beforehand and decide whether I should announce the pass or not. Some people get startled if you say anything. It also depends how much room I have, I want enough leeway that an inexperienced cyclist can veer sideways while I pass and we'll both be ok. Mainly, I avoid the MUPs, and just accept riding real slow when I'm on one.

Otherwise, I agree 100 %.
I've never startled anyone. I announce far enough back that I don't surprise them. I've had some people who didn't understand English. They stopped and turned around to look at me. I was easily able to ride around them.

Originally Posted by bruce19
This raises a good point. There are cycling protocols. Most people on the MUPs don't know them and don't care to know them. That's never going to change.
They learn from experience. I had one guy ask me to stop and explain why I announced. I was happy to explain it. He was mad at first, because he thought cyclists were saying that because he was too slow. I explained that we do it because it's the law and it makes life safer for all of us. Once I explained it he understood and calmed down.

In general:
If you're riding so fast that you don't have time to announce and respond to a pedestrian's reaction, get off the MUP and onto a road.
Old 07-30-18, 08:55 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I've startled people. Some people are just jumpy.
Old 07-30-18, 09:47 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting

Great point. If the person just heard right, they'll move right!

Originally Posted by wphamilton
Probably trying to solve the problem where people hear "left" and react by moving left, but not thought through. Really bad idea IMO.
Old 07-30-18, 11:38 AM
Snowflake6
Sprockets away!

Bikes: 2021 Prior Prime 105 Disc, 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc, 1996 Brodie Quantum, 1984 Norco Monterey (SRAM automatix two-speed), 198x Cramerotti Campagnolo Chorus (restored)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Saying "Left" or "Right" to a walker is usually enough to get the walker to move in that direction, in my experience. I've stopped warning, I just give wide berths. My 105 drivetrain *isn't* noisy, so there's no noise until i'm past them. They may startle, but by that point i'm gone anyway.
Old 07-30-18, 11:38 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate
If I say anything at all I try to be more direct like "I'm passing you on your left" or "excuse me".

Speaking of weird encounters...last weekend I was riding on a MUP that actually had hills and curves (for FL). I was coming down a hill and another cyclist was coming down the opposite hill towards me. In front of me was a couple of pedestrians. I was already slowing down waiting for the other cyclist to do his thing before I passed the peds when he yells out "BEHIND YOU!!" to the pedestrians. As he passed me he was muttering all sorts of unhappy sounds. I'm not sure what his point was. No one was in his way. When I caught up to the peds I made a joke about me being "behind them" and we had a little laugh.
i've definitely said "I'm passing you on your left" mostly b/c people don't respond well to "on your left" - i'll also say "i'm on your left" in close proximity - before passing.
Old 07-30-18, 11:54 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
No matter how you put it, people will always stop to interpret your language. Use a warning sound/bell. That's what its for. Then they instantly know where you are, and what that means.
Old 07-30-18, 12:55 PM
Wiltsielove

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Utahan

I live in Utah and have for about a decade and have never heard of this.
Old 07-30-18, 01:29 PM
dfischer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boats, airplane, cars, in fact everything I can think of provides the right of way to the slower or less maneuverable. I don't care what the laws says or what you think is the "right" answer, you tag somebody and didn't call it out a good lawyer will simply take a jury and hang you out to dry.

And did we forget many bicyclists like to claim they have the same rights to the roadway as a car? Now some can't accept they are responsible to not hit somebody?

Sure some don't know what "on your left" means, but most do, and the rest learn in a big hurry.

I don't have a bike bell, but I just decided I need one. I don't care what the law, folks experience, or the purple pumpkin eater says: if I can not hit a kid, or a little old lady, or a whatever, then I made the right decision. To those that brought that up, thanks!
Old 07-30-18, 02:57 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I use a bell and get a lot more thank yous and hand waves than startled jumps. Of course, the startled ones are the least clueful pedestrians and "bikers" who meander to and fro. I figure startling them once is necessary education to prepare them for future encounters on the MUP.

Also, I swear I posted almost this exact same response on BF a few months ago. And a few months before that... I'm beginning to understand why the majority of a certain poster's content is just previous quotes of himself.
Old 07-30-18, 04:23 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
No matter how you put it, people will always stop to interpret your language. Use a warning sound/bell. That's what its for. Then they instantly know where you are, and what that means.
My only problem with this is that the bell doesn't give notice about what you are going to do. As in "passing on your left."
Old 07-30-18, 05:07 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Yeah a bell can be any number of things. Even I wouldn't assume it was a bike coming through.
Old 07-30-18, 06:25 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Yeah a bell can be any number of things. Even I wouldn't assume it was a bike coming through.
I hear a bell. I look for an ice cream truck.
Old 07-30-18, 08:06 PM
Johnicycle

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Had a young adult looking right at me a veer into my lane coming right towards me, then get freaked out when we almost collided..

When I got home I ordered a replacement 1200 lumen light for my bike... Should be here tomorrow..

​​​​this was in Milford, Ma. People are constantly walking side by side taking up the entire path, not paying attention. Annoying to say the least.
Old 07-30-18, 08:34 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Then you must no be from around here. Even small kids know that.
In my experiments. At least 50% of the time peds move to the side without even breaking their stride.
My only problem with this is that the bell doesn't give notice about what you are going to do. As in "passing on your left."
Your warning bell indicates intent to pass. And with that the peds should move to the right.

The only issues arrive is with groups when they divided to both sides forcing you down the middle. When that happens you have to needle through focusing on moving targets on both sides with no open way out in the event of an emergency maneuver.
Old 07-30-18, 09:11 PM
Lostfreight
Lostfreight

Bikes: Batavus Lento, Litespeed, and 1963 CCM Imperial Mark IV 3-speed just for fun. Oh yeah, a 1971 Gitane tandem 10-speed touring.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rely on my bell constantly. In Fact, having a bell on one’s bike is law In Toronto. Most people on an MUP will step to the right when they hear the bell. Simple. I also realize a lot of road bike riders don’t have a bell on their bike. What do others here think of bells? I get the sense from some fellow riders that this accessory is just not cool on an expensive road bike.
Old 07-30-18, 10:57 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Bell FTW.

Good for overtaking riders on the road, & even for a sonic wave.
Old 07-31-18, 03:53 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Lostfreight
I rely on my bell constantly. In Fact, having a bell on one’s bike is law In Toronto. Most people on an MUP will step to the right when they hear the bell. Simple. I also realize a lot of road bike riders don’t have a bell on their bike. What do others here think of bells? I get the sense from some fellow riders that this accessory is just not cool on an expensive road bike.
Same in the states that I've lived in. I bought mine (along with a few other accessories) before I bought my bike. Useless for cars in traffic, but a definite must anywhere there are pedestrians.
Old 07-31-18, 06:45 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by memebag
If you're riding so fast that you don't have time to announce and respond to a pedestrian's reaction, get off the MUP and onto a road.
Another one worth repeating. Totally common sense, and I think most experienced riders know this. Unfortunately, too many people use shared paths as training grounds, they'll start putting forth an effort, and common sense goes out the window..
Old 07-31-18, 08:22 AM
teoblar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was complimented by a pedestrian who caught up to me at a stop light while getting off of a MUP. I had said 'passing on your left' as I usually do and he thanked me for my civility. 80% of the time my call-out falls on deaf ears, though, as most folks are actively tuning out the world with earbuds.
Old 07-31-18, 08:23 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
I rarely announce my passing. It just isn't necessary most of the time, and I find it is more likely to create a problem than solve one. I will use my bell if I think there is a decent chance the person may not hold their line. Very few people announce their passes where I ride. I can't remember the last time someone did when passing me.
Old 07-31-18, 08:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
I hear a bell. I look for an ice cream truck.
I salivate.
Old 07-31-18, 08:46 AM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by teoblar
I was complimented by a pedestrian who caught up to me at a stop light while getting off of a MUP. I had said 'passing on your left' as I usually do and he thanked me for my civility. 80% of the time my call-out falls on deaf ears, though, as most folks are actively tuning out the world with earbuds.
I receive a "thank you" from several pedestrians during most MUP rides.

Originally Posted by OBoile
I rarely announce my passing. It just isn't necessary most of the time, and I find it is more likely to create a problem than solve one. I will use my bell if I think there is a decent chance the person may not hold their line. Very few people announce their passes where I ride. I can't remember the last time someone did when passing me.
Please announce when passing. Don't try to predict what I will or won't do. Let me know you are back there. Thank you.
Old 07-31-18, 08:52 AM
OBoile

Please announce when passing. Don't try to predict what I will or won't do. Let me know you are back there. Thank you.
No. Like I said, it tends to cause more issues than it solves.
Old 07-31-18, 08:56 AM
memebag

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
No. Like I said, it tends to cause more issues than it solves.
I announce and it doesn't cause any issues. Maybe you're doing it wrong.
Old 07-31-18, 08:58 AM
OBoile

I announce and it doesn't cause any issues. Maybe you're doing it wrong.
Or maybe people aren't used to it (because very few people announce their passes where I ride) and it causes them to panic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.